Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hello ALL...
Now there are remers that 13" rMBP is on the way.

Till today, i was really wanted to purchase 13" rMBP, but since it wants available ,i have almost descided to go for 15". But havent ordered yet.
But, with Student Discount i get Base 15" rMBP + 16 GB+ 256 GB for $2179.00
+ $100 in Gift card for App store.

I really want 16GB in my machine.
Is this a good deal ?

OR Do you think new 13" rMBP will support 16 GB ? if thats possible then i can wait couple months..
What do u suggest ? 13" or 15"

Currently i do own 13" Mac Book ( Not Pro ) and the max memory is 4 GB :(

What should i do ?

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Do you know for certain that you need or can use 16GB? Most users don't need that much.

What year and model is your MacBook? It probably supports more than 4GB.

I think mine is 2008 or may be 2009 Macbook ( Not Pro ) core2duo.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

I think your 2008 unibody MacBook
Is stuck at 4gb max ram

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
maybe, maybe not, the SR C2D MBP only supported 4gb

To answer the question about the 13" rMBP, the 15" does come with a B2O option of 16gb so its likely the 13" will as well

Actually I bet it comes with 4gb ram with a maxed option of 8gb.
Keep in mind they do limit these things sometimes, such as the SSD on the 15" rMBP, you have to get the higher cpu for more SSD space.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Do you know for certain that you need or can use 16GB? Most users don't need that much.

I absolutely agree, the current 16Gb hysteria is only being driven by the new Retina MBP and current low pricing of 8Gb modules, fuelled by those that dont fully understand OS X`s memory management. I consider myself a heavy user and still 8Gb is more than enough. 16Gb is extreme end of the spectrum.

At the end of the day it`s your money, if you are willing to pass on a higher specified machine at a greater loss all power to you and thats a fact.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I absolutely agree, the current 16Gb hysteria is only being driven by the new Retina MBP and current low pricing of 8Gb modules, fuelled by those that dont fully understand OS X`s memory management. I consider myself a heavy user and still 8Gb is more than enough. 16Gb is extreme end of the spectrum.
At the end of the day it`s your money, if you are willing to pass on a higher specified machine at a greater loss all power to you and thats a fact.

That is completly untrue. If you do any kind of HD video editing, or after effects work 16gb definitely comes in handy. I have 16gb im my 2012 cMBP and often see it using 8-10gb of it while in FCPx

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
That is completly untrue. If you do any kind of HD video editing, or after effects work 16gb definitely comes in handy. I have 16gb im my 2012 cMBP and often see it using 8-10gb of it while in FCPx

True...

My friend has high end MBA with i7 and 8gb ram, but his Air is struggling to hendle VM with win 7 :confused:

and i am planning to run 2 VM , 1 with win 7 and one with Win Prof. and some Home video stuff too. i am dam sure i need 16. and it would different case if rMBP are user upgradable. then i dont care, just get 8 GB and if you need down the line one can always install it.
So, i dont wann take any chance, how much $$ i will save ? $180 ??

i think its worth spending $180 for 16GB IMO.

But, can any body convince me about 13" rMBP? i really like 13" but now i am not sure , what if they dont come 16GB ? bcoz of small space ? who knows..

Thors.Hammer

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
True...

My friend has high end MBA with i7 and 8gb ram, but his Air is struggling to hendle VM with win 7

I find that hard to believe but it certainly depends on many factors. I created a VM on my 2012 MBA with 8GB of RAM and it ran very well using Fusion. The VM has two cores and 3GB RAM allocated to it.

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
True...

My friend has high end MBA with i7 and 8gb ram, but his Air is struggling to hendle VM with win 7 :confused:

and i am planning to run 2 VM , 1 with win 7 and one with Win Prof. and some Home video stuff too. i am dam sure i need 16. and it would different case if rMBP are user upgradable. then i dont care, just get 8 GB and if you need down the line one can always install it.
So, i dont wann take any chance, how much $$ i will save ? $180 ??

i think its worth spending $180 for 16GB IMO.

But, can any body convince me about 13" rMBP? i really like 13" but now i am not sure , what if they dont come 16GB ? bcoz of small space ? who knows..

No one's going to convince you about the 13" rMBP because we don't even know if it'll happen (although we predict that it will). 16GB of RAM takes as much physical space as any other configuration because it's just two DIMM slots.

It's only worth spending $180 for 16GB if you're going to use it. You virtualize, so you probably will. If you aren't going to use it, you might as well get a Nexus 7 or have a couple of good nights out instead.

For what it matters, my tentative plans are to get a 15" rMBP (2.3/16), and not worry about if or when a 13" comes out. Even if it does come out we don't know any of the specs - whether there will be a quad core model, how much more/less it'll cost than a 15", etc.

If you need a new computer, I'd recommend just getting the 15" 2.3/16 and be done with it. But that's my plan, so I may be biased.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
:confused:
No one's going to convince you about the 13" rMBP because we don't even know if it'll happen (although we predict that it will). 16GB of RAM takes as much physical space as any other configuration because it's just two DIMM slots.

It's only worth spending $180 for 16GB if you're going to use it. You virtualize, so you probably will. If you aren't going to use it, you might as well get a Nexus 7 or have a couple of good nights out instead.

For what it matters, my tentative plans are to get a 15" rMBP (2.3/16), and not worry about if or when a 13" comes out. Even if it does come out we don't know any of the specs - whether there will be a quad core model, how much more/less it'll cost than a 15", etc.

If you need a new computer, I'd recommend just getting the 15" 2.3/16 and be done with it. But that's my plan, so I may be biased.

Its true , and you are correct...
if i think wisely, i really dont need laptop. i have my old 13" macbook ( i am trying to convince my self to spend $2000, to get faster machine :p )

And, have Dell from my work, but then i plan to use Macbook at work too..what the hack...its just even fun typing on Mac's keyboard..

but, then i think...ummm..let save some $$$ and i get back to Dell..descisions ...descision...:rolleyes::confused::)

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
:confused:

Its true , and you are correct...
if i think wisely, i really dont need laptop. i have my old 13" macbook ( i am trying to convince my self to spend $2000, to get faster machine :p )

And, have Dell from my work, but then i plan to use Macbook at work too..what the hack...its just even fun typing on Mac's keyboard..

but, then i think...ummm..let save some $$$ and i get back to Dell..descisions ...descision...:rolleyes::confused::)

I mean, I currently have a computer, but I "need" one in the sense that my lines of research require me to virtualize several Linux machines, and I'm having trouble virtualizing one on my current setup (C2D, 4GB RAM). So a quad-core 16GB would come in handy for sure.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I mean, I currently have a computer, but I "need" one in the sense that my lines of research require me to virtualize several Linux machines, and I'm having trouble virtualizing one on my current setup (C2D, 4GB RAM). So a quad-core 16GB would come in handy for sure.

Bingo..Exactly;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think mine is 2008 or may be 2009 Macbook ( Not Pro ) core2duo.
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
maybe, maybe not, the SR C2D MBP only supported 4gb
False. Read the links provided.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

I think your 2008 unibody MacBook
Is stuck at 4gb max ram
The link you posted proves it supports up to 8GB.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Most are not editing HD, OS X and FCPx will consume all available RAM nor does this does not mean that a system with 8Gb wont be capable of editing HD. It is what it is if you put 32Gb in to a system OS X will look to use as much as possible, as will some app`s. The bottom line is people just need to look at their specific need and choose accordingly, yet I see post after post advocating 16GB for the Retina MBP with no real substance. You may well need 16Gb the average user likely does not and they will never reclaim the additional cost. People need to be informed how OS X uses RAM, if 16GB was a necessity it would be a standard feature, especially for the Retina as Apple has to see the technology take off smoothly. Many are utilising systems with 4Gb with little or no issue, so why would they suddenly need to jump to 16Gb? This is exactly why it`s a BTO option...

Understanding the Activity Monitor's System Memory tab

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
...yet I see post after post advocating 16GB for the Retina MBP with no real substance. You may well need 16Gb the average user likely does not and they will never reclaim the additional cost. People need to be informed how OS X uses RAM, if 16GB was a necessity it would be a standard feature, especially for the Retina as Apple has to see the technology take off smoothly. Many are utilising systems with 4Gb with little or no issue, so why would they suddenly need to jump to 16Gb? This is exactly why it`s a BTO option...

Understanding the Activity Monitor's System Memory tab

Thats because after you buy your rMBP you are STUCK with the ram you buy it with, if you're planing to keep it for more than a couple of years its better to be safe than sorry and just go for the max amt of ram WHILE YOU CAN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.