Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
I need some help deciding what route to take when selling my iPod collection and was wondering if anyone had some experience they could share. My collection includes:

Nano 2nd Gen - Blue 4GB
Classic 3rd Gen - 20GB
Classic 4th Gen - 15GB (Black and White screen)
Video - Black 30GB
iPhone 1st Gen - 4GB (turns on, functions as everything except a phone for some reason)

I'm wondering if you guys think these would be worth more individually or as a set, and where the best place to sell would be (eBay, Craigslist, ???).

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I need some help deciding what route to take when selling my iPod collection and was wondering if anyone had some experience they could share. My collection includes:

Nano 2nd Gen - Blue 4GB
Classic 3rd Gen - 20GB
Classic 4th Gen - 15GB (Black and White screen)
Video - Black 30GB
iPhone 1st Gen - 4GB (turns on, functions as everything except a phone for some reason)

I'm wondering if you guys think these would be worth more individually or as a set, and where the best place to sell would be (eBay, Craigslist, ???).

Do you have everything that came with each of these? If not, then the amount you'll be able to get for each of them isn't as much as you might think. Selling them individually is definitely the way to go unless you find a fellow collector that wants them.

For example, Apple might give you a gift card in exchange for these, but it won't be much at all. The last time I checked what my iPod video 30GB was worth, I was offered $48 from a retailer and they specifically stated that they didn't care if the box was included. This was two years ago, so I would assume that retailers that offer trade-ins would also not give you what you hope for.

Even though you didn't ask, I would guess that you cold get maybe $100 for everything. I say that because the iPhone doesn't work as a phone and the capacities for these are small compared to what's available now and they're not old enough yet to be of any "real" collector value. Does the iPhone have a sim card in it? If everything else works, then maybe all you need to do i get it to an AT&T store to see if anything is wrong with it.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Do you have everything that came with each of these? If not, then the amount you'll be able to get for each of them isn't as much as you might think. Selling them individually is definitely the way to go unless you find a fellow collector that wants them.

For example, Apple might give you a gift card in exchange for these, but it won't be much at all. The last time I checked what my iPod video 30GB was worth, I was offered $48 from a retailer and they specifically stated that they didn't care if the box was included. This was two years ago, so I would assume that retailers that offer trade-ins would also not give you what you hope for.

Even though you didn't ask, I would guess that you cold get maybe $100 for everything. I say that because the iPhone doesn't work as a phone and the capacities for these are small compared to what's available now and they're not old enough yet to be of any "real" collector value. Does the iPhone have a sim card in it? If everything else works, then maybe all you need to do i get it to an AT&T store to see if anything is wrong with it.

Thanks for the info. I do have everything for all of these products and they're all in very good to excellent condition cosmetically, so I figured it would be best to sell them piece by piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.