Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeefang90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
ScreenShot2012-07-25at44119PM.png

What happened to my Macbook Pro early 2011 battery life ?
I never use my battery regularly and most of the time my macbook pro is plugged. 80+ cycles and my battery health already 77%. It's only 16 months. What the problem occuring there? Anyone can suggest me? My location is in UK. Izzit possible for me to bring my MBP to the nearest Apple Store to request the Apple Geniuses to solve the problem for me or replace me a healthy battery. ( I do not have Apple warranty)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

What happened to my Macbook Pro early 2011 battery life ?
I never use my battery regularly and most of the time my macbook pro is plugged. 80+ cycles and my battery health already 77%. It's only 16 months. What the problem occuring there? Anyone can suggest me? My location is in UK. Izzit possible for me to bring my MBP to the nearest Apple Store to request the Apple Geniuses to solve the problem for me or replace me a healthy battery. ( I do not have Apple warranty)
Take it to Apple. While they're not obligated to replace it free, since your warranty is expired, they frequently bend the rules to accommodate customers. Just ask nicely.

PeopleTheseDays

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
You may have answered your own problem (IF there is no inherent defective problem with your battery).

You said you NEVER use the battery regularly, and its always PLUGGED IN. That is NOT good for a battery; this example may be extremely simplified, but it's equivalent to not using your muscles and the fibers atrophy. If you don't use the battery, the ions inside never get any work and just degrade.

yeefang90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
booked an appointment in apple store at 2:30pm later. They said if the situation is supportive, I am eligible to claim for a new battery. Wish me goodluck

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Try clicking on the battery icon with option key held down. It will tell you the battery condition. I've already had my early 2011 15" battery replaced. From memory it was about 40% with about 200 cycles. It wasn't a faulty battery- I killed it by probably leaving it sitting around with the battery flat, but as it had a week of warranty remaining they replaced it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6443

The link is for 10.6. Seems the same in 10.7.

yeefang90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Just back from Apple Store. They dont willing to replace me a new battery. They confirmed that my battery error and offer me a replacement for 82.50 pounds. izzit a good deals? or should i do calibration or replace the battery next time when the health go lower?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just back from Apple Store. They dont willing to replace me a new battery. They confirmed that my battery error and offer me a replacement for 82.50 pounds. izzit a good deals? or should i do calibration or replace the battery next time when the health go lower?
Calibration does not affect your battery life. It only makes your readings more accurate. If you want greater battery life, I would get the battery replaced. If you can live with the battery life you have, you can still use the one you have, even if it's below 80% health.

Scalion

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
I use 3d program and do render with my macbook pro 2011.

My laptop is plugged 95% of the time.

My battery health is around 50%.

But you know what, i don't realy care, since is always plugged.

BUT

I think this material (battery) are .. ****... I don't care the reason why battery is not healty anymore, Make it work that it. No restriction, free to use, on the fly, good to go... ... ...

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Well, not sure how you guys keep your batteries but my charger is hardly every green and my MBP only stays flat for a few hours tops. Now I'm at 485 cycles, on my 2011, and still at 90%.

Coconut%20Battery.tiff

To the OP, if you're up for it replacing the battery is pretty simple on these laptops, never done it myself though. But it looks like the battery can be removed without touching anything else.

PeopleTheseDays

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
Their posted stats show otherwise. They've used an average of over 5 cycles a month, so clearly the battery has had sufficient exercise.

I don't think 5 cycles a month is not a lot at all, that's almost not using it. Obviously I was quoting his post where he states "never use my battery", and the OP and I both consider his use as metaphorically similar to not using it at all; that is what we're talking about here, not nit picking on semantics.

Look at arashb's usage. Mine is around 81 charges over 3 months and it's still 99% compared to the OP's.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
I have 13 cycles, my battery health is at 100% and I've had my MBP since March 2011.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the rate of battery deterioration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.