Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
...it hit me today that, while I want to install Windows in a partition on the rMBP I'm getting, I'm not actually certain of how to. Until now I've always used the optical drive along with an install CD but that won't work now, obviously. So what's the best way to install Windows and any subsequent software and drivers needed for it to run properly (with regards to these, how do I get them?) on a rMBP? Dumb question I know, but I'm can't think of a better way to find out than on here.

Thanks!

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
...it hit me today that, while I want to install Windows in a partition on the rMBP I'm getting, I'm not actually certain of how to. Until now I've always used the optical drive along with an install CD but that won't work now, obviously. So what's the best way to install Windows and any subsequent software and drivers needed for it to run properly (with regards to these, how do I get them?) on a rMBP? Dumb question I know, but I'm can't think of a better way to find out than on here.

Thanks!

It's a lot easier than you think. I used VMware Fusion 4.1 to install windows on an external HDD. I have a rMBP base model so I wanted to save the space. It took less than an hour and now windows runs very smoothly. I have to plug in the drive to get it to work but that's no big deal for me.

If you use VMware Fusion, all you have to do is direct the install to your external HDD.

Rich

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
You'll sort of need a superdrive or equivalent external CD. I believe it's possible without but a complete pain in the neck. You'd have to burn an ISO of the Windows installation disk to a USB drive (or SD card?)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
You'll sort of need a superdrive or equivalent external CD. I believe it's possible without but a complete pain in the neck. You'd have to burn an ISO of the Windows installation disk to a USB drive (or SD card?)

Not a pain in the neck with ISO image.

get an ISO image for Windows on flash drive (8g or higher), either from your installation disk or get the windows 8 preview ISO online (this is what I did for my rMBP).

Once you have the ISO image, just follow instructions in bootcamp.

check create windows install disk
check download apple drivers for windows...Will need these once windows is installed.

when this completes

click install windows..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.