Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beherit7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Is there anyway i can make using boootcamp a more enjoyable experience? Nothing scales, so im forced to use a crappier resolution, which makes everything look like crap. Does anyone think this will ever be updated?

dude4

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
i dont think its fair to blame bootcamp for windows being crappy
anyway
google changing the DPI setting in windows

tspinning

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
I run the Mac side at 1680x1050 and also use VMware Fusion, it's great and the Native Windows side is solid too.

My settings: Native Windows 1680x1050

Then in windows, right click desktop and go to screen resolution
Then click Make text or other items larger or smaller

Choose Smaller - 100%

This made it look great for me.

-=-=-
In Fusion My resolution is 1446x919, also right click start bar and set to use small icons.

Both VMFusion native mode and Unity view look great now. Booting into Windows looks flawless.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
And when it does it wont be able to fix how Windows is designed. This is a Windows issue not an MacBook Pro Retina issue, not an Apple issue, not a Bootcamp issue.

Apple does write custom code for bootcamp tho. The keyboard for instance has the onscreen eject/brightness/volume pop-up graphics that mac has. It is not beyond possibility that Apple could update bootcamp to GPU scale in windows.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Title should be "Windows blows on retina".

Boot Camp is doing everything it should.

Windows will probably scale the way OS X does the day they announce Windows PCs with a similar resolution. You've got to give time for Windows OEMs to react the the rMBP, making a laptop takes time. Maybe in one year, if they decide to coincide their launch with Haswell.

BB.King

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
London UK
I have Windows 7 running in full screen at native 2880X1800 resolution using VM Ware Fusion 4. It runs great with DPI set to 140%, much better than Lion with full resolution.

So I don't think you can blame Windows.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have Windows 7 running in full screen at native 2880X1800 resolution using VM Ware Fusion 4. It runs great with DPI set to 140%, much better than Lion with full resolution.

So I don't think you can blame Windows.

So the issue is just the user not know how to properly set it up. That's good to know, as I will be installing bootcamp on my rMBP.

GoSooners

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
I don't see any issues. I think it looks just as good in OSX with the native setting 2880x1800 with text set to 150% - 175%.

Thors.Hammer

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
Apple does write custom code for bootcamp tho. The keyboard for instance has the onscreen eject/brightness/volume pop-up graphics that mac has. It is not beyond possibility that Apple could update bootcamp to GPU scale in windows.

Bootcamp is being used as an umbrella term. There's the Bootcamp Assistant app in OS X, the actual boot loader, then there are the "bootcamp" drivers that are installed for Windows. They are really three different things.

The bootcamp assistant app (utility) and loader aren't really required to install Windows on a Mac. You can take a Windows DVD and wipe the drive of a Mac and install.

The "bootcamp" drivers are just the device drivers for the devices in the chassis. It isn't a lot different from other Intel based PC's. Apple doesn't actually write all the drivers. They package them up for convenience.

houkouonchi

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Ouch. You must be young and have hawk eyes.

No, just properly corrected vision.

I am 27 years old. My right eye is -5.75 diopters and my left eye is -4.75.

My dad is 54 years old and has worse eyes than me. He has been using reading glasses since around age 40.

At work and home he uses a 204 PPI monitor (22 inch 3840x2400) which is only slightly bigger than the macbook pro's 220 PPI. I used my macbook pro to drive this same monitor as i have one at work and I can't even tell the difference in size on them. He also uses default 96 dpi scaling and has absolutely zero problem. My sister uses the same monitor as well (I gave her my old one) and also no problem. I think its just being conditioned for high res/real-estate. Back in the leary 2000s i was using a 2560x1920 resolution 22 inch CRT (165 dpi?)

armandsmit

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Windows 7 Drivers for Retina

In my experience BootCamp does blow on Retina.
And not because of DPI settings or any Windows-blamed issues.

I cannot get all the drivers to install properly.
I have re-installed Win7 a couple of times. 32 and 64bit.
I checked the box to download the latest drivers with the install.

I cannot get all the drivers running.
No network drivers (so I can't even connect the rMBP to the internet to search for drivers), no camera drivers, no USB drivers (so I cannot even insert a USB drive if I found new drivers).

Check the Device Manager in the Windows Control Panel to see if there are any unknown devices on your rMBP. Mine has about 10.

I've searched the net and cannot find a separate package with the drivers to download. No real support from Apple.

Even the display is detected as a Standard Graphics Adapter and is capable of no 3D graphics.

How can I resolve this problem??

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
I have my res set to 1920x1200 in bootcamp.. DPI is 125% w/ XP Style UNCHECKED. Having it unchecked will give you a sharper image.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
In my experience BootCamp does blow on Retina.
And not because of DPI settings or any Windows-blamed issues.

I cannot get all the drivers to install properly.
I have re-installed Win7 a couple of times. 32 and 64bit.
I checked the box to download the latest drivers with the install.

I cannot get all the drivers running.
No network drivers (so I can't even connect the rMBP to the internet to search for drivers), no camera drivers, no USB drivers (so I cannot even insert a USB drive if I found new drivers).

Check the Device Manager in the Windows Control Panel to see if there are any unknown devices on your rMBP. Mine has about 10.

I've searched the net and cannot find a separate package with the drivers to download. No real support from Apple.

Even the display is detected as a Standard Graphics Adapter and is capable of no 3D graphics.

How can I resolve this problem??

I'd suggest you to install Apple's Boot Camp drivers instead of checking automatically downloading new drivers during the installation. And you should install the 64-bit version.

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
Audio quality is of lower quality in Bootcamp then in OSX. You can really tell with iTunes or any high quality music. It sounds more lush in OSX while in bootcamp it's harsher.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
yep. the drivers that came with the bootcamp package when i installed windows via usb.

The diff is def. there. Only through the macbook built in speakers though.

oooh, well I havn't tested the built in speakers through bootcamp and probably will rarely use them haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.