Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Removes Mentions of Safari for Windows, But Version 5.1.7 Still Available For Now [Updated]

With today's release of Safari 6, there has been some confusion over the fate of Safari for Windows. Apple's Safari download page that previously allowed users to download versions for Mac or Windows now redirects to the main Safari page highlighting Safari 6 for Mac, with no mention of Safari for Windows anywhere in Apple's revamped Safari feature pages.

But while Safari for Windows has not been upgraded to version 6 and thus has not received the many new features included for Mac in that release, Apple does appear to be planning to continue quietly offering Safari for Windows. Listings for Safari updates in Apple's support download pages had previously summarized all available Mac and Windows version and provided a link to the general download page, but Apple has now placed Safari for Windows on a dedicated page linking directly to the download.

Safari for Windows remains at version 5.1.7 initially released alongside OS X 10.7.4 in early May. The software is clearly not a high priority for Apple, as evidenced by the removal of all mentions of the Windows option from the main Safari product pages, but the company is keeping the most recent version available for download. It is unclear, however, whether Apple has plans to bring additional feature updates to the browser.

Update: Apple has pulled the standalone Safari 5.1.7 for Windows download page, redirecting visitors to the previous version that links to the now-discontinued general Safari download page. As a result, it appears that Safari for Windows is now not directly linked anywhere in Apple's official download pages.

Article Link: Apple's Removes Mentions of Safari for Windows, But Version 5.1.7 Still Available For Now [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Summersify
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Summersify
I guess Safari 6 was just too snappy for Windows machines to run...
Summersify is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Probably because all the Windows Safari users switched to Chrome
Hastings101 is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Consultant
macrumors G5

I like Safari for Windows. Works great in bootcamp.

Hopefully it will be updated.
Consultant is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:52 AM   #5
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I like Safari for Windows. Works great in bootcamp.

Hopefully it will be updated.
I like it too. For some reason though it keeps crashing and windows shuts it down. I've even disabled all extensions.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 AM   #6
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 AM   #7
aross99
macrumors 68000

I have been using it at work for some time - I like the consistency when using Windows...

Hope it continues to be updated...
aross99 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:57 AM   #8
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

I can see why it wouldn't be a priority for Apple. Would be somewhat sad to see it go however.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:59 AM   #9
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.
There's a Windows HIG?
astrorider is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Apple fails in some of its own Mac OS X apps for HIGs. Look at Calendar, Address Book & App Store. Calendar & Address have totally custom GUIs, while the stoplight buttons in App Store aren't in the same place as other apps.
guzhogi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 PM   #11
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
This is what I use at work!
voyagerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 PM   #12
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
There's a Windows HIG?
Why yes..... Yes there is!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../aa511258.aspx
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:03 PM   #13
NIKKG
macrumors member

Chrome is where the action is these days...
NIKKG is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:04 PM   #14
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
That's funny...try opening the PDF in OS X Preview and see what you get

Last edited by astrorider; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
astrorider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:10 PM   #15
bartszyszka
macrumors member

Maybe they don't want people to download the old version until the new one is ready? Their Safari page is going to get a lot of traffic today?
bartszyszka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 PM   #16
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

I would guess Apple released Safari for Windows in order to spur on adoption of advanced web technologies, Mozilla was moving too slowly with only IE as competition. With Chrome continuing to grab market share and WebKit browsers being utterly dominant in mobile it’s a case of “job done”.

Mozilla started the fight, WebKit (Safari) added fuel to the fire, Chrome basically forced Microsoft to make IE a great browser.
dashiel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Windows 8 has a very high degree of hardware acceleration. I suspect Apple is doing a major revision for W8 of both Safari and iTunes.

Wouldn't it be weird if Apple made an appstore for W8 to incidiously capture more Wintel users by having a constant reminder some things work on both platforms, but more capabilities exist on the other.

Devices are becoming increasingly commodotized, and ecosystems are becoming increasingly important.

I concur with webkit job done. Apple typically does not declare success, they just move on and eat their young by making the next thing. About 1/4-1/3 of those initiatives take in a major way. Lots of scrap on Apple's floor.

Apple could really use a legacy department for successful initiatives.

Rocketman
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:11 PM   #18
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
And let's for a moment even think there wasn't any HIG, just the plain fact that Apple doesn't use the OS's built-in UI widgets is just wrong to begin with. Just like GTK apps look and behave badly on OS X, OS X widgets behave and look badly on Windows.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Simon86
macrumors member

There is NO download link for Safari for Windows

The "dedicated" Safari for Windows download page has been there since May 9th, 2012 - and the download button now redirects to the main page for OS X Safari.

Last edited by Simon86; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Simon86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:12 PM   #20
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

.01% of Windows users are going to be really disappointed about this.
A Hebrew is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:13 PM   #21
smoledman
macrumors 65816

LOL - as if anyone ever used it on Windows. Apple software on Windows(Safari, Quicktime, iTunes) is horrible bloatware.
smoledman is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:15 PM   #22
davebarnes
macrumors member

Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
That's funny...try opening the PDF in OS X Preview and see what you get
Opens fine using Acrobat Pro 8.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:17 PM   #23
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Those of us who use Safari on both Windows and OS X all day every day will be a bit disappointed if they drop it. I would switch back to Firefox.
steve-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

What's next? iTunes?

But seriously, I like Safari for windows. Although I much prefer Safari on the Mac.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:21 PM   #25
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Key View Post
What's next? iTunes?

But seriously, I like Safari for windows. Although I much prefer Safari on the Mac.
That would be a great experiment. Apple not release iTunes for Windows. At this point supposedly they don't even need Windows since you can set up iDevices OTA now.
diamond.g is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion