Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder if they'll be passing any icebergs at night on her maiden voyage for old times sake?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I wonder if they'll be passing any icebergs at night on her maiden voyage for old times sake?
Well I would imagine the new ship would be unsinkable so it should not be a problem.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I wonder if Carnival which owns the White Star Line name would approve of a Titanic 2.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Any story about this requires the originator of the plan to be referred to as:

"Whack-a-doo Mining Magnate, Clive Palmer".

Here are his original plans:

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 196

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Any story about this requires the originator of the plan to be referred to as:

"Whack-a-doo Mining Magnate, Clive Palmer".

Here are his original plans:
I agree, even if this guy is worth billions I don't see how this idea pans out. It just seems way to far fetched and legally impossible.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I was worried about this attracting the attention of the oversea's media. As Chundles suggests, this guy is an absolute nutcase and an embarrassment to Australia.

He claimed recently that the CIA was secretly funding green political groups.

Billionaire mining magnate Clive Palmer has accused the Australian Greens of being in cahoots with a "foreign power" and the CIA to eat away at Australia's economic advantage.

But he denies he is a conspiracy theorist.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/clive-palmer-says-greens-in-cia-plot-20120320-1vhmm.html

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Now now, don't be silly. It took us a hundred years, but we finally managed to melt all the icebergs!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

I'll believe it when I see it.

I wonder if Carnival which owns the White Star Line name would approve of a Titanic 2.

If they don't approve, they'll probably just be bought out by the aforementioned tycoon. There is one thing about these mining-tycoons, they get what they want - and you don't dare get in their way. They have money to spare!

I was worried about this attracting the attention of the oversea's media. As Chundles suggests, this guy is an absolute nutcase and an embarrassment to Australia.

He claimed recently that the CIA was secretly funding green political groups.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/clive-palmer-says-greens-in-cia-plot-20120320-1vhmm.html

But he supports the conservative side of politics, so he can't be an embarrassment to the country. ;)

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
They should have a laser gun to melt icebergs by now.
Wonder, if Rose and Jack stand at the tail of the deck instead of the front deck, that will be awesome.
Jack!!!! I am flying backward.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Am I the only one who thinks this guy is crazy like a fox?

I mean, James Cameron has already given him all the free publicity he could possibly want. This guy makes it an authentic, early 20th century ride (with a few modern amenities, of course), and people will travel on it for a chance to capture the (real or imagined) romance of the era.

Politically this guy may be a nutcase, but I can see this working.

The only surprise is that Cameron didn't come up with the idea himself. :D

Titanic II: Electric Boogaloo
Okay, that made me laugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.