Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
siritalks
macrumors member

Netgear Router + 3g Dongle for Apple TV - help needed

I'm trying to set up an internal network in my parent's house so that they can stream movies from their iTunes to their Apple TV, without the use of the internet (the signal is really bad in their house).

They currently use a 3 Mobile (UK mobile company) 3g dongle which connects to the internet relatively ok, but they have no wifi so I need to set up a local area network.

They have a Netgear router (DG834GT) which they have used in the past, so I thought I'd use this to set up the network. Problem is, I can't seem to get it to work. It doesn't find it when I type 192.168.0.1 into safari, so I can't set it up. Any ideas why it won't find it? I'm assuming it's something to do with the 3 dongle and it's own settings?

When I check network preferences it shows the USB Modem connected, but the Ethernet says inactive. Can they both be active at the same time?

Basically, how do I set this up... I have literally no idea what I'm doing.

Many thanks in advance.

ps. I'm using an iMac 2011 27" running Lion to set this up.
siritalks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
MacUser09
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by siritalks View Post
I'm trying to set up an internal network in my parent's house so that they can stream movies from their iTunes to their Apple TV, without the use of the internet (the signal is really bad in their house).

They currently use a 3 Mobile (UK mobile company) 3g dongle which connects to the internet relatively ok, but they have no wifi so I need to set up a local area network.

They have a Netgear router (DG834GT) which they have used in the past, so I thought I'd use this to set up the network. Problem is, I can't seem to get it to work. It doesn't find it when I type 192.168.0.1 into safari, so I can't set it up. Any ideas why it won't find it? I'm assuming it's something to do with the 3 dongle and it's own settings?

When I check network preferences it shows the USB Modem connected, but the Ethernet says inactive. Can they both be active at the same time?

Basically, how do I set this up... I have literally no idea what I'm doing.

Many thanks in advance.

ps. I'm using an iMac 2011 27" running Lion to set this up.
I realise its not wifi as you want, but can you not connect using Ethernet?
MacUser09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
siritalks
macrumors member

I guess I can try that but I'll need some mains ethernet plugs I think. The router is upstairs and the TV down.
siritalks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:18 PM   #4
NedFlanders
macrumors member

Did you try resetting the router just in case someone changed the routers IP etc.?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
CocoaPuffs
macrumors 68010

It's probably 192.168.1.1, not 192.168.0.1.

Not sure what version of whatever OS you're running, but you can use ipconfig under Windows cmd.exe to find the Default Gateway ip address.

If you need instructions, try googling "how to obtain default gateway ip address in insert os" and that should probably get you somewhere.
CocoaPuffs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
apple tv, dongle, local, network, router