Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpecialEd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Hi all,

I've a 15in late 2008 MBP (2.4 ghz core 2 duo). About a year ago, I upgraded the HD to a 500GB Momentus XT drive. The system ran great, no problems and I was quite happy with performance. I'm running Lion.

But recently, video is getting really bad. Watching a movie for example, the video will pause, speed up, slow down, it's just impossible to watch after a bit. Im used to an occasional stutter when the video starts up or something, but this gets worse as the video progresses. In addition, I've recently starting getting an occasional spinning beach ball at startup.

so I installed Lion on a USB drive, and tried to watch the same videos from that drive. When booted off the USB drive, if I watch video that is on the internal Momentus drive, it stutters. If I copy that video to the USB, no stutters. To me, that confirms the drive is the problem.

Reading some forums, I decided to upgrade the firmware in the drive, but that hasn't solved the problem. I've removed the drive, and made sure everything is seated well, so it's no bad connections.
Anyone have any ideas what I might be able to do to solve this? Or is my drive shot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.