Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Djlild7hina
macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to use iVI now but wish it worked with stylized subs. Only thing I can think of that works with that is handbrake but requires it to be burned in
Silver iPhone 5S 64GB
Djlild7hina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:48 AM   #27
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Must not be married!
Wrong direction. Married too long. Why would what I do affect her?

Besides, she's got an iPad.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 AM   #28
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Wrong direction. Married too long. Why would what I do affect her?

Besides, she's got an iPad.
My wife just got an iPad, so I know exactly what your saying!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #29
jayfehr
macrumors member

Here is a command line option that will go through a directory and convert all the mkv's to mp4's with no quality loss and only takes a couple minutes per file. There is a bit of setup to get it to go, but that is a one time thing:

1: install Xcode: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12

2: install the CLI tools in Xcode: Launch Xcode -> Preferences -> Downloads

3: Install Quartz: (Only required on Mountain Lion I believe, but do it anyway): http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

4: Install Homebrew: http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
4a: Update Homebrew, open terminal and type the following command (you will need to enter your password)

Code:
sudo brew update
5. Install ffmpeg (this is what we were aiming for the entire time)
Code:
sudo brew install ffmpeg

All the above are only required once. What we've done here is setup a repository that will allow you to install pretty much any open source software, then installed the ffmpeg command that is going to do all our magic.

Now just run this command (remember to change the directory name to the one that has your mkv's in it)

Code:
for f in <DIRECTORY>/*.mkv; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -vcodec copy "${f%.mkv}.mp4"; done
you will have to run that in each directory with video files, it doesn't go through sub-directorys. However it will convert all your files with no loss of quality. A little work, but still easier than going file by file with some of the other methods
jayfehr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:02 PM   #30
Baytriple
macrumors regular

It's easy.

Use the app called Adapter. It's free.
Baytriple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:00 PM   #31
koban4max
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by javilionaire View Post
Ah ok, I'm converting this to MP4 so that I can burn it to a DVD using Toast, which will create a HD-DVD. It'll be played on a 50" Television so I need to retain the quality!
handbrake works well. Even a little kid can do it in less than 30 seconds. I mean that literally. Not to insult or anything. It's just that easy.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:08 PM   #32
Wombert
macrumors regular

https://gist.github.com/641476 (needs xcode command line tools and homebrew installed as well as the utilities, via brew, that are listed in the source)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:22 PM   #33
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

+1 for handbrake.

It's a conversion as opposed to trans-coding, but the quality loss is negligible. Besides, the only time i don't view my mkv file is when I'm going to be watching on the go, using my iPad, so the quality issue isn't a big deal to me. Given your troubles with the trans-coding process, I highly suggest it.

Open Handbrake -> Select mkv file as source -> Select preset -> Mash the go button -> beer/coffee/snack while you wait. So easy a caveman can do it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:18 PM   #34
jdiamond
macrumors regular

Guys, any thoughts about DVD movies?

I have mainly DVD movies (only a few Blu-Ray) but like to preserve the quality. Do you know if there's any way the format used inside a standard VIDEO_TS directory can be used directly by an m4v file? Or must you always do a video conversion? (I realize the container file must be changed...)

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by jdiamond; Jul 31, 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
jdiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:38 PM   #35
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiamond View Post
I have mainly DVD movies (only a few Blu-Ray) but like to preserve the quality. Do you know if there's any way the format used inside a standard VIDEO_TS directory can be used directly by an m4v file? Or must you always do a video conversion? (I realize the container file must be changed...)

Thanks for the advice.
I have to assume that since you are wanting to end up with and m4v container, you are wanting to play the files on an aTV. DVD's are mpeg2. mpeg 2 will not play on an aTV, so you have to convert then to h.264.

So I guess the answer to your question is...no.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:01 PM   #36
ClemsonDV
macrumors member

I have TONS of MKV files and not a lot of time to go through each one and add and then change metadata. Is there something that I can set and drop a folder or folders in and let it go?
ClemsonDV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:12 PM   #37
LucidX
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoes2 View Post
All of this implies that you should try "passthrough" first. If that doesn't work, try something else.

Agreed. In my advice the codec was the constant. For a given file, if the codec works for one's devices than pass through is the one to go for if at all possible. The biggest downside is the lack of batch processing via qt7 pro.
LucidX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 01:25 PM   #38
nuzzy
macrumors newbie

I believe an app called 'mkvtoolnix' will work also
nuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:05 AM   #39
Nutdotnet
macrumors member

Handbrake is great, MP4Tools works great when it's not crashing, but for me, iFlicks is the best. Not only does it convert, but it also does a great job with metadata.
Nutdotnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #40
mikepro
macrumors 6502

Just buy the program Identify on the Mac App store. $20, but worth it for ease of use, conversion, and metadata download.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:44 AM   #41
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepro View Post
Just buy the program Identify on the Mac App store. $20, but worth it for ease of use, conversion, and metadata download.
Are you referring to using it for it's video passthrough capability or for it's ability to totally process a video AND metadata using a queue? Seems to be multiple questions going on in this thread and not sure what this "answer" is directed toward.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:18 PM   #42
RolledUp20s
macrumors regular

hold your horses...

have you got mountain lion? ...you have an apple TV. airplay from your mac using VLC to play the MKV.
Now..before you say ''i haven't got a mac''....you need a mac

...or, as i'm trying now out of curiosity- try Vuze. you drag MKV etc in the conversion programme built in, it ask...what playback device? click Apple TV 3 ..and it begins. not sure how long or what the quality is like yet...will soon see.

Last edited by RolledUp20s; Aug 2, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
RolledUp20s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 06:14 PM   #43
Panini
Banned

Just curious; what is mkv even used for? I have yet to see it anywhere.

Is it a special codec used by some special high end cameras or something?
Panini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:24 PM   #44
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panini View Post
Just curious; what is mkv even used for? I have yet to see it anywhere.

Is it a special codec used by some special high end cameras or something?
MKV is a container that carries a video & audio file. mp4 is another type of container. MKV's became popular when people started streaming video on the home networks. A lot of video's downloaded as torrents are in the mkv format. The advantage of the container is that it is very flexible in what it can contain, say vs the mp4.

If you really care: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:22 PM   #45
mikepro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Are you referring to using it for it's video passthrough capability or for it's ability to totally process a video AND metadata using a queue? Seems to be multiple questions going on in this thread and not sure what this "answer" is directed toward.
Well, pretty much for all that. I mainly use it to produce "itunes compatible" files, which are great for use on ATV2, ipad, etc. If an mkv has video already encoded in h.264, it sill simply remux the audio and put the tracks in the correct order for easy playback on iDevices. It also automatically gets the metadata, and then appends (actually maybe prepends) it into the file in the right way so that it all shows up in iTunes and on iDevices. If the video is not in h.264, it will re-encode it as necessary. Finally, it's great for building up a queue, you can just drop a bunch of files into it and let it work.

Had problems using Subler and MetaX for all this. Sure, it costs $20, but it works great, saves me tons of time, and has none of the annoying issues I had with other problems. In true Mac fashion, It Just Works.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:59 PM   #46
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepro View Post
Well, pretty much for all that. I mainly use it to produce "itunes compatible" files, which are great for use on ATV2, ipad, etc. If an mkv has video already encoded in h.264, it sill simply remux the audio and put the tracks in the correct order for easy playback on iDevices. It also automatically gets the metadata, and then appends (actually maybe prepends) it into the file in the right way so that it all shows up in iTunes and on iDevices. If the video is not in h.264, it will re-encode it as necessary. Finally, it's great for building up a queue, you can just drop a bunch of files into it and let it work.

Had problems using Subler and MetaX for all this. Sure, it costs $20, but it works great, saves me tons of time, and has none of the annoying issues I had with other problems. In true Mac fashion, It Just Works.
I just use Handbrake (free) and Subler (free). Just use Subler for the metadata as I like the ability to add/delete fields to maximize the movie info in the aTV window.

Can you explain to me how, with just a remux to the mp4 container, you get subtitles to work, e.g. "soft" and/or forced subs?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 02:38 PM   #47
mikepro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I just use Handbrake (free) and Subler (free). Just use Subler for the metadata as I like the ability to add/delete fields to maximize the movie info in the aTV window.

Can you explain to me how, with just a remux to the mp4 container, you get subtitles to work, e.g. "soft" and/or forced subs?

Thanks.
LOL, I've been saying iDentify is the App, but I'm actually referring to iFlicks! Oops. Used to use iDentify when Subler failed, but now I strictly use iFlicks.

iFlicks supports external srt subtitle files. Honestly, I don't really use subtitles much, so I can't speak to it. But, check out their website and search the support forum, maybe you can find what you are looking for.

I know there are free alternatives, and there is often an aversion to paying for software, but iFlicks has been $20 well spent for me, as it is one stop meta data and conversion utility for me.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 04:35 PM   #48
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

MKV to MP4 without re-encoding is no longer hard as it was when I first started to look into it if you look into my post history. My choice for that is iFlicks and it's brilliant.

But going from MKV is going to be a compromise either way. Pass through is fast but many times introduces problems with resuming, fast forwarding and even streaming. Conversion is slow, especially with 1080P on a slower machine and a negligible quality loss.

My take is, if you have tons of MKVs you want in MP4 and you can live with minor hiccups, go with iFlicks. I've chosen this route.

If you want the best performance and compatibility from your MP4 and don't mind long conversion times, go with Handbrake. I honestly can't tell a difference in quality from the MKV on my 32" FullHD TV.
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 07:39 AM   #49
mil098
macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've read this thread and I am very interested.
MacinJosh, do you mind telling me what settings you use for handbrake? (or anyone else for that matter)

Cheers
Anthony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
MKV to MP4 without re-encoding is no longer hard as it was when I first started to look into it if you look into my post history. My choice for that is iFlicks and it's brilliant.

But going from MKV is going to be a compromise either way. Pass through is fast but many times introduces problems with resuming, fast forwarding and even streaming. Conversion is slow, especially with 1080P on a slower machine and a negligible quality loss.

My take is, if you have tons of MKVs you want in MP4 and you can live with minor hiccups, go with iFlicks. I've chosen this route.

If you want the best performance and compatibility from your MP4 and don't mind long conversion times, go with Handbrake. I honestly can't tell a difference in quality from the MKV on my 32" FullHD TV.
mil098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 08:10 AM   #50
mike457
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil098 View Post
Hello all,

I've read this thread and I am very interested.
MacinJosh, do you mind telling me what settings you use for handbrake? (or anyone else for that matter)

Cheers
Anthony.
The easy route with Handbrake is to use the presets. It has presets for all versions of the ATV, for iPads, for iPods, iPhones, and for Android devices. Some people tweak these to improve them further, but I'm not really convinced they can actually see the difference.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater