Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrraven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Toronto
I'm an early adopter but a reluctant upgrader, LOL. When iOS5 first came out there were lots of reports of problems, including lost photos and data, so I put it off. I'm not crazy about giving up control of syncing, so Photostream sounds scary to me too. My iPhone4 is still running 4.3.2. Am I crazy to not upgrade? Or are there others out there who have either gone back to iOS4 or who wish you'd never upgraded?

dbrewster

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
1. Learn the steps needed so that you can downgrade just in case you don't find iOS 5 compelling enough.

2. I believe you should upgrade. iOS 5 is a major release, so you're missing out on a lot.

3. Take note though that iOS 4 appears smoother, at least to me, on an iPhone 4.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I held out on iOS 5 for 6 months after release to make sure all my apps were compatible, including an outdated version of Skype. Once I had confirmation that all apps were compatible, I did the upgrade. iOS 5 is just as fast as iOS4 and the improvements to notification center are wonderful. The text tones are worse than in iOS 4, but at least you can use your own without jailbreaking now. There's also a camera button on the unlock screen. iMessage is really great.

The only major downgrade is that you lose the ability to turn off all notifications. Now you have to go into each app option and turn off about 5 different settings. In other words, going to meetings is a pain in the ass with iOS5.

iOS6, on the other hand, does look more like a downgrade, and probably will run slow on the ip4.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I'm an early adopter but a reluctant upgrader, LOL. When iOS5 first came out there were lots of reports of problems, including lost photos and data, so I put it off. I'm not crazy about giving up control of syncing, so Photostream sounds scary to me too. My iPhone4 is still running 4.3.2. Am I crazy to not upgrade? Or are there others out there who have either gone back to iOS4 or who wish you'd never upgraded?

You can turn photostream off.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I held out on iOS 5 for 6 months after release to make sure all my apps were compatible, including an outdated version of Skype. Once I had confirmation that all apps were compatible, I did the upgrade. iOS 5 is just as fast as iOS4 and the improvements to notification center are wonderful. The text tones are worse than in iOS 4, but at least you can use your own without jailbreaking now. There's also a camera button on the unlock screen. iMessage is really great.

The only major downgrade is that you lose the ability to turn off all notifications. Now you have to go into each app option and turn off about 5 different settings. In other words, going to meetings is a pain in the ass with iOS5.

iOS6, on the other hand, does look more like a downgrade, and probably will run slow on the ip4.

I agree with most of what you said, but two things regarding iOS 6- beta 3 so far runs exactly the same as 5.1.1 did on my iPhone 4, so it's definitely not a downgrade as far as performance is concerned so far. Also, the Do Not Disturb feature in iOS 6 solves the issue you're describing with the notifications.

In any case, I would recommend to the OP that you go ahead and upgrade to iOS 5 now and then iOS 6 when it comes out in a couple months- iOS 5 is worth it based on features alone, and iOS 6 provides some nice refinements to the system.

rrraven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Toronto
Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like I should take the plunge, once I make sure everything is backed up somewhere that it can't be inadvertently overwritten.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.