Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espiritujo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
columbia, sc
Hey everyone. I ordered a classic MBP last week and it should be coming in by Thursday (15inch, AG screen, 2.6 ghz, etc), and I have a couple of questions. I need to transfer my old files from my previous macbook onto here, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade the new MBP to Mountain Lion before I do that, or if I should just transfer the files using Migration Assistant and then upgrade to Mountain Lion. I'm fairly certain that the MBP will have Lion installed since Mountain Lion is being released this week, so I'm debating what I should probably do first. Has anyone used migration assistant with Mountain Lion yet? And if so, what have your experiences been? Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey everyone. I ordered a classic MBP last week and it should be coming in by Thursday (15inch, AG screen, 2.6 ghz, etc), and I have a couple of questions. I need to transfer my old files from my previous macbook onto here, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade the new MBP to Mountain Lion before I do that, or if I should just transfer the files using Migration Assistant and then upgrade to Mountain Lion. I'm fairly certain that the MBP will have Lion installed since Mountain Lion is being released this week, so I'm debating what I should probably do first. Has anyone used migration assistant with Mountain Lion yet? And if so, what have your experiences been? Thanks!
Which version of Mac OS you have installed will have no impact on transferring your user files. You can transfer them before or after upgrading to ML; it makes no difference.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. My existing MBP is running ML and my new 2012 MBP came with Lion. I used migration assistant and now I can't open mail, iphoto, safari etc. Some error message pops up and doesn't allow it to open. I set my ML upgrade to install when I left to work and i'm wondering if that will remedy my problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.