Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
I'm confused about how I should be encoding video files for Apple TV and an occasional viewing on my iPad. Currently I'm using Handbrake and using the Universal setting. I'm happy with the file and on for example is 1.18 gig. I've heard a lot of good things about iVI and purchased it. I was surprised that the same movie resulted in a file size of 2.69 gig. As a test, I did the same thing in Handbrake with the Apple TV2 setting and the file size was 2.07 gig.

I realize the easy answer is to use the Universal setting because I'm happy with it and the file size is small. But am I missing something else?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm confused about how I should be encoding video files for Apple TV and an occasional viewing on my iPad. Currently I'm using Handbrake and using the Universal setting. I'm happy with the file and on for example is 1.18 gig. I've heard a lot of good things about iVI and purchased it. I was surprised that the same movie resulted in a file size of 2.69 gig. As a test, I did the same thing in Handbrake with the Apple TV2 setting and the file size was 2.07 gig.

I realize the easy answer is to use the Universal setting because I'm happy with it and the file size is small. But am I missing something else?

No, if you are happy with the quality, I see no reason to change what you're doing. Perceived video quality is subjective and also depends on viewing circumstances.

Personally, I don't worry about file size, as HD space is reasonably priced, but I tend to encode at the highest quality settings to future proof myself a little. Also, I am very sensitive to transcoding artifacts (pixelation/macroblock). I just tend to spot those things and once I spot them, it's all I see.

g00ner

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Milton Keynes, UK
What you may be finding is that iVI is using pass-thru mode to convert an MKV to M4V for e.g. So is just re-packaging with a few tweaks for compatabilty, whereas Handbrake is re-encoding the whole file with new bit rates etc. thus giving different file sizes (and encoding times).
I used to use Handbrake, but then moved to iVI and find it so much easier as a 'set it and forget' programme.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
What you may be finding is that iVI is using pass-thru mode to convert an MKV to M4V for e.g. So is just re-packaging with a few tweaks for compatabilty, whereas Handbrake is re-encoding the whole file with new bit rates etc. thus giving different file sizes (and encoding times).
I used to use Handbrake, but then moved to iVI and find it so much easier as a 'set it and forget' programme.

My tests were with MKV files so this may be the case. Is there a way to turn off pass thru mode.

g00ner

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Milton Keynes, UK
For speed I wouldn't turn off Pass Thru in iVI as it by far the quickest way to get M4V files for iTunes/aTV, for me it can take 10 minutes for a 8gb MKV to be 'repacked' with Pass Thru enabled in iVI, or an hour with it disabled as it will re-encode everything as with Handbrake.

If you do want to disable it it's here:

ML8fGg

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
I did a few tests and found that iVI produces a file size approximately the same size as Handbrake Universal is iVI is set to "other Apple mobile devices" only. Comparing that setting to HB Universal on my TV, I felt the iVI file looked like it had some noise in it where HB did not. This is really subjective and only tested on one movie in one spot so take it for what it's worth.

I like how iVI can watch a folder and automate the conversion process. Can anyone suggest tweaks I can do to iVI to increase the quality of the settings I used to improve the picture 10-15%?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.