Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2005
What if Apple simply bumps the processor on the iMac next week? No USB 3, no Nvidia card, no anti glare screen. After the 9to5mac article and the mystery Geekbench scores I'm not sure what to think.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I can't come up with a reason that they would have waited until all of the 2012 GPUs are released and still just done a CPU jump. If they wanted to do just CPU they could have done that before WWDC.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
If it was what you call just a CPU Bump then we would also get a GPU bump with USB3. I just hope we can get some sort of ssd options as that would improve performance SO much!

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I can't come up with a reason that they would have waited until all of the 2012 GPUs are released and still just done a CPU jump. If they wanted to do just CPU they could have done that before WWDC.

Exactly. Something's up. I hope they've learned their lesson about lame updates with the Mac Pro.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
I just hope we can get some sort of ssd options as that would improve performance SO much!

I couldn't agree more. This will determine whether or not I go for the 2012 iMac (if it ever appears). I don't want to pay the ludicrous amount of money for the BTO SSD option.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Except that USB is affordable. The cable alone for TB costs twice as much a USB 3.0 enclosure with cable.

For the moment it does.

For my money, I'd buy a TB enclosure before I would by a USB3 enclosure.

I have one notebook here that has USB3, it's useless to me ... totally useless.

It's kinda like that other interface that I never used ..... esata.

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
For my money, I'd buy a TB enclosure before I would by a USB3 enclosure.

For Time Machine, I'd like USB 3.0, have the drive already. I'm hopeful Apple will add a small, affordable SSD boot option. If they don't, I'm waffling between an external TB enclosure and opening my new iMac to install an SSD boot drive. Yeah, I'm cheap. :)

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Whether the new iMac releases or not, we are going to be SURPRISED!! I just hope I won't be disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.