Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evolute8

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
ScreenShot2012-07-24at52943PM.png

I've just got my 13" i7 256gb 8gb ram few days ago.

I began installing istat pro as well as coconutbattery.

However, the battery level remaining is different from the one shown in istat pro and coconutbattery.

What could possibly be the problem?
How do I resolve this issue?

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I don't think that's an issue... the status bar just seemingly has a different approximation algorithm than the other two applications. I don't think it's worth bothering with this...

evolute8

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Because on my 2011 13" MBP, the battery remaining for all 3 places shows the same %..

astoxos

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
i have the same issue here: istat and coconut shows 5% less than the OEM battery gauge. I dont thing its something to worry about though..

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
GGJ is right as ever. It's the same on my retina MBP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 21.03.45.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 21.03.45.png
    233 KB · Views: 355

evolute8

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Hopefully ML will fix this issue

Or perhaps an update for the 2012 models

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hopefully ML will fix this issue

Or perhaps an update for the 2012 models
I don't think it's a Mac OS X issue. I think it's more likely that it's an issue with the 3rd party apps that need to be updated to be compatible with new Mac models. My guess is you'll see updates to those apps in the near future.

evolute8

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I don't think it's a Mac OS X issue. I think it's more likely that it's an issue with the 3rd party apps that need to be updated to be compatible with new Mac models. My guess is you'll see updates to those apps in the near future.

oh...so the issue is with the apps and not the system itself?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
oh...so the issue is with the apps and not the system itself?
Yes, most likely. The apps work fine with earlier models, even running Lion, so the only difference is the newer hardware. My guess is you'll see app updates to correct it.

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012

I agree that this is probably the case - I noticed this too with iStat Pro.

Honestly, it's not a huge issue. I'd always trust the OS estimate more than any 3rd party program anyway. If it's low enough, charge - that's pretty much all the indicator needs to tell you :p

Reshka

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
batproblem.png

I'm having the same issue with my new Macbook Pro (Mid 2014).

My MBP shows 100 % battery charge , but Coconutbattery just 95%. After this point (MagSafe's led switches to green when status bar shows 100 %) coconut still thinks that the MBP is charging and shows the 100 % after nearly 2 hours. After unplugging my MBP , the status bar indicator stays about 10 Minutes at 100 % while Coconut displays a normal discharge (when coconut shows exactly 95 % charge the status bar starts decreasing, too)

I've noticed the 5 % offset after switching from bootcamp to Mac the first time (Windows forced Sleep Mode at 5 % charge -> after rebooting to Macbook : 5 % offset)

Is there already a solution for this problem? (tried SMC and PRAM reset already)

(Sorry for my bad english)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I'm having the same issue with my new Macbook Pro (Mid 2014).

My MBP shows 100 % battery charge , but Coconutbattery just 95%. After this point (MagSafe's led switches to green when status bar shows 100 %) coconut still thinks that the MBP is charging and shows the 100 % after nearly 2 hours. After unplugging my MBP , the status bar indicator stays about 10 Minutes at 100 % while Coconut displays a normal discharge (when coconut shows exactly 95 % charge the status bar starts decreasing, too)

I've noticed the 5 % offset after switching from bootcamp to Mac the first time (Windows forced Sleep Mode at 5 % charge -> after rebooting to Macbook : 5 % offset)

Is there already a solution for this problem? (tried SMC and PRAM reset already)

(Sorry for my bad english)

There really is nothing wrong here. Coconut battery is showing the correct information and is accurate. The OS is fudging the number in that menu bar graphic I suspect so users don't become overly concerned about normal battery fluctuations while on AC power.

If you click the Apple at the top left of your screen then select About this Mac then More Info then System Report and scroll down to the power section you will see the exact same (accurate) number (below) Coconut is reporting.

Nothing to worry about.

FdXdjXN.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.