Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hello all.

Supposedly there are ways to uninstall iTunes on Lion. Since I don't have any iDevice I don't need iTunes. Uninstalling it will let me re-claim the disk space.

My question is will iTunes cause anything else to stop working? If no, then great.

Thanks.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
If you're so pressed for space that ~200MB is going to make a difference, you're going to have other problems regardless.

If you really want to, however, you can simply drag iTunes to the trash. It won't affect anything else, and you can always download it again if you do need it in the future. Not true for all the built-in apps, but iTunes is relatively self-contained.

jW

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Supposedly there are ways to uninstall iTunes on Lion. Since I don't have any iDevice I don't need iTunes. Uninstalling it will let me re-claim the disk space.

My question is will iTunes cause anything else to stop working? If no, then great.
I wouldn't recommend uninstalling any of the core apps that come with Mac OS X. You'll get far more free space by moving user files. Also, you don't need to have any iDevices to use iTunes.

Freeing up space in Mac OS X

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Well if you don't know whether iTunes is going to affect what you're using on your computer (and you haven't said, so we could only guess) then I'd recommend you keep it. The system defaults to it for playing various audio stuff.

But you could delete it and see what happens. Seems like a lot of work for very little gain, but perhaps it will work for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.