Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tgantt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I have a MacBook Pro 2006 model. I think the boot file is corupt and I have tried the recovery but stops and say boot file corupt reinstall. I have Lion on it and when I go into the recovery screen it says the disc is locked. My problem is my DVDrom is dying and will not take disc. How can I boot and reinstall Lion from an external USB CD/DVD rom? Also how do external DVD create a Lion recovery drive or USB recovery LION drive. Or please send any other advice, I don't want to do a full install and lose my data.
Thanks
Toney
:confused:

Heisler98

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
This is a little more work than expected, but it's the safest and most legal route. Use another Mac (whether that's one you own, one at the library, a friends, etc) to login to the Mac App Store under your Apple ID. Redownload Lion to the Applications folder. Once downloaded, right-click and click "Show Package Contents" and go to Contents > Shared Support. Inside the "Shared Support" folder you'll find InstallESD.dmg. MOVE that out of the folder to the Desktop (that way there isn't a copy wait time) and then restore that DMG file to a flash drive through Disk Utility (the restore tab in the flash drive selection).

Once the DMG contents are restored to your flash drive, try to boot from the flash drive. It it fails, well then that's around the time you go to a repair place and replace the hard drive, then try to access whatever files you can on the corrupted drive. Or, you could buy a Lion Install USB Drive from Apple, or take it to a professional.
Advice: use a Time Machine backup to make sure you always have your data.
Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.