Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingdummkopf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
just wondering if am being to delicate with it. i place it down carefully, i tap the screen carefully. i'm just generally careful with it.

my mother has an ipad also, and isn't as careful as me. my cousin came round yesterday and played on both ipads. on mine, she played angry birds and tapped the screen hard to fire the yellow bird. on my mothers she pressed hard that you could start to see the liquid moving of the display like when you press down on a computer monitor.

was she too rough, or am i too careful?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Sounds like she was too rough and you are too careful. If someone made my screen swirl I would take it off them and not let them use it again. However, your iPad is a tool, use it, ultimately it is disposable so there is no point in babying it too much. I put a zagg shield on mine and then forget about it.

Eahdawn

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
just wondering if am being to delicate with it. i place it down carefully, i tap the screen carefully. i'm just generally careful with it.

my mother has an ipad also, and isn't as careful as me. my cousin came round yesterday and played on both ipads. on mine, she played angry birds and tapped the screen hard to fire the yellow bird. on my mothers she pressed hard that you could start to see the liquid moving of the display like when you press down on a computer monitor.

I'd say your treating it just right! Your babying your tech that you paid a lot of money for, I do the exact same. I think your cousin was too rough with the iPad by your description, but people could argue that the iPad is built to endure that. But, why put it through that if you don't have to? :)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
It is gorilla glass so it is designed to take more abuse than standard glass. Really I don't think there is a issue with pressing to hard I haven't heard of anyone cracking or ruining their glass <insert device here> screen by pushing too hard. Its dropping it thats the biggest risk.

Apple products are built with quality materials so it is resistant to abuse more so than many other cheap, plastic devices.

Obviously if you're getting effects that are similar to what would happen if you pressed on a LCD display then she is definitely pushing too hard, I would think it'd be tiresome to press the display that hard.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You don't have to be careless when using your iPad, but use it how you want.

In most cases, the iPad will be fine. However, touching the screen hard enough to the point where it starts swirling the display is too far.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

It sounds like both iPads are an excellent case for AppleCare +. If your Mom ends up cracking the screen, you'll just pay $50 to swap it out.

Lansing

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Phoenix
The iPad is pretty sturdy, and sometimes she likes it a little rough. Sure you want to take care of it, protect it, pamper it. Sometimes though, you need to take the gloves off and get a little rough.
:D

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
witnessing my 2 year old niece have her way with her ipad1 (in apple case), dropping it, resting her body weight via her palm and cute little foot a few times a day, i'll have to say it's a remarkable piece of engineering.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I can give you 2 real world usage scenarios:

1. My parents. They are destroyers of gadgets. My mom is a total clutz. Also, she uses her iPad in the kitchen while she's baking and stuff, and does not care what ingredients are on her hands when she touches the iPad screen. I've seen her smear butter all over the screen. She cleans it off when she's done baking, but still it's pretty disgusting. My point being, my parents aren't careful at all with their iPad. They have it in a hard back case and a folio style cover that they got on ebay for about $15. The screen has some hairline scratches on it, but nothing visible under normal conditions.

2. A co-worker of mine is even less careful with his. I saw him put his lunch plate on top of it one day and ate his lunch that way. (Smart Cover was OFF when he was doing that. Made me absolutely sick to look at.) His attitude: The iPad is a utensil that I use in my day to day life. I'm not going to worry about cosmetic stuff that happens to it. His iPad is getting pretty scuffed up on the back. I haven't had an opportunity to inspect the screen. He uses no case, just a Smart Cover. The iPad gets tossed carelessly into his messenger bag every day before he goes home. His main method of cleaning off the screen is spraying it with water, wiping it down with a Kleenex, and then drying it off on his jeans. I'm sure if I looked at his screen under some really bright light, it would be pretty scratched up, but I can't confirm.

My point is, you can treat an iPad pretty rough and it will still work. BUT, that doesn't mean it won't look like crap, especially on the back. That aluminum is soft, and the screen is pretty tough, but you can get hairline scratches in the oleophobic coating that can be annoying when they catch the light in just the right way.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The iPad is pretty well built and tough, but AppleCare+ means I treat it like I would treat anything made of paper.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I'm one of these people that wants to keep everything I buy in as new looking condition as I can, even to the point of re-wrapping power cables the way they came in the box. It's not an apple thing; I was that way for years before. I pay good money for stuff; I want it to last and not look like hell. I manage the fleet of laptops for a small business I work for, and while I still have a 12+ year old Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop that's looks damned near new, I've seen company computers that we bought not 6 months ago which come back looking like they've been through a war. And don't laugh about the power cord thing. I've seen those come back with the cable damned near pulled out of the AC adapter, exposed wiring and all.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I use my iPad without much thought of babying it, although I don't treat it roughly either
Just normal use

However, I don't let just anyone handle my iPad
My device
My money
Yep, my device

If I am overly protective, it is that way

After my ex-wife wrote on the screen of my original 17" iMac with a ball point pen, I am a little freaked out when people get too close to my devices :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I once had the misfortune of helping out a new CIO who was trying to demo his organization's new mobile app. Had a shiny new, just-out-of-the-box-that-morning iPad 2 mirroring video to an equally-new Apple TV connected to a large projection display, Steve-Jobs-style, so he could walk around with it and tap away, showing his group's "innovation."

Yeah, he was one of those kinds of guys.

Well, as that kinda C-anything-O type tends to do, he got a little cocky in his demo and started waving it around while he was on stage. And proving just how much he knew about iPads, he grasped it by the smart cover as he was waving his hands around gesturing, totally unaware that this thing was held on by magnets and not permanent hinges.

Well yeah... next thing I know, this iPad flings away from the smart cover, smacks the side of a table against its glass screen and bounces around a couple times before landing face down on the floor. I actually screamed a little.

He and I jumped over to it and stood over it nervously and awkwardly, kinda like what you would do if you saw someone get run over by a car and you didn't know what you should do next. Finally, I get the nerve to pick it up and turn it over.

It was still intact, no cracks or anything, just a couple of teeny dents in the aluminum along the edge. And after everyone caught a breath, the demo continued. Without the smart cover.

I'd never recommend doing anything like that, but, I was a little more impressed with iPad durability after that.

kingdummkopf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
i just looked into applecare+, but you can't get it in the uk, apparently.

so, the way my cousin treated my ipad, with the 'hard tapping', is okay, but her swirling the screen on my mother's ipad is a no-no?

they screens are both fine on each of them, but tapping hard is okay, swirling isn't?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Pushing into the screen to the point where there is swirling is not okay.

Hard tapping isn't really a good idea, but as long as the screen doesn't crack or those swirls don't appear, there should be no lasting damage.

Your cousin will want to ease up a little, but if your mother has had no problems with her iPad, then she's fine.

kingdummkopf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
yeah, i don't think i'll allow her to use my ipad again, ha. i mean she's didn't tap it like she was hitting it, but as she was playing the game, and partly because she couldn't do it, she started tapping harder. then again i don't know if my interpretation of 'tapping hard' is different to other people's.

yeah, no swirls appeared on mine, that was only my mothers. she applied a lot of pressure for that to happen.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
The iPad's glass is very flexible, so taps can be hard (although not hard enough to push on the LCD display). I've also noticed that the metal does not scratch easily, but can easily get little dents around the edges

TurnTronics

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
It sounds like your cousin was a little rough on your iPad. If you see the screen start to distort, you are pressing too hard.

As for how you handle your iPad, my rule of thumb is you can never be too careful. If you are planning on upgrading to the next iPad, the better shape it is in, the more you can get for it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It sounds like your cousin was a little rough on your iPad. If you see the screen start to distort, you are pressing too hard.

As for how you handle your iPad, my rule of thumb is you can never be too careful. If you are planning on upgrading to the next iPad, the better shape it is in, the more you can get for it.

^This. Apple products have tremendous resale value. While I get made fun of a lot by friends and co workers for using cases and screen protectors, I'm the one who gets to resell his iPhones and iPads and only pay a minimum for the new models. I am pretty particular too, don't get me wrong, but it's mostly about resale for me.

kingdummkopf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
The iPad's glass is very flexible, so taps can be hard (although not hard enough to push on the LCD display). I've also noticed that the metal does not scratch easily, but can easily get little dents around the edges

oh, i didn't realise it's flexible. that makes me a bit more relaxed, cuz even my tapping can occasionally be 'harder', when playing a game. i've never made the screen swirl on mine, and my cousin didn't do that to mine. it was on my mothers, but she wasn't bothered because it works.

yeah, that's another reason why i want to keep it in perfect condition. i've had it for about three weeks and it hasn't left the house yet - even though i bought it for portability - because i didn't have a case. just ordered one now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.