Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:16 AM   #101
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casiotone View Post
Safari is definitely really snappier on my old 2007 Mac mini.

One other thing, is it me or Youtube now automatically switches to its new HTML5 player with Safari 6?

That's nice and all for HTML5 and open standards, but unfortunately the HTML5 player is simply unusable fullscreen on this Mac (less than 1 fps), even playing a 360p video. The Flash version can play 720p video without a hitch.

So I had to go to the Youtube HTML5 page and "leave the beta" to get the Flash player back.

Anyone can verify that this Youtube switch to HMTL5 is happening on Safari 6?
It happens with Safari 5 on my MBP with Snow Leopard. And I KEEP having to change it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PgherinLev View Post
Tried to revert back to Safari 5 because I don't care for the Unibar and fat tabs - no can do. Safari cannot be removed or modified because it is required by OS X (or something to that effect).
But does Safari 5 work? I guess you could also use Terminal to delete Safari 6.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:53 AM   #102
valexa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaluzzi View Post

1. Safari->Develop->Inspector (command-alt-i)
2. Stopwatch icon in top left corner
3. Network requests
Network requests does not show the same data as the regretted "activity" window, it only shows request until the page finished loading.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:00 AM   #103
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by valexa View Post
Network requests does not show the same data as the regretted "activity" window, it only shows request until the page finished loading.
Click the "record" button - the grey circle to the right of "Timelines". That will persist network requests as long as you'd like them.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:45 AM   #104
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky736 View Post
Any word on 10.6 support? I hope so.
I believe you'll find that Snow Leopard today will probably be in just about the same position Leopard occupied last year.

They'll keep on issuing new versions of iTunes for a while, and they may put out the odd patch for an extremely high profile security exploit. Otherwise, you'll probably find that Apple's support for 10.6 will dry up extremely quickly.
goosnarrggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:23 AM   #105
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

Finally!

Coming from a Windows background, being to be able to click in the address bar and the whole address is selected (so you can easily type and replace) is something I waited for.
Before, for some reason, Safari would put the cursor where you clicked.
No other browser had this behavior.

That is the way I prefer to browse, click in the address bar and start typing.
I hope they update the iOs version to do the same.

My question...

Do you need to set up cloud tabs someway?

I click on it on my MacBook Pro and it doesn't show (or try) the tabs that are open on my iPad.
Zimmy68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:42 AM   #106
michaelant
macrumors newbie

I'm running Safari 6 on Lion, and it's much faster.

But in my Top Sites, they no longer update with a star in the corner once a site has updated info on it. Anyone else missing the stars since upgrading to Safari 6 on Lion?
michaelant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:49 AM   #107
sebastiannz
macrumors newbie

Zimmy: the ipad and iphone icloud tab function won't work until iOS 6. At the moment it only works with other macs with ML.

I really like the new Safari. It is *WAY* faster. I finally don't miss Chrome. And this is on a late 2010 13" MBP, not exactly a speedster these days. Even the omnibar thing works nice and smoothly.

And it finally has searchable field thing that Chrome has had for millions of years. I'm surprised this didn't come sooner but better late then never.
sebastiannz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:46 PM   #108
fiveainone
macrumors 6502a

good thing Google didn't patent the smart search field eh?
fiveainone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:45 PM   #109
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Holy crap, these GIANT tabs are 100% terrible. Wtf, Apple? I want the regular tabs back. They were much easier to manage that way.
We all have wants. I want Apple to give me the option to put the tabs back on top like in the Safari 4 beta.
Terrin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:48 PM   #110
Hangover
macrumors newbie

windows version please
Hangover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #111
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveainone View Post
good thing Google didn't patent the smart search field eh?
They may not have been first. OmniWeb had a omnibar quite a long time ago.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:00 PM   #112
klmaj
macrumors member

I tried this Safari nonsense many years ago and it was laughable so I would always remove it from the dock every time I got a new mac.

By sheer chance yesterday I thought okay I'm going to download Google Chrome I have to at least put up with a few moments of it to do so. I was just in awe, its simply fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a browser and it works blisteringly fast for me on my new 2012 macbook pro with Intel 520 120 Gb SSD.

I have not bothered with Google Chrome. People I ditched Google Chrome. This is a major turning point in my online life as the browser is the most important thing for me on a machine.

I've done side by side image and speed tests with Google Chrome and Safari trumps Chrome every time.

I urge the whole mac fraternity to give Safari a chance as I did. It works so well on the new mountain lion with decent hardware!
klmaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:34 PM   #113
^^BIGMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmaj View Post
I tried this Safari nonsense many years ago and it was laughable so I would always remove it from the dock every time I got a new mac.

By sheer chance yesterday I thought okay I'm going to download Google Chrome I have to at least put up with a few moments of it to do so. I was just in awe, its simply fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a browser and it works blisteringly fast for me on my new 2012 macbook pro with Intel 520 120 Gb SSD.

I have not bothered with Google Chrome. People I ditched Google Chrome. This is a major turning point in my online life as the browser is the most important thing for me on a machine.

I've done side by side image and speed tests with Google Chrome and Safari trumps Chrome every time.

I urge the whole mac fraternity to give Safari a chance as I did. It works so well on the new mountain lion with decent hardware!
So you're saying it's "snappier"?
^^BIGMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:21 PM   #114
klmaj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^^BIGMac View Post
So you're saying it's "snappier"?
I think the term snappy is rather vague. If you do a side to side with Google Chrome you will notice that images become choppy as you scroll down a picture intensive page. This is not the case on Safari. Even though I have a non retina display the resolution on safari seems to be more sharper evidently than Chrome. I do have quite a love affair with Chrome and will use it on my mac mini but for my macbook safari rules. For me its the perfect software application running on hardware designed to compliment it.

Is it faster than Chrome? Maybe not, but there are minute fractions of a second in it I'd say either way so I'm not bothered. For me its as fast and silky smooth to operate, pleasing on the eye and pretty damn cool.
klmaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:21 AM   #115
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a

After using it some more, the new developer inspector pane is _awful_. They've fundamentally broken the ability to use the network pane to interrogate requests. No way to see if it's a GET or a POST, awful formatting / hiding of the actual URL, and no consistent way to view the response. I had been using Chrome as my daily driver and Safari as my dev browser, but this update has made Safari impossible to use for dev. Back to Firefox + Firebug / HTTPFox. Bleh.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:31 PM   #116
Mason
macrumors regular

I'd like smaller tabs and my search window back. Is there any way to restore these?
Mason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:26 PM   #117
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I'd like smaller tabs and my search window back. Is there any way to restore these?
Yeah I also dislike the combined search/address bar, like Google Chrome does. I have no idea why people like that - it's just annoying. If I want to search for something, that is not the same as me knowing an address I want to type in. It just makes it annoying to look at the predictive list when both results are combined.
DDustiNN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:59 PM   #118
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

I don't understand why Apple does not post a download link for Safari 6 (lion) on their website. I had to get Safari 6 from some random third party website.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #119
jojo0815
macrumors newbie

Do Not Track

Hi all,

just a stupid question from my side:

Is there any disadvantage in using the new "do not track" option in safari 6?

I wonder why it is not activated by default...?
jojo0815 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:05 PM   #120
blackboxxx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo0815 View Post
Hi all,

just a stupid question from my side:

Is there any disadvantage in using the new "do not track" option in safari 6?

I wonder why it is not activated by default...?
The "disadvantage" (or advantage, depending on your views), assuming the ad companies actually honor the DNT header, is that you might see less relevant ads. It shouldn't affect any normal functionality.

It's not on by default because it's supposed to be an expression of user's preference to opt out of tracking. Microsoft tried to make it active by default in IE10, and then had to back track less than a week later because the ad companies were terrified that it would destroy their business.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:35 PM   #121
vohdoun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelant View Post
I'm running Safari 6 on Lion, and it's much faster.
It's even more faster on Mountain Lion.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:39 PM   #122
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
Quote:
Originally Posted by vohdoun View Post
It's even more faster on Mountain Lion.
More better! More snappier!
Lucky736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:23 PM   #123
MattAtlanta
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Yeah I also dislike the combined search/address bar, like Google Chrome does. I have no idea why people like that - it's just annoying. If I want to search for something, that is not the same as me knowing an address I want to type in. It just makes it annoying to look at the predictive list when both results are combined.
I have to concur.. it sucks that the "smart bar" or whatever is all inclusive. Definitely not liking the new layout.
MattAtlanta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:16 AM   #124
vohdoun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAtlanta View Post
I have to concur.. it sucks that the "smart bar" or whatever is all inclusive. Definitely not liking the new layout.
It was cluttered though. You get used to it. I had always wanted this layout on Safari, as I always had gotten rid of the search bar in other browsers.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:20 AM   #125
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAtlanta View Post
I'm getting used to it, although I don't see the need for everyone to copy Chrome. At least they didn't also put the tabs on top which looks stupid.
steve-p is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion