Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM   #126
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple uses such terms as "Fall transition" to represent changes to their product lines. Lower expected gross margins could point to new products with lower prices. The obvious speculation would point to the much rumored smaller/cheaper 7.85" iPad. Whatever the "fall transition" is, Apple expects it to take place before the end of September in order for it to impact the next quarter.
where do you people come from? the Devry school of buziness?

Thats not what Fall Transition means, at all.

The Transition refers to the temporary decline in revenue as their major product launches approach, and sales of existing products dwindle ad come to a standstill as new products get closer to launch day. It has absolutely nothing to do with new low priced products that have slim margins for Apple. LMAO
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:35 AM   #127
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Project Glass.

https://plus.google.com/111626127367496192147/posts

Besides, Google is an Internet and a software company, making gadgets is a "hobby" for them. You know, just like a certain product that sold millions of units still is only a hobby for a certain tech company with a fruit logo from California.
Oh...I totally forgot about this and how you can roll down to Best Buy and buy it right now...

Vaporware like MS courier isn't a product...try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbotts View Post
Not to mention, the Google Driverless Car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

That could take the company to a whole new level of integration into our lives.
Oh...I totally forgot about this and how you can roll down to a car dealer and buy one right now...
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:37 AM   #128
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Oh...I totally forgot about this and how you can roll down to Best Buy and buy it right now...

Vaporware like MS courier isn't a product...try again.
Demonstrating that you don't know what vaporware really is?
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:40 AM   #129
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
I think I 've missed the part where you actually replied to my points about the lack of real technical innovation at apple...
I did reply..those % show that people do not agree with you about innovation...otherwise their products would not be selling.

You can also head to Post #74 if you want more about it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Demonstrating that you don't know what vaporware really is?
I totally know what vaporware is. I don't think you do.

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled.

Until those 'hobbies' actually are released and are out of Google's test lab, they are nothing more then that.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:20 AM   #130
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
I totally know what vaporware is. I don't think you do.

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled.

Until those 'hobbies' actually are released and are out of Google's test lab, they are nothing more then that.

First, Courier was never anounced to the general public, so it wasn never vaporware.

And second, Project Glasses was presented months ago and was said that it will be released next year.

Are you saying that when Apple presents a product and didn't release it for months it is vaporware? Was the iPhone from January 2.007 to June 2.007 vaporware?

Yeas, you have demonstrated that you don't know what vaporware is
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:25 AM   #131
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by santaliqueur View Post
Looks like they are 43.
Last year, yes, but since they are going to do more than $150 billion in revenue this year, they are much higher than that these days.

Apple has already made $18 billion more in 2012 than they did in all of 2011 -- with an entire quarter still to go.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:29 AM   #132
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
First, Courier was never anounced to the general public, so it wasn never vaporware.

And second, Project Glasses was presented months ago and was said that it will be released next year.

Are you saying that when Apple presents a product and didn't release it for months it is vaporware? Was the iPhone from January 2.007 to June 2.007 vaporware?

its a controlled dev release only to those who attended google i/o

all the google fans say how cool google glass is but no one can seem to figure out why its cool or any practical use for it in everyday life. for iphone and ipad there is a practical use that can save you money in a lot of cases.

WTF does google glass do except present data to you that in a lot of cases you don't really need unless you're a retard who needs navigation in normal life
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 AM   #133
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Apple when they present a product actually has...wait for it...a RELEASE DATE and ...wait for it... a PRICING MODEL.

And how many times have we heard about something being released 'next year' and it never actually occurs?

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:45 AM   #134
Rogifan
In Time-Out

Quote:

Seriously you're comparing the first iPhone to Google Glasses? When Apple annouced it they had specs, price and release date. That's not vaporware.
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:00 AM   #135
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Seriously you're comparing the first iPhone to Google Glasses? When Apple annouced it they had specs, price and release date. That's not vaporware.
He's clueless dude...don't even bother.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:07 AM   #136
mccldwll
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
No Worries, only _some_ of Apples revenue is actually being reported.

"Apple leaves cash overseas. If it brought it home to the U.S., it would have to pay federal income taxes on the money. (though it would get a credit for foreign taxes already paid)

In Apple's case, those overseas accounts have grown to a staggering $74 billion — equal to the market value of Citigroup Inc."

Apple doesn't miss a trick

source: http://www.ajc.com/business/how-appl...src=cb_article

Actually, no. All of that revenue is being reported by aapl but foreign sourced income is taxed where generated at lower rates. Foreign sourced income which is repatriated would then be subject to U.S. taxes (with a credit for any foreign taxes paid thereon).
mccldwll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #137
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Apple when they present a product actually has...wait for it...a RELEASE DATE and ...wait for it... a PRICING MODEL.

And how many times have we heard about something being released 'next year' and it never actually occurs?

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
They have a release date, they have a developer price.

You obviously say that it is vaporware because you're obviously are bashing anything that is not Apple's.

Have a nice day.

----------

Quote:
He's clueless dude...don't even bother.
Clueless my ass
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:49 PM   #138
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They have a release date, they have a developer price.
Oh..they have a release date huh? Can you please SHOW US that SPECIFIC release date. Oh you can't.

Keep making stuff up...it makes you continue to look clueless

When asked about a potential release, Brin states that he has “some hopes to maybe get it out sometime next year,” although he did caution “that’s still a little bit of a hope.”

Quote:
You obviously say that it is vaporware because you're obviously are bashing anything that is not Apple's.
Hmmm...lets check some other tech sites and their definition of Project Glass and if it's vaporware.

Oh look Techcrunch..

Yes, Project Glass is nothing but vaporware right now....

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/05/google-eye/

Oh look Treehugger

Google Glasses: Vaporware, Next Big Thing, Helpful Green Gadget, or Accident Waiting to Happen?

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/go...ng-happen.html

Oh look Wired

Nonetheless, if Google is unable to deliver on most of what the video shows, all the research in the world won’t stop consumers uttering the worst word in the technology world: vaporware.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...rious-hurdles/

It IS vaporware. A DEVELOPER product is not a CONSUMER product. Until that device is sold as an end product, whether it's to consumers or industries/businesses, it is exactly vaporware. Again, why don't you READ the definition and stop making yourself look so clueless.

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware#Hardware

Tell me again when Project Glass is being released...oh *sometime* possibly in 2013...but again, that's according to your boyz...a bit of a stretch. Project Glass is nothing more then a grad school project that will never materialize.

----------

Quote:
Clueless my ass
Yes...yes you are. You really need to stop commenting because you are just making yourself look more clueless by the minute by not even understanding the simple definition of VAPORWARE.

Last edited by Ryth; Jul 25, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:08 PM   #139
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes...yes you are. You really need to stop commenting because you are just making yourself look more clueless by the minute by not even understanding the simple definition of VAPORWARE.
If you like to believe that, well, be happy.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:17 PM   #140
Stoobs
macrumors member

Ignoring all the vaporware sillyness above..

Could the earnings "miss" be because Apple has invested a massive amount in an as yet unannounced product (big component pre-buys etc), or was that covered in the earnings call? (Haven't got around to reading the transcript yet..)

It can't all be down to a slow-down in iPhone sales can it?
Stoobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:28 PM   #141
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If you like to believe that, well, be happy.
Still waiting for you to produce that magical release date you keep talking about.

Vapor
Ware

And I guess all those other tech sites are wrong on the definition of vaporware also huh?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:36 PM   #142
CoreyLahey
Banned

Oppenheimer seems to think people are stupid. "we try to keep everything secret, but we can't stop speculation".... and then he celebrates himself as the true hero of free ****ing speech. The main reasons for them to keep everything secret are a ) creating speculations and hype b ) selling older products. A distant c ) would be "worries about the competition". Does he have a background in politics? There is absolutely no practical benefit to consumers with Apple's secrecy, but tons of disadvantages (do I buy now, should I buy something else, can I/my clients/business/my dog/cat/grandmother wait until they decide to bless us with the privilege to shove our money up their behinds, will it have USB 2000 and a retinal scanner, blah, blah blah) - I never understood why so many people hate Apple, but I'm starting to get an idea. I love my iPhone and iPad, great devices, and I will at some point switch from PC to an iMac (possibly the 2016 model which is going to resemble the Virtual Boy), but not before Oppenheimer publicly apologizes to me. Preferably in writing and verbally. Also, if you actually read, please report to the **** off department.
CoreyLahey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:05 PM   #143
alfistas
Banned

I think the slow down in growth was due to the bad economy. Everyone knows that many European states are in a bad shape and the people there are cutting down on their expenses.

This can go two ways: Either the European economy is going to improve soon and things are going to go back to normal OR Apple will have to lower their profit margins in those regions in order to boost sales.

I'm still not sure how apple is going to sell any significant numbers of rMBPs in Europe at the current asking price... I live in the UK and I honestly don't know anyone who could justify that kind of purchase under the current economic climate.
alfistas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:05 PM   #144
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68010

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
I think by October 2012, Apple should have this in the product line, based on what I think based on the conference call:

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro -- new models already out.
iMac -- new model coming out in September-October time frame with new "Ivy Bridge" series Intel CPU's in 21", 24" and 27" display sizes.
Mac Pro -- one last model with "Ivy Bridge" series Intel Xeon CPU's, USB 3.0 ports and as much as two Thunderbolt ports.
iPad -- 9.7" model with Retina Display already out since March. New 7.85" model at lower cost comes out in September.
iPhone -- new model with 4" touchscreen, 3GPP LTE, and possible NFC mobile payments arrives in September.
iPod touch -- new model with 4" touchscreen (e.g., a slightly less advanced version of the new iPhone's touchscreen) replaces the current model with 16, 32 and 64 GB flash memory storage.
iPod nano -- new model with touchscreen display that has a shape akin to 2G to 5G nanos, with 8 and 16 GB flash memory storage.
iPod shuffle -- no changes.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:36 AM   #145
MarkCollette
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
The theory is that Apple is moving towards a convergence of hardware (and software to a degree) platforms so that ideally, a consumer would own a large screen (iTV), medium screen (iPad) and a small screen (iPhone). All would provide access to the same content, thus allowing you to consume or utilize the content anywhere you were with obvious tradeoffs of portability vs screen size. Most techies blow this off because they think it's ridiculous that they would get rid of Mac. I don't think Apple necessarily plans to get rid of the Mac, just that it would be marginalized. Most tech geeks just don't realize how much in the minority we are.

I think Steve probably realized awhile back that most people don't use the applications that us tech geeks "need" a computer for - website programming, photoshop, design work, etc. iOS is designed to optimize content consumption, rather than creation. Content creation is only utilized by a small percentage of the population. Thus, as more and more people get an iPad, they'll completely forego getting a PC or Mac.
I agree, for consumers at home, a tablet is the future, and not the home computer. But, that doesn't address the white collar worker / entrepreneur, who will always require a real computer for their job and income. This is so much larger than just tech people, it's accountants, lawyers, authors, financial analysts, etc. Everyone who primarily spends their day using Office, inputting data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slivortal View Post
It's actually more disappointing than exciting. The reason that all the changes are coming from the consumer end is because professional markets are no longer coming up with good ideas.

But really, this is what I see happening in the future. Look at the iOSification of OSX. Look at Apple's market - 77% iOS, 14% OSX. Look at the slippery slope that's starting to occur as Apple keeps adding features like Gatekeeper, that regard anything not directly from Apple as "dangerous."

Apple is starting to perfect their walled garden - and I, for one, am not pleased with this perfection...
Computers have been good enough for the vast majority of professional uses for 5-10 years now. The major form factor shift from desktops to laptops was the only real gain. The only noticeable gains remaining, that give users new capabilities, already started a while ago and involve day long or multi-day battery life, ubiquitous retina resolution all the way up to 30" displays, improved wireless networking (4G built-in). Most everything else will be incremental hardware improvements and software improvements.

Consumer devices have much more room for innovations, since they're used in more places and in more ways than the typical professional at a desk. I wouldn't be depressed by all this, when technology reaches a good enough point, it lets us focus on other issues.

Computer security is still not where it needs to be, since breaches are still rampant, but I agree that centralisation of control is worrying. With man in the middle attacks, too much centralisation is broken, but no one computer can guard against what it's not been already instructed to protect itself from, so some centralisation is necessary to accomplish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post
Where as I have gone the other way. I used to use my ipad constantly, but now using it less and less, because of the restrictions around file system, lack of multiple windowed environments.
Something new is fun to explore, but at the end of the day, they don't cut it for getting real work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
A couple of better screens on two devices is something we should be happy about? One stagnant os (iOS) and one actually going backwards in speed and ease of use(os x)? A phone redesigned in two years to nothing new but a working antenna and Siri ( and boy does that work well..). iMacs with the same form factor, ergonomics, and that sordid glass glare layer since 2006? Mac pro with no usb3 in 2012?
That must take a special kind of concentration, to ignore all of the actual improvements, while only focusing on the most superficial of developments. Would you prefer new devices where all of the internals remain the same and the containers are radically different?

You know that every component in a device gains some small percent of greater capability and/or lower cost each year, that's really not all that impressive. Only after a couple years does the aggregate improvement become noticeable or lead to actual new real world capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
Is Mountain Lion being released now because it is mature and feature-rich? No, it's because it's been a year and they want to release a new OS. I think the timeframe determined what is in the OS, and not the other way around like it used to be.
Good! As a software developer, I'd say that many many projects have been migrating for quite some time now to a tighter fixed iteration cycle, since it does improve quality and timeliness of feature release. Yes, it's less exciting, but everyone involved benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
It will be a hobby until it will be replaced with the real Apple TV, which will be a real television. A screen, with everything. Going to cost you $2000-3000 instead of $99. Sounds good? I bet it sounds good in Apple's ears. Apple always has a plan that smells... profit.
From Apple's past actions, I agree. But possibly the installed base of existing TVs is so great that they'll need to follow a dual strategy of their own TVs as well as a set top box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
I always thought the future was wearable computing, instead of displays where you have the trade-off of greater ability to see information with reduced portability. But at the same time, there remains a small stigma against glasses, and 3D movies have shown us the fatigue that comes from using these visual tricks. And the idea of a display for just one eye, ala Google Glass, worries me greatly for vision problems after prolonged use. On the other hand, if they can cover both eyes and adapt the focal point to force greater eye movement and focusing range than on a standard computer, then this might be even better for eyesight than what we currently have. Devil's in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
all the google fans say how cool google glass is but no one can seem to figure out why its cool or any practical use for it in everyday life. for iphone and ipad there is a practical use that can save you money in a lot of cases.

WTF does google glass do except present data to you that in a lot of cases you don't really need unless you're a retard who needs navigation in normal life
Walking around on the street it seems a tad unnecessary for me, but I could see someone who needs personal assistance being helped by it. As a replacement for having several 30" displays on my desktop, that would be killer.
MarkCollette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:45 AM   #146
SteveW928
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
It will be a hobby until it will be replaced with the real Apple TV, which will be a real television. A screen, with everything. Going to cost you $2000-3000 instead of $99. Sounds good? I bet it sounds good in Apple's ears. Apple always has a plan that smells... profit.
I'm still not seeing why Apple would make an actual TV type display. That just doesn't make sense.

They don't make much profit if nobody buys them, no matter what the margin.
SteveW928 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:47 AM   #147
Labbe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW928 View Post
I'm still not seeing why Apple would make an actual TV type display. That just doesn't make sense.

They don't make much profit if nobody buys them, no matter what the margin.
Why wouldn't people buy them? Can you elaborate?
Labbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:59 AM   #148
MarkCollette
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW928 View Post
An add-on box would still require people to use the regular TV's complicated remote control and device specific menus, as well as deal with the cabling to the attached Apple box. Not exactly seamless simplicity. Remember, we live in an era of DVD/Bluray/VCRs not showing the time anymore since most people can't even figure that out.
MarkCollette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:15 AM   #149
thleeal
macrumors regular

Crikey.... How much money do they have?
Do something redickulously advanced please.
Like buy a city... Holographic computers.... Quantum whatever there called. Heck buy a national park... Or a small nation. I absolutely love my apple products not because of some stupid fanboy ism. But because they make my life easier and Sexer.

Don't just show us big piles of money in a currency that is dwindling.......
thleeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:57 AM   #150
mccldwll
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCollette View Post
An add-on box would still require people to use the regular TV's complicated remote control and device specific menus, as well as deal with the cabling to the attached Apple box. Not exactly seamless simplicity. Remember, we live in an era of DVD/Bluray/VCRs not showing the time anymore since most people can't even figure that out.
Why assume that? As far as cabling, why would anything more than an hdmi cable (aaplTV) be necessary? Further, with many new sets having wifi capability, a cable might not be needed at all. Aapl's strength has always been to simplify the complicated. I see no reason why a set top box with a touch screen remote (iPhone/iPad/7.85" remote) couldn't theoretically handle all necessary device specific menus. Aapl doesn't need to make a panel to crack the problem.
mccldwll is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion