Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
I have 24 gB free out of the box, thats really little, I expected at least 30 or so. What should I delete to free up some space

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Dynamyk said:
I have 24 gB free out of the box, thats really little, I expected at least 30 or so. What should I delete to free up some space

It might help to tell us what kind of computer, OS version, and what size hard drive you're talking about.... ;)

But assuming you're on Tiger and OSX, and you have a 40GB HD, the formatted capacity is about 37GB, and it will be tough for the basic install footprint to be much less than 4GB, with another 2-3 for swap space and the spotlight directory, but you might be able to get up to 30. Is Garageband installed? Garageband takes up > 1GB by itself, IIRC. You can delete the games and any other bundle software that come pre-installed with OS X on the consumer line.

You can get rid of international language support, but this is more intensive. It will give you maybe another 0.5-0.7 GB back.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Deleting international languages can free up a gig on new installs, depending on the machine of course. Get yourself a copy of delocalizer from versiontracker.com, it works with Tiger. Otherwise, I mean, you expected how much usuable space on the drive anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.