Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avionicsman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Canuck Land!!
So there I was checking the PGA golf scores and throwing down the next word against my buddy on wwf on my "new" iPad (3) using the 3G network and all of a sudden the signal dropped off and I lost my data connection. I waited and the corner bar said "searching..." and I waited and waited. Then I closed all my apps and waited a bit more. still searching... So I turn the iPad off and reboot. Hmm still in searching mode. So I go and turn on my hotspot on my iPhone and connect that way and with in 2 minutes the iPad screen dims then goes dark and the iPad reboots itself?!?! I felt the lower left corner of the iPad near the dock connector and it was much warmer than the rest of the back of the iPad. I turned the unit off and when I brought it to work I did some hard reboots and ejected the sim card and the iPad still said "searching..." we measured the iPad back with one of our laser thermal guns and the hot corner was in fact 9f higher than any other corner at intial start up. All other corners were around 79f. Called apple support and we ran some tests and I'm off to the Apple store to get a new iPad.

Has anyone else had this type of failure?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.