Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Birone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I guess the question is asked in the subject, but I'm getting a MBA in the next few weeks, most likely from macmall. Would anyone know if the new stock will ship with Mountain Lion? Just wondering because of the closeness of the release data of mountain lion.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
Mountain Lion won't be on new stock until it is released from my experience. If ML were released tomorrow the stores would still have to deplete their supply of Lion pre-loaded machines before the ML loaded machines would be shipping. I don't know how Apple handles it from their own retail stores. I suspect they might do the same thing considering the cost of reimaging every system in the store and having to repackage everything after its done.

I thought if you bought a Mac after the announcement date they would give you the ML upgrade for free. Just a couple hours extra to download and install when it is released.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Most likely a couple of weeks but you can download Mountain Lion for free once it's released if you buy a computer now.

Birone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
The option I'm getting will give me the free upgrade whenever its released. Just curious if having it natively imaged when shipped would be less of a hassle than getting it when released. But IMO the apple OS updates are painless and brilliant.

Thanks.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Mountain Lion won't be on new stock until it is released from my experience. If ML were released tomorrow the stores would still have to deplete their supply of Lion pre-loaded machines before the ML loaded machines would be shipping. I don't know how Apple handles it from their own retail stores. I suspect they might do the same thing considering the cost of reimaging every system in the store and having to repackage everything after its done.
FWIW, when I worked at Apple, before the Mac App Store, the Inventory team would open the tops of all of the new Macs just enough to slip in an OS upgrade DVD.

Since the Mac App Store, they don't do anything, as you can download the OS upgrade for free.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
FWIW, when I worked at Apple, before the Mac App Store, the Inventory team would open the tops of all of the new Macs just enough to slip in an OS upgrade DVD.

Since the Mac App Store, they don't do anything, as you can download the OS upgrade for free.

... and from what I understand, ML can only be accessed via App Store, not DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.