Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
sulliweb
macrumors regular

Question about streaming

Ok, so I live in a fairly rural area... I've got a 3Mbps U-Verse connection, and I usually get about 2.9Mbps.

I've tried streaming Netflix and Hulu. Though, when watching TV, I often get distracted and miss something, and I'll want to rewind just a few seconds. When I go to rewind on Netflix on the ATV, the screen blacks out and then it's like it has to rebuffer the section that I want to watch. It's the same with fast forwarding. Is it just because I don't have enough bandwidth? Or is that just the way Netflix is?

I'm used to the stuff I've purchased off of iTunes (even watching through the purchased section) where it buffers it out completely, letting me fast forward and rewind as I like within what has been downloaded so far. Netflix on ATV and Hulu on my Blu-Ray player seem much different, as if I'm streaming specifically the frames I'm watching at that moment, no more, no less.

I've at this point cancelled my Netflix and Hulu trials because I'm just not that impressed. Am I doing something wrong? Or is that the expected way those services work? Sorry if it's a stupid question... As I said, I'm new to all this, and with a decent but not huge connection... I'm not sure who to blame, if anyone.

Just looking for a little more information before I give up or actually spend money.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:28 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliweb View Post
Ok, so I live in a fairly rural area... I've got a 3Mbps U-Verse connection, and I usually get about 2.9Mbps.

I've tried streaming Netflix and Hulu. Though, when watching TV, I often get distracted and miss something, and I'll want to rewind just a few seconds. When I go to rewind on Netflix on the ATV, the screen blacks out and then it's like it has to rebuffer the section that I want to watch. It's the same with fast forwarding. Is it just because I don't have enough bandwidth? Or is that just the way Netflix is?

Thanks!
Both. Netflix buffers the sections as you move forward or back. Your connection is also part of the issue. I am fortunate enough to have a 25MBps connection, so I never see the buffering unless Netflix is experiencing a problem.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
sulliweb
macrumors regular

Ok, thanks!

I figured part of it was the connection... Guess I'll hold off on streaming services until they open up more bandwidth in my area.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater