Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
I've noticed recently that some of my smooth launchpad icons have become pixelated after recent updates.

So far, this applies to the VLC and iPhoto icons. I just updated iPhoto, after which the icon changed to a crummy looking one. I assumption is that this has something to do with programs "updating" for the rMPB, but what about the rest of us?

Is anyone else having this issue?

Any tips? I want my crisp and clean icons back!

----------

I tried deleting VLC and re-installing. No change to the icon.

Kevin808

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2007
Boston
Same here, but with iTeleport and Yoink.

----------

Some info while poking around other forums:

//////////////////

Just installed Mountain Lion last night as an upgrade to Lion on a '11 MacBook Air. Each of the applications that were subsequently updated (iPhoto, Garage Band, Pages, Numbers, etc) suddenly had blurry/pixelated images within the Launchpad for me -- the rest were crisp / clear, including the new ones that Mountain Lion brought along. So, for me at least, there seemed to be a connection with blurry Launchpad icons and applications that had been updated after the Mountain Lion update.

While poking around, I saw that over here http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57839/my-launchpad-organization-was-res et-with-mountain-lion-how-can-i-recover-it there was an answer about having the Launchpad rebuild itself. That author in turn attributes it to this article here http://www.scriptedlizard.com/thevault/os-x-lion-tip-rebuild-launchpad-database. The original author advises caution as this involves messing with the Terminal. But, the comments in both locations seem to indicate this clears up Launchpad problems others have too, though they do note that it'll get rid of any groupings / arrangements you may have done within Launchpad.

So, I gave it a shot (made sure of my backups, renamed the specified file for later retrieval if needed, then rebooted) and it cleared up the blurry Launchpad icons for me.

/////////////

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.