Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:16 AM   #1
NbinHD
macrumors 6502

How much will the price of the iPhone go down?

So here is the plan. My iPhone 4 plan is running out in October, and I'm not planning (unless the iPhone 5 is extraordinary) on upgrading to the iPhone 5 as I simply don't use my iPhone enough to make it worthwhile paying so much for a iPhone on plan (I'm 15, and planning on unlocking my iPhone 4 and selling it). So here is my question. How much will the HTC One X and/or the Samsung Galaxy SIII go down in price? Unlocked and/or on a plan totaling $1000 on plan. Or because I'm not keen on Android, how much will the iPhone 4s go down in price and how much will the iPhone 4 price go down? I think the iPhone 4s should be good for me. Thanks, anyway.
NbinHD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Twixt
macrumors 6502

Maybe you should check historical numbers (4 vs 4s and SG2) so as to get a first idea.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
JAT
macrumors 603

USA? The latest iPhone starts at $200, with contract. The prior version is usually $100. Top Android phones start at $300 usually, then drop in price over a few months. They also become available from 3rd parties like tigerdirect.com for less, eventually getting to $0. Best Buy will probably close out some excess i4s phones once the "5" comes out at various prices. Other countries are totally different.

Frankly, if you can't afford $200 instead of $0 once every 2 years , then you can't afford a smartphone plan every month with a top phone. It's about managing money, and saving a bit for the one-time portion of a purchase. Same goes for phones, cars, etc. When you are in your mid-teens is the time to start learning how to do this correctly. If you want an expensive device like a top-end smartphone, learn to save a bit each month, so you have the $2-300 when it is time to buy a new phone. Don't just look at the monthly cost. $300 over 2 years is $12.50/month. Save it. And don't touch it until it is time.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Furifo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
USA? The latest iPhone starts at $200, with contract. The prior version is usually $100. Top Android phones start at $300 usually, then drop in price over a few months. They also become available from 3rd parties like tigerdirect.com for less, eventually getting to $0. Best Buy will probably close out some excess i4s phones once the "5" comes out at various prices. Other countries are totally different.

Frankly, if you can't afford $200 instead of $0 once every 2 years , then you can't afford a smartphone plan every month with a top phone. It's about managing money, and saving a bit for the one-time portion of a purchase. Same goes for phones, cars, etc. When you are in your mid-teens is the time to start learning how to do this correctly. If you want an expensive device like a top-end smartphone, learn to save a bit each month, so you have the $2-300 when it is time to buy a new phone. Don't just look at the monthly cost. $300 over 2 years is $12.50/month. Save it. And don't touch it until it is time.
This. So very this.
I WANT the latest and greatest but I'm 21 + a med student which basically means there's no way that I can afford to purchase something expensive outright. Instead, I plan in advance what I wish to buy and save up slowly over time. I usually manage to get myself a summer job during the holidays. Most of the money that I earn, I save up.

All in all, it becomes a game of patience but it has served me well over the years and has taught me how to manage my money effectively.
Furifo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone