Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I purchased a iBook from CompUsa and am returning it to get a powerbook, because its too slow. It was only $200 thanks Student Union and Printer Deal. So, easy desicion.

The only thing is I have to return my iBook before my Powerbook arrives due to time ocnstraints on their return policy. I haven't done much with it. A couple documents, web viewing, but I did to alot of photo organizing, cataloguing and editing. I made my iPhoto library perfect after about 20 hours of work.(It really takes that long when you don't know what you're doing an dyou have 3,000 photos at 7MP.) So, I don't care aout transferring any system preferces or documents, I just want my iPhot library to stay intact upon transfer to my Powerbook. However, I don't have another Mac, so I am worried if I just transfer the whole picturs folder onto a networked Dell, it will lose stuff like comments, keywords, and overall organization. So, can someone help me either catalog the library or find a way so that I can keep iit intact for next week when my Powerbook arrives.

Thanks in advance. I know I have been a hassle, but the great community behind Macs is one of hte reasons I'm keeping my Apple.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Well you didn't say if you have a friend/family with a Mac and I'm guessing you don't so do you have an external drive, dvd burner, someone that has a large HDD to copy to? How about getting a few .mac accounts setup and backup the iPhoto that way or through a gmail account? thats about all I could come up with :cool:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
What you should do is hook your Mac up to the Dell, either via network* or using the iBook in FireWire target mode** , and just drag the whole iPhoto Library folder (inside your Pictures folder) over to a "safe" location and then reverse the process when you get your PowerBook.

Apple suggest just dragging and dropping in iPhoto: How to move the iPhoto Library Folder to a new location

* PC <-> Mac networking

** In target mode you need a small program that lets your PC read Mac formatted disk, too lazy to search for that now, might be mentioned in the networking-thread.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Are you sure that will work? I don't want it to bomb on me.

I have a portable harddrive. 160 GB. I don't have a DVD burner, and I am not spending money on a .Mac account for one little thing.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Chef Medeski said:

I have a portable harddrive. 160 GB. I don't have a DVD burner, and I am not spending money on a .Mac account for one little thing.

Your portable hard drive should be sufficient and safe for backing up your iPhoto file. Is it firewire? I have a OWC FireWire Mercury Elite hooked up to my G4 PM. If so it will be very easy to transfer to your new PowerBook. The easiest is to save the Home folder, then it will include your iPhoto, iTunes, Preferences, & Documents.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If you have an external hard drive, then there's no problems whatsoever... :) Just follow the steps in the Apple support article I mentioned above, and reverse when you get the PowerBook. As long as you take the whole iPhoto Library folder all your albums should survive just fine.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Chef Medeski

No I didn't mean spend money on the .Mac just get the 60 day trial thats all but since you have a 160 ext. HDD just drag and drop like the others have said ;) I admire the time you put into your photos and good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.