Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So, for one of my next upgrades, after having done the AirPort Extreme install (and because my hard drives are brand new, so no point in SSDs just yet), I want to see if I can get Bluetooth working so I can pair it with my Mighty Mouse that's just sitting here and a new keyboard to replace my aging and discoloring white one.

But I want some opinions/suggestions... Apple says in the documentation that if you didn't get the module installed, then to go the USB route (and I see a lot of people asking about them all the time). But then there are the actual modules that are floating around to install.

Which option would be better? Considering that the keyboard and mouse would be not even an inch apart from the tower and that if I would go the USB route, that it'd have to be in the back since I use the front port.

Thanks.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
if you want the easy way go the usb route (which is what I would do) and if you want the purist way go with the internal module.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Following up on 666sheep's excellent source, my G5's antenna isn't the standard one. I got a cheap wire that has the snap on the end to connect it to the Bluetooth board. I then put the wire up into the cover for the optical drive. There's a groove along the inside part of the cover that goes up and down as the tray ejects. To see it, you have to remove the optical drive. I put the in this groove and used a few dots of hot glue to secure it. It works pretty well, cheap, and less likely to break off then the Apple antenna.

And if you are using a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard having the Apple OEM Bluetooth might help. Most USB Bluetooth dongles can't wake a sleeping Mac from sleep or be used for startup keyboard commands.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I wanted to add in response to Intell's comment on dongles no waking from sleep etc. The one I link to in combination with the 2nd gen aluminum BT Apple KB works fine for waking from sleep for me. I always run 24/7 normally but on hotter days in the summer I put it to sleep at night.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
So... Wait... I have a MacBook Pro Late 2006. You're telling me that I can pretty much pull that out of the machine and hook it up to the G5?

The post that link points to says "Mac Pro" not MacBook Pro. The Intel powered tower that looks just like the G5.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I just got a new USB dongle for my G5 which is smaller than the one I've been using but I couldn't get it working :(

I've been using an older one for a while but wanted something smaller I can plug into the KB and it be hidden out of the way. So I got this one on eBay...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300755065248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Specs
Bluetooth specification V 2.0 & V 1.2 Compliant.
I/O Interface : USB compliance.
Supporting profiles : networking, Dial-up, Fax, LAN access , and Headset.
Operation system : XP, VISTA,Win7. Mac OS X 10.5 , 10.6 , 10. 7
Receiving / Sending rang : 0-100m (reality 10 - 20 m in open space. The maximum operating range depends on the environment factors.)
Data rate : up tp 3Mbps.
Input Power: DC 5V (USB Power).

As far as I can tell it should work but plugged in Leopard didn't see it, I left it in a few minutes and nothing, worse than that the first time I tried it I lost KB control and the USB mouse I'd plugged in. Had to do a hard shutdown/restart. Put in the old USB dongle and all is working again. I don't know if it's a bad one or just not compatible.

I'm running 10.5.8 and using a Class1/Class2 USB BlueTooth dongle right now, there is nothing at all written on the new one.

Sorry to hijack this thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.