Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w3rt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
I am starting this thread to make people aware of some issues with mountain lion gm and certain ocz ssds.

As you all know mountain lion gm was released to developers not long ago, and people with non-apple ssds may have some trouble when upgrading to mountain lion.

My friend and I have done some testing with 3 ocz ssds over the last week and 2 of them simply won't work correctly with mountain lion, these 2 being the ocz petrol 128gb and the ocz octane 128gb.

In both situations, will it be through an upgrade or a fresh intall, you cannot boot into the OS after installing on to these devices (unless in safe mode). You basically just get a boot loop every time you turn the computer on. The other tested ssd was an ocz agility which worked flawlessly. The link below is from the ocz forums and they are fully aware of the issues,

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...Octane-1TB-SSD

but it could be some time until either ocz or apple does something about it, which if you are like me, is very bad news, I purchased the ocz petrol only 2 weeks ago, it works great with lion, but my guess is that with mountain lion apple are trying to make it harder to install their new os with non-apple hardware.

So this thread is just a warning that if you intend to upgrade to mountain lion in a few days time, there is a good chance that if you are using non-apple ssds, you may experience some problems.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
im intending to buy the samsung 830, from what i hear, apple is using this vendor for their ssd, so i hope it works fine! :|

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I just bought myself a Crucial M4 128GB which I shall be clean installing mountain lion onto when it comes out. It's my first SSD so i'm really looking forward to it :)

dnjmarlboro

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I'm running Mountain Lion GM with Crucial M4 512GB and have zero problems at all. (iMac Late 2009 with 16GB RAM)

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Running GM on an Agility 3 and it works great, no freezing. It's running on SATA I speed because of an issue with SATA II macs, but I will use the OCZ boot disk to enable SATA II when I get to my desktop.

toastie

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
I have a mid 2010 mac book pro with a samsung 830 SSD is this going to cause problems? i installed the samsung 830 as its the one i read apple were using themselves so figured it would cause me the least problems but now I'm worried about updating?

otech

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Australia
I had the boot loop issue on a couple of DP's when I was upgrading from Lion with a Bootcamp partition.

I was able to resolve it by repartitioning it to 1 HFS+ partition, and installing from there.

I have a Silicon Power e25 128GB (cheapy but running really fast in ML with TRIM and partition aligned).

dorm

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
I tried OCZ Octane 256 GB (indilinx controller) and got into a boot loop :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.