Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So I was watching some Jeopardy, and this commercial comes on...

It starts out with a jogger that starts his early morning (I'm assuming) run and he has a phone is in hand, and earbuds in. I thought to myself, hmm is this an Apple commercial? But then thought, well I dont think it would be a 4S commercial because they have been out for a while. And then I hear a "Siri-like" voice that speaks to the jogger, plays him music, reads to him. And immediately I think "this is Samsung", and surely enough they show the phone in his hands from his POV, and it's the Galaxy S3.

Now, I'm sorry, I am not an Android hater, nor an Apple worshipper...

But if that isn't near deliberate copying, then I don't know what is.

I'm not even saying the S3 is trying to be the iPhone, but that type of marketing, the way the commercial flowed, the voice in the commercial at the end, it was soooo Apple. It felt like an old 4S commercial of some sort.

Again, I am not trying to start a fight... but has anyone seen this commercial and know what I'm talking about? The Android users always come over here and claim that Samsung doesnt try to copy whatsoever, but that commercial speaks otherwise.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
So I was watching some Jeopardy, and this commercial comes on...

It starts out with a jogger that starts his early morning (I'm assuming) run and he has a phone is in hand, and earbuds in. I thought to myself, hmm is this an Apple commercial? But then thought, well I dont think it would be a 4S commercial because they have been out for a while. And then I hear a "Siri-like" voice that speaks to the jogger, plays him music, reads to him. And immediately I think "this is Samsung", and surely enough they show the phone in his hands from his POV, and it's the Galaxy S3.

Now, I'm sorry, I am not an Android hater, nor an Apple worshipper...

But if that isn't near deliberate copying, then I don't know what is.

I'm not even saying the S3 is trying to be the iPhone, but that type of marketing, the way the commercial flowed, the voice in the commercial at the end, it was soooo Apple. It felt like an old 4S commercial of some sort.

Again, I am not trying to start a fight... but has anyone seen this commercial and know what I'm talking about? The Android users always come over here and claim that Samsung doesnt try to copy whatsoever, but that commercial speaks otherwise.

Classic Samsung. The ad you were talking about was shown at the unveiling of the 4S

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
So what?

I neither watch, nor compare commercials. It's a complete waste of time.

If you're that bothered, donate to Apples warchest.

They need the money :eek:

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So what?

I neither watch, nor compare commercials. It's a complete waste of time.

If you're that bothered, donate to Apples warchest.

They need the money :eek:

Well you're obviously bothered that I recognized that Samsung is deliberately copying off Apple in an abnormally obvious way, I mean "so what"??..you're missing the point. I'm sick of people claiming they aren't copying Apple.

And I'm really not ticked about it, again I'm not a fanboy. My iPhone is my only Apple product. And honestly it's good that others copy Apple and the iPhone, it solidifies the fact that the iPhone is top notch.

And you said you don't watch commercials? What do you have commercial-less tv?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Well you're obviously bothered that I recognized that Samsung is deliberately copying off Apple in an abnormally obvious way, I mean "so what"??..you're missing the point. I'm sick of people claiming they aren't copying Apple.

And I'm really not ticked about it, again I'm not a fanboy. My iPhone is my only Apple product. And honestly it's good that others copy Apple and the iPhone, it solidifies the fact that the iPhone is top notch.

And you said you don't watch commercials? What do you have commercial-less tv?

It's called an iPad. It's the perfect way to ignore commercials.

Try it, you may like it, or not. :eek:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I didn't realize Apple had a patent to make commercials that way. ::sarcasm::

Maybe Coca-Cola should sue Pepsi. Maybe McDonald's should sue Burger King. Maybe Ford should sue all cars with steering wheels. Maybe Michael Jordan should have patent his moves and sue Kobe Bryant for aping it. Maybe NBC and ABC should sue each other for having similar programs.

Apple and Samsung have brand rivalry. Apple is better at software and Samsung is better at hardware the way Sony was in their prime. Of course they try to appeal to the same markets. Of course you will see similarities. You can't assume Apple comes up with all the cool ideas and deserves the right to do them because you assume they did it all first.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't realize Apple had a patent to make commercials that way. ::sarcasm::

Maybe Coca-Cola should sue Pepsi. Maybe McDonald's should sue Burger King. Maybe Ford should sue all cars with steering wheels. Maybe Michael Jordan should have patent his moves and sue Kobe Bryant for aping it. Maybe NBC and ABC should sue each other for having similar programs.

Apple and Samsung have brand rivalry. Apple is better at software and Samsung is better at hardware the way Sony was in their prime. Of course they try to appeal to the same markets. Of course you will see similarities. You can't assume Apple comes up with all the cool ideas and deserves the right to do them because you assume they did it all first.
Umm your comparisons of Coke vs Pepsi and McDonald's vs Burger King are horrible and arent even relevant to what im discussing.

This commercial was literally exactly as Apple commercials are, almost a carbon copy. I've never seen Coke have a commercial that reminded me of a Pepsi commercial or vice versa.

The whole point is, they are trying to become the new iPhone and while that's an admirable thing to strive for, it will never happen. Personally I think Android vs Apple is like apples and oranges. They are a completely different experience.

I understand competition especially at this large a scale. But deliberate copying is not only a poor business decision, but it shows inferiority.

If Android wants to be better than Apple, they'd better shy away from copying them so much. Because they seem confused.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Samsung is a **** eating copy cat.

For once they should try to make something original. Oh way they have and it all sucks.

Hmmm, just thinking about how 'original' Apple is and then I remembered...

Apple rips off BBM for iMessage
Apple rips off Android and copies the split keyboard, notification center, notification banners, opening apps from the lock screen, and ota os updates.
Apple will be ripping off HP with inductive charging, but that is just a prediction.

Yep, Apple sure is original. They don't copy anyone, do they? That reality distortion bubble getting claustrophobic yet?

----------

I understand competition especially at this large a scale. But deliberate copying is not only a poor business decision, but it shows inferiority.

If Android wants to be better than Apple, they'd better shy away from copying them so much. Because they seem confused.

Please see my post above.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm, just thinking about how 'original' Apple is and then I remembered...

Apple rips off BBM for iMessage
Apple rips off Android and copies the split keyboard, notification center, notification banners, opening apps from the lock screen, and ota os updates.
Apple will be ripping off HP with inductive charging, but that is just a prediction.

Yep, Apple sure is original. They don't copy anyone, do they? That reality distortion bubble getting claustrophobic yet?

----------

Please see my post above.

They both copy off each others software sure, but to also copy there marketing, and to the degrees that they did, is cheesy. You can argue with me and defend Samsing til you are blue in the face..it's still cheesy.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
They both copy off each others software sure, but to also copy there marketing, and to the degrees that they did, is cheesy. You can argue with me and defend Samsing til you are blue in the face..it's still cheesy.

I didn't realize there were different degrees of copying? Is it similar to referring to theft as borrowing another persons property?

I don't care about the commercial or Apple vs Samsung. I just can't stand these hypocritical statements about how everyone copies Apple, yet fail to realize or want to ignore the vast amount of copying Apple does.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't realize there were different degrees of copying? Is it similar to referring to theft as borrowing another persons property?

I don't care about the commercial or Apple vs Samsung. I just can't stand these hypocritical statements about how everyone copies Apple, yet fail to realize or want to ignore the vast amount of copying Apple does.
Right, we've established that company's copy each other but there's a point where copying becomes a company that just wants to be another company. Some of the new android phones even resemble the iPhone. Sorry, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I don't think Apple is AS guilty of this. That's
if you truly examine their history, and take the blindfold off.

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Right, we've established that company's copy each other but there's a point where copying becomes a company that just wants to be another company. Some of the new android phones even resemble the iPhone. Sorry, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

I don't think Apple is AS guilty of this. That's
if you truly examine their history, and take the blindfold off.

Apple has been a truly innovative company under Jobs leadership. He was instrumental in bringing all of us to where we are now technologically. But even Jon Ivey admitted that Jobs would steal his ideas for his own. And we know Apple copies it's competitors.

You are correct that there are levels of imitation. Companies like Microsoft and Samsung are emulating a successful company. Nothing wrong with this. Microsoft mimics the look of the Apple store and even opens Microsoft stores right next to Apple stores on purpose. Samsung copies the flow of how Apple does their commercials, because they are successful. Companies do this all the time. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a bad thing.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
I heard Apple tried to submit a patent on the original commercial but they got denied. Now on Apple's next commercial they need to tell the world they did not copy Samsung.

(Few might get this) :thumbup:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
This explains it:

samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpeg

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This explains it:

Thank you! Perfect diagram.

Samsung phones are definitely trying to look like iPhones, the curved edges and metal band around, they are also starting to have physical home buttons on the bottom center, offering white models, etc. Hmm.

Again we all know companies copy each other. It's the nature of competition. But if you can sit there and say that they arent making phones that are near deliberately trying to look like the iPhone then you are lying to yourself.

What I hate the most about all this, IS WHEN PEOPLE CAN'T ADMIT that they are copying to an extreme.

But I'll say it again and again. Keep copying, you're making Apple blush.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
This explains it:

/url]
I don't think anyone doubts that Apple's first iPhone was a paradigm shift in the smartphone world. Capacitive screen tech was considered to expensive and most companies wouldn't take a chance trying to sell a phone for $600! Apple took that chance and it paid off, and the world realized the tech was good and people would buy expensive phones without physical keyboards. Apple had the foresight.

Of course, we also saw the same design copying of the Blackberry type phone, and before that the Motorola Razor v3 flip phone and before that the Nokia mini-display candy bar phone... if Apple had been around in the field back then, who would they have copied? By the way, development of the LG Prada and Samsung F700 were both taking place while the iPhone was being developed. All three phones were shown to the public within a 4 month span from late 06 to early 07. It would be impossible for any of these companies to reproduce each others products in under a month and all three had similar design details. Apple's was just the better phone by far!

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I don't think anyone doubts that Apple's first iPhone was a paradigm shift in the smartphone world. Capacitive screen tech was considered to expensive and most companies wouldn't take a chance trying to sell a phone for $600! Apple took that chance and it paid off, and the world realized the tech was good and people would buy expensive phones without physical keyboards. Apple had the foresight.

Apple wasn't the first (or even close to being first) to have $600 phones. My Qtek 9100 that I had 3 years before the iPhone costed $600 and it had more features than the iPhone did at launch, even though the phone was already 3 years old. What apple did was make some improvements to the existing smartphone, but what made it a success was they marketed it to the average consumer. Prior to that, those types of devices were aimed at business customers primarily. I remember when I got my first smartphone, I saw how useful it was and how much could be done with it, and I would wonder why they didn't market them to the average consumer. I used to say whoever markets these to the average joe, is going to make a killing because they can be sold as entertainment devices and not just a business device. Apple did just that and made a killing because of it.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Apple wasn't the first (or even close to being first) to have $600 phones. My Qtek 9100 that I had 3 years before the iPhone costed $600 and it had more features than the iPhone did at launch, even though the phone was already 3 years old. What apple did was make some improvements to the existing smartphone, but what made it a success was they marketed it to the average consumer. Prior to that, those types of devices were aimed at business customers primarily. I remember when I got my first smartphone, I saw how useful it was and how much could be done with it, and I would wonder why they didn't market them to the average consumer. I used to say whoever markets these to the average joe, is going to make a killing because they can be sold as entertainment devices and not just a business device. Apple did just that and made a killing because of it.

I figured it was a given that we are always discussing consumer phones on this forum and not business specific phones?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It would be impossible for any of these companies to reproduce each others products in under a month and all three had similar design details. Apple's was just the better phone by far!

Really...

Remember when Samsung showed their tablet, then Apple showed the iPad2, Samsung realized their tablet was ass, so they redesigned it within a couple of months to look just like the iPad...

Yeah, that happened.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Thank you! Perfect diagram.

For fairness, that diagram left out this 2006 Samsung all-touch phone:

June06_Samsung_SGH-Z610.png
Samsung phones are definitely trying to look like iPhones, the curved edges and metal band around, they are also starting to have physical home buttons on the bottom center, offering white models, etc. Hmm.

I think they did a lot of that at first, but have evolved to their own look now. Samsungs also have larger screens and are thinner and lighter.

Besides, if we're talking about curved rectangles, edge, metal bands, colors... then we should bring up this 2005 Windows CE phone, which the iPhone 4 resembles:

2005_pidion_ip4.png

Or this 2006 fan concept:

iphone_concept1.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.