Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Working 1st gen iPod with battery problems. Any help?

Hi! I fixed up a 1st gen iPod to use, and everything works fine except for the battery. I know it's not replaceable, but I've seen external batteries for other iPods, even though they have the different types of connectors. So, is there any battery that I could connect through the iPod's FireWire port to use? I'd be fine with any answer, even a confirmation that there is no such thing.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

I've never seen such a device.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:44 AM   #3
ComputersaysNo
macrumors 6502

Google gave me this (no idea if trustworthy) http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/shop...asp?recordid=1
ComputersaysNo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:52 AM   #4
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
Yeah, at this point it's probably best to replace the unit's battery. You can get new batteries on eBay or other websites, although I don't know for certain how good they are. It's also moderately easy to replace the battery yourself, or at least easier than the newer Classics.
Secondary batteries using the dock connector are pretty common, but I think it's a bit late in the cycle to get a firewire one, especially considering only the first gen iPod used a direct firewire connection.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputersaysNo View Post
Google gave me this (no idea if trustworthy) http://www.ipodbatterydepot.com/shop...asp?recordid=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgartner0622 View Post
Yeah, at this point it's probably best to replace the unit's battery. You can get new batteries on eBay or other websites, although I don't know for certain how good they are. It's also moderately easy to replace the battery yourself, or at least easier than the newer Classics.
Secondary batteries using the dock connector are pretty common, but I think it's a bit late in the cycle to get a firewire one, especially considering only the first gen iPod used a direct firewire connection.
Oh, I thought the battery was unreplaceable on the 1st-gen iPods. Thanks!

I think I might've already solved it though. Somehow, after I upgraded the hard-drive inside, the battery life suddenly jumped from 2 minutes to 4 hours .
Tumblr
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Okay, it's now not recognizing the hard-drive 1/2 of the time, so I'm now upgrading it to CF. Also, it occasionally makes a grinding sound.
Tumblr
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Yaris
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltly8 View Post
The iPod touch is a little smaller and weighs a little less than the iPhone. But the iPod touch has a battery that lasts a little longer than the one on the iPhone.

I heared that The iPod Nano comes in seven colors and its battery lasts for 24 hours of music playback.
Thanks for the relevant info.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Fralle
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris View Post
thanks for the relevant info.
Hahaha!!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
brandyboot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputersaysNo View Post
Hi! Thanks for sharing... I think this will save my ol' itouch 2... but the thing is... Im not sure if i will be able to open my touch....
brandyboot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod