Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
So here is the plan. My iPhone 4 plan is running out in October, and I'm not planning (unless the iPhone 5 is extraordinary) on upgrading to the iPhone 5 as I simply don't use my iPhone enough to make it worthwhile paying so much for a iPhone on plan (I'm 15, and planning on unlocking my iPhone 4 and selling it). So here is my question. How much will the HTC One X and/or the Samsung Galaxy SIII go down in price? Unlocked and/or on a plan totaling $1000 on plan. Or because I'm not keen on Android, how much will the iPhone 4s go down in price and how much will the iPhone 4 price go down? I think the iPhone 4s should be good for me. Thanks, anyway.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Maybe you should check historical numbers (4 vs 4s and SG2) so as to get a first idea.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
USA? The latest iPhone starts at $200, with contract. The prior version is usually $100. Top Android phones start at $300 usually, then drop in price over a few months. They also become available from 3rd parties like tigerdirect.com for less, eventually getting to $0. Best Buy will probably close out some excess i4s phones once the "5" comes out at various prices. Other countries are totally different.

Frankly, if you can't afford $200 instead of $0 once every 2 years , then you can't afford a smartphone plan every month with a top phone. It's about managing money, and saving a bit for the one-time portion of a purchase. Same goes for phones, cars, etc. When you are in your mid-teens is the time to start learning how to do this correctly. If you want an expensive device like a top-end smartphone, learn to save a bit each month, so you have the $2-300 when it is time to buy a new phone. Don't just look at the monthly cost. $300 over 2 years is $12.50/month. Save it. And don't touch it until it is time.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
USA? The latest iPhone starts at $200, with contract. The prior version is usually $100. Top Android phones start at $300 usually, then drop in price over a few months. They also become available from 3rd parties like tigerdirect.com for less, eventually getting to $0. Best Buy will probably close out some excess i4s phones once the "5" comes out at various prices. Other countries are totally different.

Frankly, if you can't afford $200 instead of $0 once every 2 years , then you can't afford a smartphone plan every month with a top phone. It's about managing money, and saving a bit for the one-time portion of a purchase. Same goes for phones, cars, etc. When you are in your mid-teens is the time to start learning how to do this correctly. If you want an expensive device like a top-end smartphone, learn to save a bit each month, so you have the $2-300 when it is time to buy a new phone. Don't just look at the monthly cost. $300 over 2 years is $12.50/month. Save it. And don't touch it until it is time.

This. So very this.
I WANT the latest and greatest but I'm 21 + a med student which basically means there's no way that I can afford to purchase something expensive outright. Instead, I plan in advance what I wish to buy and save up slowly over time. I usually manage to get myself a summer job during the holidays. Most of the money that I earn, I save up.

All in all, it becomes a game of patience but it has served me well over the years and has taught me how to manage my money effectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.