Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smithey1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Had my iPad side by side with a friends iPad 2 today and the difference was like night and day. First of the screen is so much crisper and sharper and colours more vivid on iPad 3. Text and fonts are a lot sharper and easier to read. Also the speed difference is slightly noticeable as well. Made my decision on paying the extra a lot more satisfying and tbh I would recommend anyone considering a iPad 2 at this don't spend the extra and get the iPad 3

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I went from an iPad 1 to the new iPad and love it
I added a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard as well

However, there are many like me, whose eyes aren't that good (reading glasses), who honestly don't see the huge retina difference
I see some slight differences, but nothing that really amazes me
Mostly I see it in the text, but I never had an issue with the text on my iPad 1

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I went from an iPad 1 to the new iPad and love it
I added a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard as well

However, there are many like me, whose eyes aren't that good (reading glasses), who honestly don't see the huge retina difference
I see some slight differences, but nothing that really amazes me
Mostly I see it in the text, but I never had an issue with the text on my iPad 1
Just for fun, I've kept each iPad I've bought, 1, 2, & 3. So far I've been lucky, my eyes are still 20/20. In my experience, while the retina is nice, I don't see that much difference either.

But I do understand it's human nature for a huge number of buyers to make outlandish claims in order to feel good about their purchase. It's also part of the Apple culture to brag about the products.

The great advantage of retina is Apples clever naming scheme they've used. As a result they can convince people to believe their lofty claims about how "resolutionary" it is.

Yet this has been a long time, highly successful Apple practice. Give products cute names, hype them like crazy & people buy into it.

Why call it what it really is when you can invent a clever name. Why say wifi when you can call it "Airport", and on and on it goes. You've got to hand it to them, Apples the master at marketing. The master of "cool".

For those of us who aren't easily influenced, and don't have to be cool, we're free to be honest about how we feel. I really like Apple products, but they don't define me, nor do I treat them like treasures. They're simply tools to do my job, or in the case of iPads, a simple source of fun & variety. Lacking a file system I don't use them as replacements for my MBA's & MBP's.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I also kept 1,2 and 3 for good better best.

The iPad 1 and 2 look fine but the 3 with the right material is much better.

What really sold me on the 3 was the LTE connectivity, makes WIFI look slow

unconaction

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Emeryville,CA
Extremely happy with the iPad 3 from 2. As another poster mentioned, I added the Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover. Screen is so much better on it. Thank you Apple.

Smithey1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
While I agree a person vision will vary some some ppl will notice more than others, but from my opinion there is no doubting the 3 is leagues above the the 2 as in screen technology can't wait to see what the future brings

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
There was enough in the new iPad to make me upgrade from the iPad 1 even without the screen
I am very happy with my iPad
And now that I have added the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard, I am even happier

I don't think I will be in the market for a smaller tablet

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Just for fun, I've kept each iPad I've bought, 1, 2, & 3. So far I've been lucky, my eyes are still 20/20. In my experience, while the retina is nice, I don't see that much difference either.

But I do understand it's human nature for a huge number of buyersish claims in order to feel good about their purchase. It's also part of the Apple culture to brag about the products.

The great advantage of retina is Apples clever naming scheme they've used. As a result they can convince people to believe their lofty claims about how "resolutionary" i

Yet this has been a long time, highly successful Apple practice. Give products cute names, hype them like crazy & people buy into it.

Why call it what it really is when you can invent a clever name. Why say wifi when you can call it "Airport", and on and on it goes. You've got to hand it to them, Apples the master at marketing. The master of "cool".

For those of us who aren't easily influenced, and don't have to be cool, we're free to be honest about how we feel. I really like Apple products, but they don't define me, nor do I treat them like treasures. They're simply tools to do my job, or in the case of iPads, a simple source of fun & variety. Lacking a file system I don't use them as replacements for my MBA's & MBP's.

I disagree. My wife bought a 2 a year or so ago. It was nice but I couldn't stand the pixelated display. It was easily the most pixelated display that we own. I said at the time if apple ever fixed the iPad display I would buy one. I bought a three a few months back and side by side the difference is very, very obvious particularly for reading text.

I really can't understand how a person could say otherwise unless they had a vision problem. Now if the person acknowledges that yea there is a big difference but the difference is not important to them sure I understand that. If a person doesn't do much reading and plays games or watches movies primarily yea that makes sense.

If it wasn't for the display I would not own an iPad.

I will say that after seeing an Mbp retina I don't think it's display is worth the money if you stay at the default resolution. So your point isn't totally lost on me. The ability to kick it up to 1600 might be worth it though.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I just sold my iPad 3 in favor of my old iPad 2 (and money). My wife still has the iPad 3 and while I do feel the retina screen is better, I switch back and forth between the two all the time and have no problems so I really don't buy this idea that "once you go retina then non-retina is like eye poison".

That said, if you're buying now then it's silly not to get the retina display because its easily worth $100 more.

Smithey1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
This is my point even at the discounted price I just don't see the point in buying a iPad 2

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I loathe people who use the "I have 20/20 vision" line.

So do I, and guess what? I can look at the iPad 2 and 3 side by side and see the difference the Retina Display makes. Yes, I will admit that it is NOT the leap that the iPhone 3GS was to the 4, but it DOES make a difference on the new iPad and it IS noticeable.

I wish people who have decided not to buy the 3 or who went for the 2 to save £100/$100 would stop making up ridiculous self righteous excuses to justify your own purchase.

Are you happy with whatever iPad you chose? Yes? Good, then go and enjoy it then and stop posting rubbish on here.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I also went from the iPad 1 to the 3. I've had 10 or so iDevices, including the 4 and 4S, and must say this iPad 3 tops them all.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I also went from the iPad 1 to the 3. I've had 10 or so iDevices, including the 4 and 4S, and must say this iPad 3 tops them all.

I bought iPad3 because of the 4G LTE, not the display. If not for 4G, I would probably get iPad2 instead.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I have to chime in. Unless you have a genuine visual handicap, the new iPad screen is outrageously more clear than the iPad 2. I'm frankly dumbfounded every time another of these "new iPad screen no difference" threads pops up. The iPad 2 screen looks extremely pixelated in comparison to the new iPad screen, particularly when viewing text. It's not even a close fight.

Seriously if you can't see the difference do one of the following:

1. Buy the iPad 2.
2. Make an appointment with an optometrist.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
I have to chime in. Unless you have a genuine visual handicap, the new iPad screen is outrageously more clear than the iPad 2. I'm frankly dumbfounded every time another of these "new iPad screen no difference" threads pops up. The iPad 2 screen looks extremely pixelated in comparison to the new iPad screen, particularly when viewing text. It's not even a close fight.

1. Buy the iPad 2.

^this

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008

1. Buy the iPad 2.

I think people here are saying that, there is a small difference, but since you physically hold iPad further away from your face than iPhone or iPod Touch. The difference is not that significant. With iPhone, the difference the display makes is immediately noticeable.

More importantly there is the iPad2, with identical specs except GPU and display, and it is $100 cheaper. Unless you need 4G LTE, the new iPad doesn't offer any significant performance increase from iPad2.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I think people here are saying that, there is a small difference, but since you physically hold iPad further away from your face than iPhone or iPod Touch. The difference is not that significant. With iPhone, the difference the display makes is immediately noticeable.

More importantly there is the iPad2, with identical specs except GPU and display, and it is $100 cheaper. Unless you need 4G LTE, the new iPad doesn't offer any significant performance increase from iPad2.

Still disagree, the difference was absolutely immediately noticeable to me the first time I looked at the new iPad in an Apple store. I also don't quite understand your point that people hold the iPad further away from their face. Sure on a phone call this is the case but in general use i hold both the iPhone and iPad in my hand at normal viewing distances.

Also your point about the $100 premium getting you 2 features is not true. The current generation iPad has a vastly improved rear camera, and 4G LTE as you mentioned. All of that is easily worth the price premium in my book.

iLLBehavior

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Truth be told I am picky when it comes to TVs.
but when it came to the iPad, the obvious weight of the 3(especially knowing I'd put at least a thin case on it) and the heat from it outweighed the pros of the retina display. I wanted to make sure I used it and I hate having a hot laptop on me while on the couch and the weight I desired was for it to be handled with ease.

I was blown away with how nice a current base model kindle is to use and handle which influenced my wants.

To each his own.

I LOVE my iPad 2 that I just got! Very happy with my decision to go with it over the three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.