Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Just Bought a New iPod

Well I just sold my 1G iPod mini with a dock for $185. I took that money and put it right back into Apple, though, and bought a 20 GB iPod w/ Color screen. I'm so excited! I just had to share with you guys!!! I'll post some pictures later if you guys want, even though I'm sure there are already tons up on the net
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:40 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Nice.

Is the colour screen as easy to read out in the sunlight?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
Nice.

Is the colour screen as easy to read out in the sunlight?
I'll go outside and check... if it's still light enough!

edit: Well with what light was left, I tested it out. Without the backlight, it is difficult (which is understandable), but with the backlight, at least in these conditions, it was clear as day. Perfectly readable. I will conduct more extensive tests tomorrow

Last edited by Capt Underpants; Jul 29, 2005 at 07:44 PM.
Capt Underpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:47 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Thanks for that Capt Underpants. I forgot it wasn't 10:00AM everywhere at the moment... Oops.

I've been thinking of replacing my hacked up 4G (got hit by a car and it went flying ) but I'm not sure about the screen yet. We can get pretty harsh sunlight down here so I need something that'll still be easy to read. Sounds like it'll be fine though.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:10 PM   #5
iGary

Congrats and enjoy!
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Jedi128
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about the color screen. I don't think Apple is that stupid... It will work in the light. What I find with my 3rd Gen. iPod is that it works better in the light without the backlight on. Kinda weird... anyway I've never had a troubles and I don't think you would with the color screen..........
Jedi128 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:09 PM   #7
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGary
Congrats and enjoy!
Oh I will, iGary!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

My Grados and their new friend, iPod

Snow Patrol pwns...

And finally, my iPod's final resting place

sorry the iPod's screen was overexposed!!!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:10 PM   #8
DarkNetworks
macrumors 68000

Enjoy...
DarkNetworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:24 PM   #9
blackpeter
macrumors 6502a

Get thee an iSkin! ...or suffer the conquences.

Enjoy your new iPod (colour). I know I love my 40BG iPod Photo...
blackpeter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
Get thee an iSkin! ...or suffer the conquences.

Enjoy your new iPod (colour). I know I love my 40BG iPod Photo...
I know that I should probably buy one to protect my investment, here... but I had one for my mini (bless her soul), and I never used it. It made the iPod feel unnecessarily bulky. Plus I have to take it out of the iSkin to dock it. It's just a pain, IMO.

But I'll look into other cases that seem less cumbersome
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:04 PM   #11
mcarnes
macrumors 68000

Smart man using the SR80s. The soul mate to the iPod. I've got some RS-1s with a Grado RA-1 amp using a Zu Pivot interconnect. But I use the SR80s a lot too. Nice to see someone on here knows something about 'phones.
mcarnes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:08 PM   #12
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarnes
Smart man using the SR80s. The soul mate to the iPod. I've got some RS-1s with a Grado RA-1 amp using a Zu Pivot interconnect. But I use the SR80s a lot too. Nice to see someone on here knows something about 'phones.
If they had a jealousy smilie, I would use it. Those are some awesome cans, macarnes!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:58 PM   #13
rkristich
macrumors member

I'm glad to hear you like your new iPod! I recently upgraded from a 20 gig 3rd gen to a 30 gig color one. I had under 100 mb of space left on my 20, so when the 30 gb ones went on sale right after the line was shortened to only the 20 and 40 gb iPods, I got one for only $300 with my student discount.

The color screen is very nice, and I love always having my photos on hand. It's quite usuful if I want to show someone what my cat looks like, or something I saw on vacation. Plus it's fun to just browse through my photos when I'm out somewhere and bored (like in the waiting room at a doctor's office). You might also find that it's a lot more fun to play solitare with a color screen.

Oh, and mad jew, I live in Florida, and we get some pretty harsh sunlight here too (though not as bad as Australia, at least from what I remember when I was there about 3 years ago). The color screen looks great in the sunlight, as long as you have the backlight on. It doesn't look too bad without the backlight either, just a bit dimmer.

Capt Underpants, a nice case to look into would be the Contour Design Showcase. It makes your iPod look really nice; I've actually gotten quite a few compliments on it. It does add some bulk to your iPod, but it provides really great protection, and you can still enjoy the beauty of your iPod. My biggest worry when I bought it was the bulkiness, but it doesn't really matter at all to me anymore. It goes in and out of the case very easily, you just flip the latch up and take your iPod out or put it back in, so it's great if you want to dock your iPod. Silicone cases are a pain to get on and off, and other cases can scratch your iPod if you keep slipping it in and out. At $30, it is a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Oh, and if you do decide to get one, I'd recommend the black version over the white. The black just looks nicer, and the white one gets stained easily.
Links: here and here

Enjoy your new iPod!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:07 AM   #14
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Thanks rkristich. I always use the backlight anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #15
Stinkythe1
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Stinkythe1
Ok, I used to want an iPod, but then I came to my sences and realized that I only have 4gb of music and I don't run/walk/excersise, so anywhere I would be, I would have some kind of music source, but after seeing that color screen, I've kind of changed my mind.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:24 AM   #16
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkristich
Capt Underpants, a nice case to look into would be the Contour Design Showcase. It makes your iPod look really nice; I've actually gotten quite a few compliments on it. It does add some bulk to your iPod, but it provides really great protection, and you can still enjoy the beauty of your iPod. My biggest worry when I bought it was the bulkiness, but it doesn't really matter at all to me anymore. It goes in and out of the case very easily, you just flip the latch up and take your iPod out or put it back in, so it's great if you want to dock your iPod. Silicone cases are a pain to get on and off, and other cases can scratch your iPod if you keep slipping it in and out. At $30, it is a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Oh, and if you do decide to get one, I'd recommend the black version over the white. The black just looks nicer, and the white one gets stained easily.
Links: here and here

Enjoy your new iPod!
Thank you for the case recommendation, rkristich. I was looking for a case that was easy to take my iPod in and out of (for docking purposes) and it looks like you found one for me. I will definitely be considering this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkythe1
Ok, I used to want an iPod, but then I came to my sences and realized that I only have 4gb of music and I don't run/walk/excersise, so anywhere I would be, I would have some kind of music source, but after seeing that color screen, I've kind of changed my mind.
I apologize. It seems like my pictures just cost you $300
Old Jul 30, 2005, 08:49 AM   #17
KKKL
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to KKKL Send a message via MSN to KKKL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
Well I just sold my 1G iPod mini with a dock for $185. I took that money and put it right back into Apple, though, and bought a 20 GB iPod w/ Color screen. I'm so excited! I just had to share with you guys!!! I'll post some pictures later if you guys want, even though I'm sure there are already tons up on the net
congratulations!
PS: can you please give out the link of iTunes New Music Sampler with your new ipod?
Old Jul 30, 2005, 08:54 AM   #18
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
Make sure you get a good case that protects the screen, you don't want your bueatiful colour screen covered with ugly scratches. May I suggest Marware, they make a great case that protects the whole 'pod. Enjoy!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 09:01 AM   #19
maya
macrumors 68040

I have to say that there is a 50/50 split on this forum in regards to the iPod.

Some people don't care to hear anymore news about it while other rave all about a product that has been displayed on store shelves for the better part of the year.

Oh well, you have a "NEW TOY", congratulations and savor the excitement.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:32 AM   #20
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKKL
congratulations!
PS: can you please give out the link of iTunes New Music Sampler with your new ipod?
I didn't see anything about a new music sampler that came with my iPod. Can you explain further?
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:45 AM   #21
Lacero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaniac
Make sure you get a good case that protects the screen, you don't want your bueatiful colour screen covered with ugly scratches. May I suggest Marware, they make a great case that protects the whole 'pod. Enjoy!
Why waste the money? After 2 years, you won't care if your iPod is scratched or not.
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:47 AM   #22
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacero
Why waste the money? After 2 years, you won't care if your iPod is scratched or not.
This is part of the reason that I am apprehensive about getting a case. On one hand, it raises the retail value of the iPod when I do decide to sell it. On the other hand, it makes my iPod more cumbersome for the time that I own it. Ponderous...
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:16 AM   #23
iGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
This is part of the reason that I am apprehensive about getting a case. On one hand, it raises the retail value of the iPod when I do decide to sell it. On the other hand, it makes my iPod more cumbersome for the time that I own it. Ponderous...
Get one of the clear silicone-type cases. I had one on my 2G pod after two years it still looked almost new.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 04:21 PM   #24
JonMaker
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to JonMaker Send a message via MSN to JonMaker Send a message via Yahoo to JonMaker
I just got a new color 20gb iPod too.

The pics are good, but it's *much* better up close and personal.
JonMaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 04:39 PM   #25
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

So I'm up at Fry's Electronics looking for some stuff for my stepdad's new office setup, and I wander on over to the iPod accessories. My mother decides to join me, reaches for the back of the shelf, and pulls out none other than a white showcase iPod case (i know you suggested black, though). To make a long story short, I bought it... and it's awesome! Thank you for the recommendation! Maybe I should post pictures of the iPod in the case? Or maybe I'm just picture happy... after all, it is my new baby!

I agree, JonMaker. As good as the thing looks in pictures, it's always better in person

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod