Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1
starstreak
macrumors 6502

Newbie questions on using ipod and stuff

I have some questions on using the ipod. I did do a search on idexing and search but couldn't find an answer.

I stored all my music on the ipod. About 5000 files. I want to look for a song title. Lets say it's called "rain". I don't know anything but the title or maybe part of the title. How can I find the title? If I use "title" it starts in the "A's". How can I jump to "R's"? Or if the title is called "The rain" can I do a search for just a partial name?"

Also, how do I store stuff like "audiobooks" or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. I have my harry potter book(yes, I read/listen to it) as a bunch of mp3's. How do I store it in the audiobook folder?

And is it just me or does plugging in this ipod into the computer to use as a harddrive takes a long time to be found? I think I must've done the unplug/replug like 3 times and each time it takes at least 25-35seconds for the computer to find it. My portable harddrive (one of those that require no power and plugs into a 2.0 usb port) is found and usable in about 5-10sec. Does it look for itunes or something?

Also when using itunes, it first synced it named my ipod "startreak's ipod". Now I noticed it labeled my ipod "starstreak'" in windows. If I change the name in windows, will it screwup my itunes and I have to resync everything again?

Lastly, I told it to look in my music folder. When it got done, I used that feature that copies my mp3 to an ipod folder thinking this would help alot and I had dups in the playlist. This is a playlist I'm looking at in itunes right? Not a listing of all my music? So the only way to remove the dups is go and delete every dup one by one. Needless to say, 1 hour to weed the dups was not fun. And since all of this was copied to my ipod folder, it removed about 4 gigs of dups. PLEASE tell me there was an easier way to clean the playlist.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:31 PM   #2
pashazade
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak
I stored all my music on the ipod. About 5000 files. I want to look for a song title. Lets say it's called "rain". I don't know anything but the title or maybe part of the title. How can I find the title? If I use "title" it starts in the "A's". How can I jump to "R's"? Or if the title is called "The rain" can I do a search for just a partial name?"
That's what the scroll wheel is for, as you scroll the speed will accelerate, once you get nearer to 'rain' you just slow down until you zero in what you want. It's hard to describe as it is so natural

Quote:
Also, how do I store stuff like "audiobooks" or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. I have my harry potter book(yes, I read/listen to it) as a bunch of mp3's. How do I store it in the audiobook folder?
As I don't have any i'm not sure but I think you to set the genre to Audiobooks and then it will be picked up by the audiobooks playlist. Otherwise wit will just be in your music list.

Quote:
Also when using itunes, it first synced it named my ipod "startreak's ipod". Now I noticed it labeled my ipod "starstreak'" in windows. If I change the name in windows, will it screwup my itunes and I have to resync everything again?
I'm not sure, but why don't you change the name in iTunes?

Quote:
Lastly, I told it to look in my music folder. When it got done, I used that feature that copies my mp3 to an ipod folder thinking this would help alot and I had dups in the playlist. This is a playlist I'm looking at in itunes right? Not a listing of all my music? So the only way to remove the dups is go and delete every dup one by one. Needless to say, 1 hour to weed the dups was not fun. And since all of this was copied to my ipod folder, it removed about 4 gigs of dups. PLEASE tell me there was an easier way to clean the playlist.
I use 'Show Duplicates from the Edit Menu to identify the duplicates and delete from there. When you say you had dupes in your playlist, did you mean a playlist called Library? If so this is a list of all your tracks not a Library.
pashazade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:41 PM   #3
starstreak
macrumors 6502

Thanks, i'll try some of that. LOL. I never knew there was a show dup. Damn, could've used that.

edited 7/29

K, tried the dup. THANKS! I actually found a lot more files.

Also tried the scroll wheel. Although I have about 5k songs, it took like 10 secs to scroll to the end. Interesting. Still wish they gave a alphabet search first to the first letter of the song. But it's liveable.

Maybe I'm using the wrong words. In the very beginning, it asked me to name my ipod. So it named it "Starstreak's ipod". From windows, it breaks down to "Starstreak'" which is ugly. Can I change the name to something shorter without messing up everything?

Last edited by starstreak; Jul 29, 2005 at 01:56 PM.
starstreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod