Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What phone do you currently have?

• Yes I'm upgrading. I currently have the 4S.

Votes: 180 38.7%
  • Yes I'm upgrading I currently have the 4.

Votes: 193 41.5%
  • Yes I'm upgrading. I currently have the 3GS.

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Yes I'm upgrading. I currently have __other__ (Android, BB, Windows, etc)

Votes: 60 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just wanted to get a general consensus. Are you upgrading to the 5 this fall? If you are please click what ever applies to you (which phone you currently have).

Feel free to not only partake in the poll but also elaborate if you'd like to, on why you're upgrading.

ALSO, if you're not upgrading (I'm sorry there is no "not upgrading" poll option), please explain why.

Me personally? I have the 4S, just got it back in December, so I will NOT be upgrading this fall. I am on contract til Dec of 2013, which will be just in time to get a 6 without having to wait. :)

And honestly, even if I wasn't on contract, I'd still keep my 4S for two years. I love this phone, it's incredibly fast, and ever since I jailbroke it, I've been using it more than ever. Will I be jealous seeing all the new 5's around? Sure. But it's also kind of cool having an older generation, imo.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Just wanted to get a general consensus. Are you upgrading to the 5 this fall?

Feel free to not only partake in the poll but also elaborate if you'd like to, on why you're upgrading.

ALSO, if you're not upgrading, please explain why.

I need to see the product before I commit.

Most likely yes, but I want to see Windows Phone 8 too for a couple of different reasons.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Probably.

But again... how is this any different than asking me if I'm buying the new Xbox this fall?

The iPhone 5 hasn't even been announced for a Fall release. And we don't know anything about it, other than some speculation here and there.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Probably.

But again... how is this any different than asking me if I'm buying the new Xbox this fall?

The iPhone 5 hasn't even been announced for a Fall release. And we don't know anything about it, other than some speculation here and there.

Okay, this isn't a scientific study. It's quite simple. If you don't wish to partake, by all means.

And this IS different than me asking if you are getting an XBox, XBox doesn't have a new version every year, and doesn't have the same desire/market as phones do. So that's completely random that you would even bring that up.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I already upgraded ....to a galaxy note. IPhone got a bit stale for me. Not saying I wouldn't go back to an iPhone but they need to start leading again and not following.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ditto....if nothing else, gotta get LTE.

Never experienced LTE, nor know anything about it, lol.

I suppose it would be nice, but I'm willing to wait until my contract is up to have it.

My 3G is pretty strong, and I mostly browse on the web with my phone while I'm at home with wifi, or at a hotspot. So I guess I don't feel the need for it.

Are 4G LTE contracts more expensive than 3G data plans? Sorry I seriously have no idea about LTE.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I really have no idea.

Prolly getting a MBA for college so I would need to save up.

Plus my iPhone 4 (CDMA) still kicks ass.

But Verizon is giving me an early upgrade bonus (Oct 2012) instead of (Feb 2013).

So its tempting...

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I need to see the product before I commit.

Most likely yes, but I want to see Windows Phone 8 too for a couple of different reasons.

Didn't even think of putting an option on the poll that says "I don't know", because I'm sure a lot of people are on the fence about it.

Even though I'm not upgrading, I am very excited to see the 5, and also play with my friends when he gets it. (He has a 4, and is upgrading to the 5)

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just like the OP, I got my 4s in December. I probably will not be upgrading.

Do you mind me asking? Why do you not choose to upgrade every year like the majority?

I only get new phones when my contract is up. I dont make enough money to blow it on a phone every year. I'm also the same with all my possessions, I only have a few pair of shoes and they are on average, 4-5 years old. I guess I just like to take care and preserve things, squeeze every ounce out of them before ever getting rid of them. Rather than just selling it and upgrading to the new phone every time, I'll enjoy my 4S for two years. I mean, two years flies (unfortunately). It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of getting a phone every year.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I am using a 4 and my 2 year contract expires in December. I will most likely get the next iPhone. My interest is mainly Siri and a faster processor. I don't care much about the screen as I'm already happy with the 4's screen.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
yup I'll wait till all rumors are removed and actual info and specs are listed. I will then decide get the new Iphone keep my 4S or switch to Android.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Do you mind me asking? Why do you not choose to upgrade every year like the majority?

I only get new phones when my contract is up. I dont make enough money to blow it on a phone every year. I'm also the same with all my possessions, I only have a few pair of shoes and they are on average, 4-5 years old. I guess I just like to take care and preserve things, squeeze every ounce out of them before ever getting rid of them. Rather than just selling it and upgrading to the new phone every time, I'll enjoy my 4S for two years. I mean, two years flies (unfortunately). It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of getting a phone every year.

To be honest with you, I don't really care at all. Yes, the new iPhones are nice but at the end of the day, I'm happy if I can browse the web occasionally, access some social networking apps, make calls and send texts.

I had only upgraded from my 3GS because it broke.

I dont mind getting a new phone when I can get it for cheap (or for practically nothing since I can sell my old phone) but considering I can't right now and the fact that I don't really care - id rather save my money or spend it on something else.

I don't drool over new apple products anymore.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I didn't vote in the poll because it doesn't allow for my setup. I have the 4S but I have an upgrade-eligible 2nd line as well. That one currently has a sturdy but getting quite long in the tooth LG CU-515.

So I might get the next iPhone, or maybe not. I love my 4S. I have to see what Apple brings to market in the fall.

The new shared data plans the carriers are coming out with now would make it cheaper than needing two distinct data plans if I decide to keep the 4S and upgrade the other line to the 2012 release of iPhone.

But, my existing data plan is unlimited. I would have to think very hard about letting that go for a shared limited plan. Just because I might like the new phone and would still like my 4S is not a good excuse for keeping 2 activated iPhones in my telecom expense.

It would be great if I could transfer the unlimited plan to my second line's new iPhone this fall, and then drop the other line when the 4S contract ends in 2013. I could use the 4S on WiFi only, or give it to a neighbor for him to let his kid use as an iPod touch.

Bottom line, it's a puzzle for me until I see the new iPhone and its specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.