Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Jinsou
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Seriously Apple. People Don't change their TV's Yearly.

Yeah I'm pretty excited about the rumors of apple launching a "retina display/Siri/iTunes integrated/whatever else tv" And yeah I'll probably go out and get it. I currently own an HP Branded 32'' tv. And it's like from 2005, and it works like a charm, it was built by sharp.

I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter.

So what do you think Apple's plan for the TV business is? Somewhat like the Mac Pro?( and by that I mean it's the least they seem to care about when it comes to updating ) I mean people screw their Tv's to walls, do whole room changes to hook it up, it even feels like a pain just talking about it...

So.. Yearly change or maybe 2-3 years refresh?

Thoughts >>>
Jinsou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Probably a 2-3 year cycle for a HDTV. People don't upgrade every year but that doesn't matter as they don't upgrade their computers every year either.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
I think they will upgrade as newer/better technology becomes available
No, people don't upgrade TV's every year, but new customers will want to buy the latest technology
Nobody will be forced to upgrade
MacDawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:39 PM   #4
StevenB14
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I think they will upgrade as newer/better technology becomes available
No, people don't upgrade TV's every year, but new customers will want to buy the latest technology
Nobody will be forced to upgrade
As new customers buy the newer versions it will get to the point that there will be a different portion of the customer base wanting to upgrade their version of the TV every year. Provided this becomes a substantial amount then that would give Apple the justification to release a yearly TV upgrade.
__________________
Computer: 2012 15" MacBook Pro - 2.3GHz Quad-core i7, 8GB RAM, Hi-Res Antiglare Display
TV: Apple TV 3
Mobile devices: Apple iPad 4 32GB ~ Apple iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey
StevenB14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Nitrocide
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrocide Send a message via Skype™ to Nitrocide
Yeah, I could see them updating new tech as it comes along as they do with iPhone/iPad/MacBook's etc. Probably supporting major software updates for a few years. If I still had my original G5 Powermac it would still be useable today, but stuck on leopard.
__________________
Souq Studios
// Macbook Pro 2.66 i7 15" A/G /// iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
Nitrocide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsou View Post
I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter
Most people?

I very much doubt it.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
My dad just updated his CRT TV this month. He is a bit of a dinosaur though. I tend to upgrade all my tech the same. When it's either broken or no longer current. Eg to slow or missing latest features I really want/need. Mostly though if its still working I just move it to some other part of the house or pass it on to someone who needs it.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Nitrocide
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrocide Send a message via Skype™ to Nitrocide
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
Most people?

I very much doubt it.
Indeed, I've had 3 macs since 2003 and I almost feel like that's been a bit indulgent.
__________________
Souq Studios
// Macbook Pro 2.66 i7 15" A/G /// iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
Nitrocide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
xlii
macrumors 68000
 
xlii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millis, Massachusetts
I just upgraded our tube tv that we have owned since 1993. It still worked great but technology has passed it by and it was time to upgrade. I plan to keep this hdtv till it shows it's age. That should be at least 10 years or until they change the broadcast standards to some newer standard that it cannot receive.
xlii is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #10
waw74
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2008
and that's why a lot of people aren't buying the apple television rumors.



as far as retina display, most people already have one. at the distance you watch your TV from, it qualifies as retina.
a 50" 1080 becomes retina in less than 7 feet. source
waw74 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #11
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsou View Post
Yeah I'm pretty excited about the rumors of apple launching a "retina display/Siri/iTunes integrated/whatever else tv" And yeah I'll probably go out and get it. I currently own an HP Branded 32'' tv. And it's like from 2005, and it works like a charm, it was built by sharp.

I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter.

So what do you think Apple's plan for the TV business is? Somewhat like the Mac Pro?( and by that I mean it's the least they seem to care about when it comes to updating ) I mean people screw their Tv's to walls, do whole room changes to hook it up, it even feels like a pain just talking about it...

So.. Yearly change or maybe 2-3 years refresh?

Thoughts >>>
Um,TV manufacturers release new/updated models every year.You're saying Apple shouldn't??
__________________
I'm sure you care what Apple gear I have about as much as I care about yours,so I won't bother putting it here.
E.Lizardo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
goMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
All other TV manufacturers are on a yearly upgrade cycle. I'm not sure Apple would have to be, but I'm also not sure there is a reason why it would be unusual either.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:43 PM   #13
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I think they are looking at making more money off of content than hardware.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:00 PM   #14
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
The issue isn't the model cycle.

TVs are pretty much a commodity right now. You may prefer Samsung, and your neighbour may like Sony and your brother-in-law likes Panasonic, but they all do the same thing.

People are assuming:

1. People won't buy a TV just because it has an Apple logo on it. It has to be some kind of game changer.

2. If it is a game changer, there's the problem that most people who might be interested in it already have one or more large-screen TVs.

Through all the months of speculation I've yet to see an idea that seems both compelling enough to be a game-changer and possible. I am not for a minute convinced that people want to control their TV by voice or gesture, or want to use it for FaceTime. And I don't believe that Apple can deliver unique content.
__________________
nMP 6-core, D500, 32 GB, 1 TB rMBP 13" '13 2.4 gHz, 256 GB, 8GB iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Silver iPhone 5 64GB iPad Air 128
NewbieCanada is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:00 PM   #15
robjulo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Probably a 2-3 year cycle for a HDTV. People don't upgrade every year but that doesn't matter as they don't upgrade their computers every year either.
I don't know a single person who is on a 2-3 year cycle to upgrade their TVs.
robjulo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #16
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
I don't know a single person who is on a 2-3 year cycle to upgrade their TVs.
Why would they? In recent times the only incentive to buying a new TV was largely size or adding a second unit.

With the advent of so called Smart TV now there's a wider feature-set that users may be accustomed to and 3 years will make a big difference in the "smart" capabilities of the TV.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Mackan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
The more Apple products on the market, the more "forced" yearly upgrades we will see. That's how Apple's dollar business works. Will be a pain to be stuck in the Apple ecosystem when you own 5 Apple products that need yearly upgrade in order to function well together.
Mackan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:51 AM   #18
CocoaPuffs
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Come on, tell the truth: if Apple makes a toilet, you and I are upgrading it every year.
CocoaPuffs is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 AM   #19
wovel
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: America(s)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Um,TV manufacturers release new/updated models every year.You're saying Apple shouldn't??
Yep. Within 12 months of my last TV purchase, Samsung had made two updates to the model. If anything TV manufactures are changing things at a more rapid clip than many CE markets.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
The more Apple products on the market, the more "forced" yearly upgrades we will see. That's how Apple's dollar business works. Will be a pain to be stuck in the Apple ecosystem when you own 5 Apple products that need yearly upgrade in order to function well together.
You dont own a single Apple product do you? None of them are on a "forced" yearly upgrade schedule. Apple products receive longer free software updates than any competing devices on the market. They also release less new models than every other manufacturer.
wovel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:50 AM   #20
robjulo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Why would they? In recent times the only incentive to buying a new TV was largely size or adding a second unit.

With the advent of so called Smart TV now there's a wider feature-set that users may be accustomed to and 3 years will make a big difference in the "smart" capabilities of the TV.
Sorry, the vast percentage of consumers are not going to swap out a TV every 2-3 years to add features, especially when the large bulk of the Smart features can be had with a $75 Roku box.
robjulo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:50 AM   #21
ssgrif
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
My thoughts are that the new "tv" from apple is a smart tv as as such hardware wise refreshes will be around the 2-3 year cycle, simply because apple will look to provide additional functionality with software updates much like it does today with IOS.
__________________
__________________
ipad1 16GB
iPhone 5 32GB
TV2, TV3
ssgrif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:51 AM   #22
hismikeness
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
I think they are looking at making more money off of content than hardware.
Agreed. If there is a true game changer, I believe it will be with content delivery rather than hardware.
__________________
32gb iPhone 5, 64gb White iPad 3 - WiFi, 32gb White iPad Mini - WiFi, MacMini (2012)
hismikeness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #23
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My TV upgrade policy is...Buy the latest TV ( just done it a Sony Bravia 46" 3D ) for the living room.

Put the older TV in the bedroom.

Wait for the next MAJOR leap forward for the next upgrade. Since I just bought the Sony, and it's state of the art smart etc. I just couldn't justify the new Apple offering for at least a year.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:56 AM   #24
WRP
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsou View Post
I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter.
The MOST PEOPLE are stupid. I have a 5 year old Macbook Pro, 2010 Mac Pro (which I upgraded from Dual G5), I skip every other generation of iphone, have a 5 year old ipod and an original iPad. People who upgrade every year just want the newest shiny thing to puff their chest out, they don't NEED that crap. I bet 99% of the people who upgrade their computer every year have ZERO need to actually do so.
WRP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:56 AM   #25
aarond12
macrumors 6502a
 
aarond12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Dallas, TX USA
I just upgraded my 26" CRT TV, purchased in 1996, in the bedroom to a 32" LCD TV. I'm on the bleeding edge, man!
__________________
Voted "Most likely to start his own cult" by my high school class.
aarond12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I don't get you people. MarioModder91 Wasteland 22 Dec 11, 2013 06:34 PM
So many people with late 2013 problems. Are there people that don't have issues? phaselocked MacBook Pro 148 Nov 7, 2013 04:05 PM
I don't get why people are nauseous iOS7 rotobadger iOS 7 17 Oct 6, 2013 11:31 PM
Why don't people use something like InvisibleSHIELD? jason2811 iPhone 60 Sep 29, 2012 09:42 PM
Why don't people believe we've seen the new iPhone? *Should've Believed Me newyorksole iPhone 142 Sep 12, 2012 04:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC