Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 4, 2012, 08:26 AM   #51
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post
The easy route with Handbrake is to use the presets. It has presets for all versions of the ATV, for iPads, for iPods, iPhones, and for Android devices. Some people tweak these to improve them further, but I'm not really convinced they can actually see the difference.
Same here.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 03:24 PM   #52
mil098
macrumors newbie

ok, well I'm not using an ATV, I actually have a PC hooked up to the TV.

I do know that MP4 files are smaller than the MKV file, so should I be using the normal preset or the high profile preset?
mil098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:10 PM   #53
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil098 View Post
ok, well I'm not using an ATV, I actually have a PC hooked up to the TV.

I do know that MP4 files are smaller than the MKV file, so should I be using the normal preset or the high profile preset?
Best quality, smallest file size, longest encode time+aTV3 preset
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #54
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

MKV2M4V on the AppStore. Super Easy.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 01:45 AM   #55
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil098 View Post
Hello all,

I've read this thread and I am very interested.
MacinJosh, do you mind telling me what settings you use for handbrake? (or anyone else for that matter)

Cheers
Anthony.
As Mike already said, presets are the way to go.
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:50 PM   #56
jdiamond
macrumors regular

Just to clarify - VIDEO_TS files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
I have to assume that since you are wanting to end up with and m4v container, you are wanting to play the files on an aTV. DVD's are mpeg2. mpeg 2 will not play on an aTV, so you have to convert then to h.264.

So I guess the answer to your question is...no.
In my case I am find playing them on a computer monitor or iPad. What I was specifically asking was whether or not the mpeg2 codec can be used directly inside of these common container formats, so that you can play them on a computer without losing the quality & compression of the original DVD that occurs during a re-encoding... I was hoping for an iOS compatible format like m4a or something similar...

Thanks for any thoughts,
- Jeff
jdiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:54 PM   #57
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiamond View Post
In my case I am find playing them on a computer monitor or iPad. What I was specifically asking was whether or not the mpeg2 codec can be used directly inside of these common container formats, so that you can play them on a computer without losing the quality & compression of the original DVD that occurs during a re-encoding... I was hoping for an iOS compatible format like m4a or something similar...

Thanks for any thoughts,
- Jeff
Nope, as .mp4 is made for the MPEG-4 codec. And using HandBrake and one of its presets for proper transcoding a video DVD title to an .mp4 file does not really induce visible quality loss, unless you changed a setting for the worse. Also know, that MPEG-4 is a much more advanced codec than MPEG-2, thus the smaller file size while retaining image quality, and MPEG-2 is quite lossy to begin with (1 MB/s data rate, that is almost a quarter of DV encoded video).
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:04 PM   #58
mic j
macrumors 68000

From Yoda

Losslessness is a figment of your imagination. Everything is lossy.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:05 PM   #59
mpossjr
macrumors member

Lightbulb Simple Solution

Here is a simple solution...
Forget about DVDs. Its just a matter of time before they are obsolete anyway.
Spend $99 on an Apple TV 3. Download Handbrake for $free.
Problem solved.
You're welcome!
mpossjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:44 AM   #60
littlepooch21
macrumors member

besides handbrake, is there a simple solution for window's users? i like handbrake but it takes a long time to convert.
littlepooch21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:29 AM   #61
mpossjr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
besides handbrake, is there a simple solution for window's users? i like handbrake but it takes a long time to convert.
DVDFab woks "OK" but Handbrake is overall the best. I haave tested out a lot of choices recently.
mpossjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:11 PM   #62
Carlanga
macrumors 601

you can just buy the content on hard media and then make your own MP4, saves time and is legal to own.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:21 AM   #63
bushido
macrumors 601

it takes 5 minutes to muxe a 12 GB dual audio HD movie with my 4 year old mbp. not hard at all thx to iFlicks
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:35 AM   #64
blaizefm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymodem View Post
+1 for iFlicks. I use it all the time to remux mkv to m4v for iTunes. Just drop it on the window, make sure it gets the right metadata, select iTunes compatible, and away it goes.

Edit: Should have read the whole thing.
I love iFlicks. However I've noticed recently that it has stopped muxing the videos (MKV Tv shows primarily) and is encoding instead. I have installed Mountain Lion recently and this may have driven the change...
blaizefm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:28 PM   #65
andymodem
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaizefm View Post
I love iFlicks. However I've noticed recently that it has stopped muxing the videos (MKV Tv shows primarily) and is encoding instead. I have installed Mountain Lion recently and this may have driven the change...
Strange, mine is still muxing everything just fine on Mountain Lion.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:51 PM   #66
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

i have smart converter fom the app store converts a mkv to mp4 in about 20 seconds i dont see a loss in quality
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:04 PM   #67
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
DVD Catalyst

http://www.tools4movies.com

Fast, quick, easy and great support from the developer. I use it on my Mac via Parallels.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:11 AM   #68
derondantzler
macrumors newbie

While my system is somewhat complicated, here goes:

1. CouchPotato, SickBeard to download NZB files and send to...
2. SABnzbd to download the videos
3. Python post-processing scripts for SABnzbd to convert the videos from MKV to M4V (IE: demux > convert audio > remix)
4. Folder actions to watch for converted movies, trigger python script that uses iTunes store API to tag videos with data and add them to iTunes library.

What I do now:

1. Add a show I like in SickBeard or a movie to watch in CouchPotato
2. Sit on my sofa and cut on my TV. Peruse the new content that shows up in my library since everything is automated.

This is all much better than the garbage I was doing before (searching for crap to download > handbrake for hours > tagging with subler > adding to iTunes)
derondantzler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:25 AM   #69
derondantzler
macrumors newbie

Quote:
A combination of the following command-line tools:

MKVExtract (MKVToolnix)
MediaInfo
FFmpeg
Normalize
qaac
MP4box

Make a script. Works every time, fast, costs nothing, and can be set to monitor a folder for new MKV files or added as a post-processing script to your download application to automate your routine.
derondantzler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 04:31 PM   #70
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaizefm View Post
Where are you? Prolly the DVB broadcast itself has been changed from, say, 720p60 to, say, 1080i60. Or from H.264 to MPEG-2. Both interlaced and MPEG-2 video must be transcoded for ATV playback.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:06 AM   #71
blaizefm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Where are you? Prolly the DVB broadcast itself has been changed from, say, 720p60 to, say, 1080i60. Or from H.264 to MPEG-2. Both interlaced and MPEG-2 video must be transcoded for ATV playback.
It appears I've been at fault all the time. Choosing the iTunes compatible setting in iFlicks allows muxing of my H.264 TV shows. I had switched to another setting at some point and not noticed.
blaizefm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:32 AM   #72
emptysoul
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by derondantzler View Post
A combination of the following command-line tools:

MKVExtract (MKVToolnix)
MediaInfo
FFmpeg
Normalize
qaac
MP4box

Make a script. Works every time, fast, costs nothing, and can be set to monitor a folder for new MKV files or added as a post-processing script to your download application to automate your routine.
Can you show us the script you are using? Just saying "make a script" doesn't really help the less technically minded

I've only have my AppleTV for a few days (moving from XBMC) and still trying to perfect my workflow. I think I have the batch encoding of all MKV files in a folder to MP4 (ableit losing 5.1 sound) sorted but everything else seems to be so much more time consuming.

I almost envy Mac users as there are so many more easily used tools for them to use for managing Apple TV content.
emptysoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:38 PM   #73
xti
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptysoul View Post
Can you show us the script you are using? Just saying "make a script" doesn't really help the less technically minded

I've only have my AppleTV for a few days (moving from XBMC) and still trying to perfect my workflow. I think I have the batch encoding of all MKV files in a folder to MP4 (ableit losing 5.1 sound) sorted but everything else seems to be so much more time consuming.

I almost envy Mac users as there are so many more easily used tools for them to use for managing Apple TV content.
I would look at getting a Roku and use the free Plex channel. Plays any .mkv file easily with no conversion necessary. (it does require Plex server running on your PC). Keep the AppleTV for iTunes or viewing free YouTube movie channels like Crackle. Stopped using XBMC when I sold my 1st gen ATV and started using Plex. With an inexpensive Roku streamer, no more time consuming pain in the file conversions necessary.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:28 AM   #74
Onky
macrumors newbie

Quote:

3. Python post-processing scripts for SABnzbd to convert the videos from MKV to M4V (IE: demux > convert audio > remix)
4. Folder actions to watch for converted movies, trigger python script that uses iTunes store API to tag videos with data and add them to iTunes library.

What I do now:

2. Sit on my sofa and cut on my TV. Peruse the new content that shows up in my library since everything is automated.

This is all much better than the garbage I was doing before (searching for crap to download > handbrake for hours > tagging with subler > adding to iTunes)
Hi derondantzler,

The setup you have running is exactly the one I'm looking for. I'm looking for a script that runs a remux program after downloading it with sabnzbd. Then I need sickbeard to put it in folders with tags.

Can you please tell me how you automated this?!

Thanks!!
Onky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:39 AM   #75
er1cw
macrumors newbie

Quote:

What I do now:

Can you please share how you do this?? Been looking for this for ages.
er1cw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater