Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Callumbear845

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
How have people been running Battlefield 3 on their rMBPs? I am running it under the developer preview of Windows 8 and I can't seem to get the settings right to get the combination of very crisp graphics and a great frame rate. In general I am running medium settings and 1920x1200. I would really like to run 2880x1800, but that may be a tad optimistic.

Has anyone found the perfect settings?

qpiqp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
I think the optimal gameplay experience will not come from running the game in full resolution. I would just turn it down to one of the lower ones, which will still look amazing.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I play all games at 1280x800 in Windows.

The screen is so small that such low resolutions arent that obvious at all.

Also, playing at 2880x1800 is pointless.

qpiqp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
I generally use 1680x1050, and sometimes 1920x1080, but I can't really tell the difference. I've been playing TF2, America's Army 3, and GTA IV. Also Civ 5 but not as much.

Sumalee

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
For some reason i get very low 30's fps even in low gfx in 1920x1080 in clamshell mode on Caspian Border... I use a dvi to mini display adapter. I didn't try to play on native res on my rmbp screen but the game seems to be unplayable. Please note that I use native bootcamp drivers...

xpcker

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
For me i use 1680x1050 with medium high settings.

u get 60+ fps and u can frap the hell out of anyone!

Drask

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
For some reason i get very low 30's fps even in low gfx in 1920x1080 in clamshell mode on Caspian Border... I use a dvi to mini display adapter. I didn't try to play on native res on my rmbp screen but the game seems to be unplayable. Please note that I use native bootcamp drivers...

Someone said that this is because sometimes in clamshell mode the display won't turn off, so you're driving double displays. Not sure on this though.

Sumalee

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Someone said that this is because sometimes in clamshell mode the display won't turn off, so you're driving double displays. Not sure on this though.

I will check next time I play, but I' pretty sure it is off. I will try to upgrade my drivers and see if i get something better.

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I will check next time I play, but I' pretty sure it is off. I will try to upgrade my drivers and see if i get something better.

I'd like to know if you have any success updating the Nvidia drivers. I have read the posts in this forum, but as of yet I haven't been able to get the 304.79 drivers to install properly.

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
For me i use 1680x1050 with medium high settings.

u get 60+ fps and u can frap the hell out of anyone!

Hey can you tell me what your set up is? Like the OP I'm using Windows 8 Preview, which I understand is probably limiting my performance a bit (I'll buy Windows 7 soon, especially after hearing Gabe Newell talk smack on 8's game performance). I haven't been able to get the modified Inf to work with the new beta drivers, so I'm still using the driver that bootcamp sets up. I'm also using the Macbook screen instead of my external monitor, which looks washed out, the game looks 1000x better on the rmbp screen using the same settings.

Here are the settings I'm using:

Res: 1680x1050
Text: M
Shadow: L
Effects: M
Mesh: M
Terrain: M
Terrain D: M
AA Def: Off
AA Post: Low
Motion Blur: Off
Anisotropic Filter: 4x
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO

I just played a game on Operation 925 and was getting high 30's fps average, with drops to low 30's and highs in the upper 40's. It never drops below 30 fps.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I remember playing BF3 on Medium on my previous MBP 15 with the 6750M 1GB at 40fps constant, but that required overclocking which I think needs to be done also.

theAXEDhead

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
How to install the drivers

The "Dude";15316375 said:
I'd like to know if you have any success updating the Nvidia drivers. I have read the posts in this forum, but as of yet I haven't been able to get the 304.79 drivers to install properly.

You can install the drivers, though you have to go through a couple of steps. (note this advice is for installing on Windows 8 RM, not sure if it applies to W7). Once I installed the drivers the following happened for me: (1) my windows user experience score changed from 7.1 to 7.3, (2) Batman Arkham City started working.

To install the drivers:
(1) down load them from here and also the .inf file.
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29609-v30479-windows-8-64bit-nvidia-oem-mobile/

(2) replace the standard inf file with the downloaded doctored inf file (search for it in the downloaded unzipped folder and replace).

(3) BEFORE attempting to run the setup.exe to install the drivers you must disable the requirement of Windows 8 for Driver signature enforcement. To do this follow the instructions here http://laslow.net/2012/03/14/disable-driver-signature-enforcement-in-windows-8-cp/ It will requre a reboot. Once rebooted, run the driver install.

The driver download page implies that modded inf file does not lead to any odd power changes etc, however there is no way to confirm this. So far my machine has been running rather well. Batman is totally jaw dropping on this machine (rMBP 2.6/16/512)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.