Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:25 PM   #51
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

I just used super duper to clone my old ssd to my new samsung 830. Works perfectly. See the link in simsas post
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:31 PM   #52
ixodes
macrumors 601

Here we are using premium top of the line computers. Why someone would avoid buying highly useful software just because it was once free, is baffling.

I expect to pay, to play.

After all, I certainly don't work for free, nor do I allow discounts
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:19 PM   #53
bobcan
macrumors 6502a

Ding Ding Ding..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjazz View Post
I've used CCC several times to clone my backup HD to backup2 HD. Great program, but it's not free anymore. Is there any other program I can get for free to do the same job?
Agreed with MANY above.. C'mon..

If you HAVE used it previously as stated, and Liked It since you say it was GREAT, give the poor folks some money..
I think it is Well Worth It.. and only $40 and does MORE than ever!!

http://download.cnet.com/Carbon-Copy...-10169677.html

Last edited by bobcan; Oct 6, 2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Link Added
bobcan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:24 PM   #54
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcan View Post
Why the link from CNET and not the official one? Just curious.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:03 AM   #55
zjazz
macrumors regular

I'll definitely consider buying this program. I don't use it often though. Once in a while, but I don't mind paying for it in case I'll use it on a regular basis, it's a great program!
zjazz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:33 AM   #56
bobcan
macrumors 6502a

I trust them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Why the link from CNET and not the official one? Just curious.
No real reason except I have always Liked and Trusted 'Download.com' and they tend to have Links to the Original and other Programs they Offer, and a record of how many others have downloaded it as well ~ ~ which, to be honest, may or may not actually help you decide if it may be worthwhile!!

And also there are often fairly 'Unbiased Reviews' in case a person is thinking of Downloading a program and they may want to peruse these first as well..

Certainly I have never had a problem with them, but if anyone has and could convince me, I could be 'swayed away'.. fairly easily..
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:20 AM   #57
GermanyChris
Banned

Its a great program I use it all the time but I don't really want to pay for it...LOL ok you boss appreciates you work and wants you to continue coming in but doesn't really want to pay you..

You got a discount by the way if you paid (donated) when you didn't have to.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:15 AM   #58
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Here we are using premium top of the line computers. Why someone would avoid buying highly useful software just because it was once free, is baffling.

I expect to pay, to play.

After all, I certainly don't work for free, nor do I allow discounts
I've seen some great ones on here....

*Stripped screw on rMBP, buying $8 bag of screws is too expensive

* Refuse to pay more than $30 for a case

*Refuse to spend more than $30 on backpack/messenger bag

*I want to buy a iPhone but can't afford the contract
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:22 AM   #59
Kafka
macrumors 6502

I always preferred superduper anyway.
Kafka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:35 AM   #60
ccsicecoke
macrumors regular

$40 is a rip off. Any software that aims to individual market and is sold higher than the OS is rip off. That includes Aperture 3
ccsicecoke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:39 AM   #61
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsicecoke View Post
$40 is a rip off. Any software that aims to individual market and is sold higher than the OS is rip off. That includes Aperture 3
Developers work hard at producing quality applications - its foolish to think that its not worth it because its more expensive then the operating system.

Take Photoshop, lightroom, Aperture and many games in the MAS are more expensive then what apple is charging ML.
maflynn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:37 PM   #62
hfg
macrumors 68020

It wasn't free before ... you were supposed to donate to the author if you found it valuable to you, otherwise just delete it. It was on the honor system.

Apparently, not enough users did the honorable thing and paid for their usage, so he now charges for it, although you can still try it for free.

It is a good program, well supported, and worth the minimal cost he is charging!

-howard
hfg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:42 PM   #63
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
It wasn't free before ... you were supposed to donate to the author if you found it valuable to you, otherwise just delete it. It was on the honor system.
The honor system is used for shareware. Donationware on the other hand, has an optional donation if the given program is useful

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational unrestricted software to the user and requests an optional donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit). The amount of the donation may also be stipulated by the author, or it may be left to the discretion of the user, based on individual perceptions of the software's value. Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) when payment is optional, it is a type of freeware.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:45 PM   #64
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
It wasn't free before ...
It was free. Donations were cheerfully accepted, but not required.

What's new in CCC: Version 3.5.1
Quote:
CCC is no longer freeware. If you're using CCC 3.4 and would like to continue using it under the "free" model, do not install this update.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:38 PM   #65
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsicecoke View Post
I can tell you, CCC has saved my butt NUMEROUS times. I have cheerily paid their fee, as the alternative would have been years of lost memories, irreplaceable work, the ability to get back up and running in literally 1 minute, etc. I keep multiple backups, use TM, and even then, I have had to rely on my clone as the last good working copy of my OS. They continually update their product, have great tech support, and can even clone the reinstall boot partition. It's well worth $40 to me.
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:43 PM   #66
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

I will probably end up paying for it...however, I am tempted to wait until v4.0 comes out since Bombich has said that there will be "upgrade fees" for new versions and I don't want to buy something for $40 and have it outdated almost right away.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:00 PM   #67
maflynn

I still have the older free version and I don't need some of the newer features that the paid option offers. I'll wait until v 4.0 hits the streets before plunking down the $$.

I will say its a great app that has saved me on numerous occasions - it is a bit pricey though
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:07 AM   #68
Handyman1
macrumors newbie

+1 for SuperDuper! I've used it for years and it works great. It is extremely fast, and was recently updated for even more speed.

I think you can use it for free indefinitely, which is great if you only make a full image backup occasionally, but to get the speedy incremental backup feature you pay $28.

TimeMachine is still great too, and I use both (and BackBlaze too, for offsite backup).
Handyman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:00 AM   #69
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman1 View Post
I think you can use it for free indefinitely, which is great if you only make a full image backup occasionally, but to get the speedy incremental backup feature you pay $28.
CCC is free for versions 3.4.6 and earlier, there is no charge for incremental backups, and unlike SuperDuper!, CCC backs up the OS X recovery partition. Of course, use whatever works for you.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:33 AM   #70
thekb
macrumors 6502

Reviving an old thread on Carbon Copy Cloner ...

I have no problem paying $40 for the software that works very well, but my issue is that I have several computers and the license appears to be "individual" which, to me, means per computer. Is that right? I will not pay $120 for backup software for my household. Not gonna happen. Am i reading "individual" wrong?
thekb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:56 AM   #71
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekb View Post
Reviving an old thread on Carbon Copy Cloner ...

I have no problem paying $40 for the software that works very well, but my issue is that I have several computers and the license appears to be "individual" which, to me, means per computer. Is that right? I will not pay $120 for backup software for my household. Not gonna happen. Am i reading "individual" wrong?
You can install it on any computer "you own or control" with just one license.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:22 PM   #72
richnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjazz View Post
I'll definitely consider buying this program. I don't use it often though. Once in a while, but I don't mind paying for it in case I'll use it on a regular basis, it's a great program!
That's the thing, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost... But if it goes on sale for something like $19.95, I'll bite
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:07 PM   #73
steveoc
macrumors regular

I discovered that since I donated $10 years ago, that the new version was free. All I had to do is produce a record of the donation. Had everyone made a small donation…
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:49 PM   #74
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoc View Post
I discovered that since I donated $10 years ago, that the new version was free. All I had to do is produce a record of the donation. Had everyone made a small donation…
Same with me. I had previously donated (I think $20)... and I got the upgrade for free.

/Jim
flynz4 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:04 PM   #75
Snowy_River
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
I occasionally use CCC, and I'm sorry to hear about the new price tag. I'd agree with many here that $20-$25 would be a much more palatable price. While it may be true that the advanced features of CCC are worth $40, by pricing it for the advanced features the author is cutting off the portion of the audience that would use it for more minor tasks. As this audience is almost certainly many times the size of the advanced user audience, this does strike me as a marketing mistake.

My analysis, in "numbers"

Assume that <basic users>=3x<advanced users>

At a price point that <basic users> won't buy ($40):

Income=$40x<advanced users>

At a price point that <basic users> will buy ($20):

Income=$20x(<advanced users>+<basic users>)=$20x(<advanced users>+3x<advance users>)=$60x<advanced users>

Of course, it's not quite as simple and straight forward as that. But it gets my point across, I think.

For me, I'm a basic user and I'll keep using the older version. Perhaps if CCC shows up in one of those bundles, I'll get a newer version that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
*I want to buy a iPhone but can't afford the contract
To be fair, the required data contract is quite expensive. I'd be quite happy to buy a used, unlocked iPhone (i.e. no subsidy) to have the functionality, then keep the cell data off, but even then the phone company says that they require a data plan. That's where I balk.
Snowy_River is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
bombich, carbon copy cloner, ccc