Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buddgeez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
I was at a conference today and was surprised at the amount of people with a 3GS. I know everyone doesn't have money to upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out, but if you could've seen how many people had a 3GS you would've been shocked as well. So who has a 3GS?

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
I was at a conference today and was surprised at the amount of people with a 3GS. I know everyone doesn't have money to upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out, but if you could've seen how many people had a 3GS you would've been shocked as well. So who has a 3GS?

I'm still using a 3G!

Also I'm surprised they updated 3GS with iOS 6. iPhone 3G died after iOS 4.2 :(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Of course people "still have" 3GS's - Apple's still selling em :)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
My sister still uses her 3GS as her daily driver, and I have my old 3GS sitting around as a backup phone (still functional). As long as it's still supported, people will continue using it.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

I live in the Uk and don't really see many of the 3gs around.
The youngsters want the newest and mostly have the 4 or 4s, but i can't tell which one there holding :roll eyes:

We have a well known high street retail outlet in the Uk who deal in phones , games/consoles and dvd's etc who have a decent amount of 3gs for sale. To be honest tho the difference in price between a second hand 3gs and 4 is not vast so is a non brainer !

Apple's idevices tend to hold their prices so well !

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
My son has my old 3GS and except for battery life, it's doing ok. Of course he doesn't use it for much...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple builds excellent high quality products. Not everyone is obsessed with the latest. If your phone or computer is doing what you bought it to do, then there's nothing wrong with continuing to enjoy it.

Having to have the latest is a choice, not a must. Why so many people fail to realize this smacks of simple peer pressure. If you buy the latest because it's truly what you want, that's one thing.

But those who do it to be seen with the latest model are never going to be happy. They'll always be relying on their iToyz for their ego gratification.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Proud user of 3GS, running iOS 5...
I did not like 4 and 4S which I think were poor upgrades, time to get a new one by end of this year!

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Yep, me. I've had it for a year and a half now and still very satisfied with the thing. Don't give a crap about keeping up with the Joneses anyhow. I might even keep it for another year if the iphone 5 is (too) ridiculously priced.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Heck, my dad just GOT a 3GS last week.

It's first iPhone. He mostly needs texts, e-mails, maps, and a phone. He will occasionally use Safari.

And remember, the 3GS is basically free with a new AT&T account.

Easy choice for him. I couldn't think of any reason for him to pay more for a 4 or 4S either.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree with the posters saying not everyone needs or even cares about the latest and greatest. Not everyone are tech nerds like a lot of us.

My father still uses a flip phone. He was baffled to find out my 4S's battery doesn't last all day. But if I used my iPhone just as a phone it would probably last 3 days between charges.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I agree with the posters saying not everyone needs or even cares about the latest and greatest. Not everyone are tech nerds like a lot of us.

My father still uses a flip phone. He was baffled to find out my 4S's battery doesn't last all day. But if I used my iPhone just as a phone it would probably last 3 days between charges.
Yeah, most people are like "you have to plug it in every night?!".

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
my 32GB 3GS is still working, can go two days without a charge and has been contract free since May. Just waiting till the new iPhone to upgrade.

I do have a 4S on Verizon and I'm waiting till the cancellation fee goes down so I can drop Verizon and just stay with AT&T.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Just gave my 3GS to a family member yesterday since their blackberry broke. Still trying to decide if I should pay Out of warranty costs to get it repaired, or to buy a new iPhone on contract. The person doesn't really care about what phone they have so that's why it's a hard choice.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I'm still using my 3GS. I love it. I've had it for over two years now, thinking of upgrading to "the New iPhone" this fall.

To me, the 3GS was a real treat. I'd been using flip phones forever, then got this Samsung Blackjack smartphone thing. As much as I've been giddy and 'loved' some of my past tech, I HATED that thing. I had a 1st gen iPod Touch that I used to death (literally, broke the screen). So, getting my 3GS killed both them birds . . .

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

Anyone still using the term "rockin'" to mean "using"? Hopefully not!;)

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
I had a 3Gs up until 2 weeks ago when I got a free galaxy nexus from Google IO. I had the 3Gs since its release date 3 years ago, and it was still kicking. The plastic was starting to crack and it was starting to run slow so I decided to use this android phone until the iPhone 5 releases.

web500sjc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
im switched down to 3gs to use until the next iPhone comes out-them I'm going to take a look and decide wether to jump ship or upgrade

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
sstill have my 3GS as a backup world phone when I go traveling. Also use it has my HTPC with stream to me, slacker, pandora, and crunchy roll connected via airplay.

ipoddude56

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I really liked my 3GS, the only reason I purchased an iPhone 4 was for the front facing camera for FaceTime. Will probably stick with this for a few more iPhone versions. Although must admit I’m getting tempted by the new Samsungs having seen a friend’s Galaxy S3.

I have always brought the phones up front (eBay) so do not get the upgrade option; this is probably the case with a lot of people who are still using the 3GS and prefer not to get tied into a lengthy contract.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Mine's now over three years old... gets used a lot every day, gets charged every night. The battery still lasts pretty much as long as when it was new.

The only thing that annoys me is the lagginess... iOS5 definitely taxes it.

Waiting for the iPhone 5...

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
People still use the 3Gs? LOL That's so 2009!
I sold mine when they released the iphone 4.:cool:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.