Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Definitelymaybe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
I recently bought the new Macbook Pro Retina and am quite surprised with the scroll lag on some websites. I have heard people say that Mountain Lion addresses the issue. So can anyone running Mountain Lion on their Macbook Pro Retina confirm no lag while scrolling down through comments on the following page? (IGN's comments section on their articles seem to give me the worst kind of lag, scroll lag on other websites doesn't really bother me though):

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/21/x-men-first-class-2-will-be-extraordinarily-ambitious

jasonx2

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
The United Kingdom
I have the exact problem as you do too. Even when scrolling facebook or any

other websites than contain many photos or text will create serious scroll lag

and i don't know whether it is the caused by the sensitivness of the touchpad or

it is the hardware problem。

axlvtt

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
I think it's been confirmed that ML does alleviate some of the lag, but it isn't going to be buttery smooth with the rMBP because of hardware limitations.

Definitelymaybe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Yes, there is lag on facebook, but its so much worse on the website i mentioned that i wonder if mountain lion would be able to address it. If someone running mountain lion could confirm lag, i will return my macbook retina.

Definitelymaybe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
And i can live with minor scroll lag btw... Its just that on IGN comments for example, its embarrassingly laggy.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I think it's been confirmed that ML does alleviate some of the lag, but it isn't going to be buttery smooth with the rMBP because of hardware limitations.

Its not a hardware limitation at all. Its down to the software, in this case, the browser.

Various people have posted the reason on here already in other similar threads. Its apparently down to current browsers only utilising one CPU core.
Other people have also reported that certain builds of Google Chrome have zero scroll "lag".

Either way, this whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion. So what if its not scrolling at 60fps? My 27" ultimate iMac lagged like hell on some sites, but it was still responsive, and didn't make the experience unpleasant at all.

If your priorities are to have Facebook scrolling at the maximum frame rate the eye can distinguish, then I'm sorry to tell you but you've just pissed £2000+ up the wall.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I use Facebook about once every 2 months so maybe I don't get it, but what is so important about scrolling in Facebook?

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Its not a hardware limitation at all. Its down to the software, in this case, the browser.

Various people have posted the reason on here already in other similar threads. Its apparently down to current browsers only utilising one CPU core.
Other people have also reported that certain builds of Google Chrome have zero scroll "lag".

Either way, this whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion. So what if its not scrolling at 60fps? My 27" ultimate iMac lagged like hell on some sites, but it was still responsive, and didn't make the experience unpleasant at all.

If your priorities are to have Facebook scrolling at the maximum frame rate the eye can distinguish, then I'm sorry to tell you but you've just pissed £2000+ up the wall.

I have the rMBP. There is no lag in Firefox with any site that I know of. Where I do see lag is if I have a lot going on and I 4 finger swipe up to show my desktops, that animation will lag if I am using integrated graphics.

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
I use Facebook about once every 2 months so maybe I don't get it, but what is so important about scrolling in Facebook?
It's a popular common example. I'm unsure if you and Striker are purposely misreading the OP, but he had another specific example that he was concerned about. In this case, it seems to be a site he might regularly visit, and it's particularly bad when it comes to scrolling.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It's a popular common example. I'm unsure if you and Striker are purposely misreading the OP, but he had another specific example that he was concerned about. In this case, it seems to be a site he might regularly visit, and it's particularly bad when it comes to scrolling.

Scrolling is currently not as smooth as it should (could) be in Lion. This is a fact, but it's no different to my 2011 MBA ultimate running a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. My question is purely because I am curious why people find scrolling performance to be so important, since there are so many threads on this and I haven't got an answer yet. You only notice the slightly jerky scrolling when scrolling up and down the equivalent of multiple screens. I don't understand why someone would spend their time doing this, since no one can read as fast as the scrolling.

When I read a forum I don't scroll up and down incessantly. I scroll down page by page and read all of the comments, or use page up/down, home and end, since it's much quicker, hence why this sort of thing does not bother me. (fn + up/down/left/right arrow keys on the MBP)

The UI performance will certainly be improved with software updates, but I am just curious what is it about scrolling that makes it so important to be smooth?

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Scrolling is currently not as smooth as it should (could) be in Lion. This is a fact, but it's no different to my 2011 MBA ultimate running a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. My question is purely because I am curious why people find scrolling performance to be so important, since there are so many threads on this and I haven't got an answer yet. You only notice the slightly jerky scrolling when scrolling up and down the equivalent of multiple screens. I don't understand why someone would spend their time doing this, since no one can read as fast as the scrolling.

When I read a forum I don't scroll up and down incessantly. I scroll down page by page and read all of the comments, or use page up/down, home and end, since it's much quicker, hence why this sort of thing does not bother me. (fn + up/down/left/right arrow keys on the MBP)

The UI performance will certainly be improved with software updates, but I am just curious what is it about scrolling that makes it so important to be smooth?

people feel dejected when a 2000+ £ machine is not able to do something which a 500£ machine can do without any hiccup.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
people feel dejected when a 2000+ £ machine is not able to do something which a 500£ machine can do without any hiccup.

How do you replicate OS X scrolling on a £500 machine? Which £500 machine are we talking about here? An iPad?

mdapple

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
for the record, running windows in HiDPI mode looks just as good and there is no lag, anywhere, ever--even on Facebook (seriously not kidding). I am normally VERY sensitive to lag but I gotta say when it comes to DPI scaling windows has it right.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I am running Lion on my base rMBP and lag isn't that bad at all, even on the IGN website on Safari. I don't know why everyone is experiencing so much lag on their rMBP's.

fdsafdsa

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
I'm running ML golden master on a rMBP and the scroll lag is unbearable at times. I do believe it will be fixed with software updates but it's honestly extremely frustrating to deal with at the moment. There will be people who don't care / don't notice but if you care about the fine details you WILL notice and it WILL bother you. Everything else about the machine is incredible, the main reason I haven't returned it, but the scroll lag is definitely real even in ML.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Are we referring to scroll lag when you pump up the resolution to something higher than "best for retina"?

I just use the "best for retina" setting and everything seems to work fine for me. I am just on Lion still though.

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
I think I must have sweaty fingers, as I can't do smooth scrolling on any website on this trackpad.

My fingers vibrate a bit as I move them up and down.

Maybe I need to deodorise them before I use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.