Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emt377

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
So I finally submitted and bowed down before Lord Bill and set up Bootcamp - to play a few games (SWTOR and Crysis 2 in particular). Despite endless silly problems (like the installer dying with 'error 0x80300024' because it gets confused about which drive it's supposed to install on etc - gotta pull all non-install drives during install) I remember from past struggles with Billware, and hours of installing updates (and actually having to be present to push the 'restart' button every once in a while) I got it all up and working. Except it turned out the three 'experts' who suggested I get Home Premium over Pro because the latter has nothing I care about (just an XP sandbox) neglected to point out that the 'cheap' $150 version of GameOS will only use one CPU. I can pony up another $90 to actually run code on the second. Should I? It's a 2008 2.8 octo with a 5870 1GB sanctified by Apple.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So I finally submitted and bowed down before Lord Bill and set up Bootcamp - to play a few games (SWTOR and Crysis 2 in particular). Despite endless silly problems (like the installer dying with 'error 0x80300024' because it gets confused about which drive it's supposed to install on etc - gotta pull all non-install drives during install) I remember from past struggles with Billware, and hours of installing updates (and actually having to be present to push the 'restart' button every once in a while) I got it all up and working. Except it turned out the three 'experts' who suggested I get Home Premium over Pro because the latter has nothing I care about (just an XP sandbox) neglected to point out that the 'cheap' $150 version of GameOS will only use one CPU. I can pony up another $90 to actually run code on the second. Should I? It's a 2008 2.8 octo with a 5870 1GB sanctified by Apple.

Oh GOD... NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER buy a 'Home' version of ANY operating system. Just don't do it...

BUT, I've got a 4,1 and run Fusion with Win7 and it runs perfect... No issues. I don't game, but Fusion can (AFAIK) use more than one core at a time.

With the number of problems I've NOT had with Win7 on Fusion, I can't recommend it more highly. It's run everything I've needed to run on it (except Netware 4)... I was bummed that VMWare went with a 'pro' and a 'standard' version with their latest incarnation, but I guess it make$ $en$e for them...

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I have a Mac Pro 08 with Home Premium so it only uses 4 cores. I have a PC 5870 2GB. I can play crysis 2 well on very high, it chugs a bit on ultra but I am not sure if that's the GPU or CPU.

Far Cry 3 I can run completely maxed out, SCII runs well in ultra too unless theres lots happening. Skyrim runs great but it makes my 5870 very hot.

08s are old and will probably suffer from single threaded performance in the latest games though. I don't know very many games that use 8 cores, the latest battlefield maybe?

So I say save your money. Personally, I have never had any issues with Windows 7 on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.