Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
al82
macrumors regular

Apple TV mirroring, how to get full screen?

I bought an Apple TV today solely for mirroring as my tv already has netflix built in.

I have 55inch sony led. No matter what settings i try i get boarders on all sides.

Any 1080p material i play lags.

Also there seems to be a bug, sometimes when i have mirroring turned on, anywhere i click it clicks to the right of it, hard to explain. Say i click a icon on my desktop, it actually acts like i clicked on the icon 3 to the right of it.

I really hope you get true full screen soon.

Anyone been able to get 10.8 mac to Apple tv without any boarders?
al82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by al82 View Post
I bought an Apple TV today solely for mirroring as my tv already has netflix built in.

I have 55inch sony led. No matter what settings i try i get boarders on all sides.

Any 1080p material i play lags.

Also there seems to be a bug, sometimes when i have mirroring turned on, anywhere i click it clicks to the right of it, hard to explain. Say i click a icon on my desktop, it actually acts like i clicked on the icon 3 to the right of it.

I really hope you get true full screen soon.

Anyone been able to get 10.8 mac to Apple tv without any boarders?
To get mirroring without borders, you must select the option in the Display prefs that says best for Mirroring, then experiment with the "OverScan" option.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

I mirror my iPad 2 by zooming the screen (x2) on my 32" Panasonic. It fits fine.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
al82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
To get mirroring without borders, you must select the option in the Display prefs that says best for Mirroring, then experiment with the "OverScan" option.
I only get options for best for airplay, best for buil in display and scaled.

All those give boarders :-( maybe its down to the tv. This tv i have only got released 2-3 months ago.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by al82 View Post
I only get options for best for airplay, best for buil in display and scaled.

All those give boarders :-( maybe its down to the tv. This tv i have only got released 2-3 months ago.
There should be a check box at the bottom of the screen for overscan. Uncheck it.

Also your TV should have options which help with the same thing.

It is one of those two. I had the same problem with my MBA - fixed by using best for TV resolution and unchecking the overscan checkbox at the bottom.

EDIT: Also any full screen video you play from your browser will most likely lag. At least mine does using the 2011 MBA. I'm not sure about full blown MBP units with their quad core processors.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:04 PM   #6
al82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
There should be a check box at the bottom of the screen for overscan. Uncheck it.

It is one of those two. I had the same problem with my MBA - fixed by using best for TV resolution and unchecking the overscan checkbox at the bottom.

EDIT: Also any full screen video you play from your browser will most likely lag. At least mine does using the 2011 MBA. I'm not sure about full blown MBP units with their quad core processors.
Thanks for the reply. Unchecking overscan actually makes my image smaller. I can use different tv settings to mess with the picture size but it never gets it perfect always cuts the top and bottom or has borders everywhere.

Thanks anyway, i literally tried every settings.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
This is what I had to do with my Vizio.

Quote:
The CPU is not the bottleneck for AirPlay. It's most likely your wi-fi. I have crappy bandwidth and ATV needs to buffer a lot.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

i have a new 2012 Samsung SmartTv and when i select best for airplay i get it full screen with no boarders.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:27 PM   #9
al82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
i have a new 2012 Samsung SmartTv and when i select best for airplay i get it full screen with no boarders.
Weird thing is when i use minidisplay to hdmi my sony tv has the picture perfect, where as my LG can not produce even a half decent image.

Man it looks like the tv itself also has to be right :-(
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:01 AM   #10
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
The CPU is not the bottleneck for AirPlay. It's most likely your wi-fi. I have crappy bandwidth and ATV needs to buffer a lot.
My WiFi is connecting at 300Mbps. Does the air have a 3x3 for 450?
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion