Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to stream movies off of a WD My Passport 1TB drive connected to the Time Capsule USB port. Every time I try to stream a movie or use the port to copy a file to Time Capsule (TC), it bombs out Time Capsule - i.e. Time Capsule loses all internet connections, freezes and is un reachable via Airport Utility. Also seems like anytime TC is busy doing something like backing up when Time Machine is running the WIFI connection suffers.

Can someone help me out with this? Is it because the USB port on TC is meant for printers only? What is a better way to use TC as a media server? Also is it better to lay off of internet usage when Time Machine is doing a backup to TC?

Any help is appreciated Thanks !

OrangeSoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
so you have this?

WD My Passport ---USB--> Time Capsule ---WiFi---> MacBook Pro?

and this works perfectly fine for you?

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Almost

Yes except it is a MBA not Pro. Also, I have not tried streaming. But i copy big files back and forth between usb drive and mba using wireless connection via time capsule with aplomb.

EDIT - yesterday I put a DVD instructional video on the external drive attached to my TC. I am able to access and play the DVD from my MBA wirelessly. Works very well. In fact, I am considering putting all my instructional DVD's on that drive for safekeeping and easy access when I am home. So it appears that streaming a DVD movie works very well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.