Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthropogenesis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Paraguay
Sorry if this is covered in another thread but I couldn't figure out how to word my search.

I frequently have the yellow mouseover text freeze on my screen. If I mouseover something and it pops up, it stays. This happens in different applications, but typically those that aren't running fullscreen.

Is there some sort of terminal command that anyone knows of that can disable the text? I never need it, and it usually is from unnecessary stuff like mousing over a link in iChat, which just shows the link text again.

It also seems to happen a lot in dashboard.

Heisler98

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
Hello,
The yellow mouseover text are tooltips, and those tooltips are sometimes hard-coded into programs, making this next little command only work in some, not others.

Code:
defaults write -g NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 60000

Put this piece of code into Terminal and it should delay the tooltips for 60000 milliseconds, or 60 seconds. You can decrease or increase the time as appropriate--if you leave your mouse on something over night, the tooltip will obviously be there in the morning.

The terminal command only works in some apps, like I said. For instance, it works in Safari, but iTunes you might have to be a little careful on where you put your cursor. I'm not sure about how it works in dashboard or iChat. try it out and see.

Best of luck,
H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.