Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:04 PM   #76
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

I do not like Safari for windows at all. Chrome, Firefox and opera are all much better. I think Chrome has overtaken firefox. That statement does not apply to Safari for OSX.
Toltepeceno is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:10 PM   #77
benji888
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Windows 8 has a very high degree of hardware acceleration. I suspect Apple is doing a major revision for W8 of both Safari and iTunes.

Wouldn't it be weird if Apple made an appstore for W8 to incidiously capture more Wintel users by having a constant reminder some things work on both platforms, but more capabilities exist on the other.
I agree with what "rocketman" said on pg 1, post 17....

I think this is a low priority for Apple as it is free and not a revenue generator...but they might be holding off an update for win 8 and then have an updated safari and iTunes for win? ...they still have bootcamp and sell macs as "dual-boot" machines, as far as I know, so I doubt they will just abandon it completely.

I'm not so sure about an app store for windows though...they don't make other apps for win...but, iTunes generates revenue for apple, so I can't see them dropping a win version of it. ...maybe they're working on an iTunes that is also web browser, eliminating need for win version of safari? ...or, maybe iTunes will be completely changed when Apple comes out with their "smart" HDTV?
benji888 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:13 PM   #78
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

This is why I use Firefox. It's consistent on all platforms (even Linux). I use a theme (Noia) that even gives me a relatively consistent look on all platforms and looks good on all of them. Choosing Safari gives you no option in Linux and spotty performance in Windows. Choosing Internet Explorer 9 gives you no option on the Mac, Linux or even WindowsXP. Sorry, but I use more than one operating system and I want a good browser experience on all of them. And I don't like Chrome (never felt fast and had a horrible GUI, IMO.). Noia on Firefox rules.

This does make me wonder if Apple is planning on dumping iTunes for Windows next. That would be utterly stupid, but then that seems to be Apple's order of the day since Steve died. I was no fan of Steve with his obsessive compulsive behaviors over thin (which continues today sadly even without him) and whiny fits about other companies (paranoia much?), but I really worry about Apple's future. They either need to bring back the Pro markets and power computers or they need to continue to innovate constantly to make up for it. Without Steve, the former is the better option and one I'd prefer since I like power computers, not shiny thin ones that cost way more than they're worth.

You certainly can't say they're going to dump Safari for Windows because they can't afford to develop it. They're richer than Microsoft at this point. They can afford to do EVERYTHING right and offer models to suit everyone, but they don't because they're still paranoid about hiring too many people on the development side (even though the economy could really use it).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:22 PM   #79
mixel
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
If apple kill windows Safari they'll at least have to make iCloud support non safari bookmarks on the windows end? Knowing all my bookmarks are everywhere has been handy in the past, and xmarks has never worked as well for me as MobileMe/iCloud sync. Hmm.
mixel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:30 PM   #80
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Key View Post
What's next? iTunes?

But seriously, I like Safari for windows. Although I much prefer Safari on the Mac.
If they did that I would rage because I still prefer downloading/purchasing on my Windows Desktop over a portable device.
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:31 PM   #81
Ruahrc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
It doesn’t make sense that a product which leverages new OS X features and underlying technologies, should update in lockstep with its companion version for an entirely different OS out of Apple’s control: Mountain Lion certainly calls for a new Safari... but Mountain Lion certainly does NOT call for a new Windows Safari.

If Safari for Windows does live on, I think Apple should stop even trying to number the Windows version the same and let each one leverage the strength of its OS. Let Safari be a better fit for Windows than it has been, and let it advance independently on OS X. (And of course, share things when possible—definitely the rendering engine—but without the pressure of simultaneous release.)

In other words, an approach more like what Microsoft has used (at times) with Office. Office for Mac has been its own thing with separate versioning.
It may not make sense, but it's far from impossible. Heck Apple was able to implement and release iCloud support for Windows Vista and 7. iCloud- a feature set which supposedly relies so heavily on core OSX Lion functions, that Apple itself was unable (or unwilling) to accommodate iCloud on Snow Leopard.

I am one of the (apparently very very few) who uses Safari for Windows. I have a bootcamp partition on my MBP, and I maintain a separate windows gaming PC (because it is wholly impossible to have a good, affordable Apple-based gaming machine). I installed Safari on each because for the extremely little browsing I do on either windows installation, I like having the consistent UI and user experience that I have on the Mac. It will be too bad if I have to abandon Safari on Windows, but I guess I would ultimately get over it and move on to something else. I am not a big fan of Firefox (no specific reason, just never was) but I also am not hot on using a Google browser. Alas, what's an internet user to do.
Ruahrc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:46 PM   #82
blackpond
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Why?

Easy. to make you have to buy a Mac if you want to use the latest Safari. It's an evil and diabolical trick that Steve and Tim learned from their true master.

If a Windows user's first Mac experience is Windows Safari they won't be switching anytime soon. It's absolutely terrible.
blackpond is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:59 PM   #83
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Yeah, but ...

I was under the impression that Safari for Windows was primarily made so apps could be tested on a Windows machine that were designed for use on a Mac or iOS device?

Other than use by developers and QA people, I never really thought Apple was concerned about making much of a dent in the Windows web browser market-share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
With Chrome providing a leading browser on Windows that uses Webkit and Apple's awful UI integration on Windows, is it any surprise the product never really took off ? Apple really pushes for developers to respect OS X's HIG, yet they completely fail to follow Microsoft's when porting their software to Windows.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:41 PM   #84
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersify View Post
I guess Safari 6 was just too snappy for Windows machines to run...
More like Windows machines are too fast to continue to run slow Safari for Windows craptastic code.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:50 PM   #85
Bheleu
macrumors 6502

Silverlight for Mac

If Safari drops Windows, I wonder if Microsoft will drop Silverlight for Mac - ie. no more Netflix for Mac. Already had issues getting Silverlight to work properly on my Macbook (took a lot of running around, deleting files, etc. to get it to function properly).
Bheleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:51 PM   #86
nia820
macrumors 6502a

I use to use safari on windows but since chrome came along no need for it.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:01 PM   #87
G51989
macrumors 68030

Its meh, unless its for 100% Mac Owners running bootcamp, no point in keep it going imo. Safari on 10.7 was garbage for me. I'd have 4 Tabs open for a hour or so...and I start beach balling? ****, my old storage server ( its an old ass P4 with a **** ton of hard drives stuffed in it, running windows 2003 Server ), can have 15 tabs open no problem, and Safari can't handle 4? Yes, I know 4 tabs with iTunes open is stressful on a Quad Core i7....

As far as the Windows side goes, Firefox is starting to clean up its act again, chrome is great, tons of others as well.

Don't kill me......I have not used Internet Explorer snice Mozilla was on version like 2.5 or something like that, almost 10 years ago.

But the newest versions of IE are ****ing incredible. I feel like Windows XP/Windows 7/ Now Windows 8, Microsoft is stepping it up BIG time.
G51989 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:25 PM   #88
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a

Wish they would get their facts right on here. Safari 5.1.7 is still downloadable officially - http://support.apple.com/downloads/D...fari_Setup.exe
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:31 PM   #89
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888 View Post
I agree with what "rocketman" said on pg 1, post 17....
It's not "rocketman." It's Rocketman. Besides, I am right.

Bloodhound SSC . . . . . . . . . just a thing.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:01 PM   #90
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Safari is also now no longer present on the Windows Apple Software Update application.
CWallace is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:21 PM   #91
marcusj0015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Didn't read the rest of the thread did you ? You can even grab a copy off of MSDN.
So, Microsoft's interface guidelines are incredibly ******, they brought us Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 8. and they don't even follow them themselves, when they're not changing them of course.
marcusj0015 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:20 PM   #92
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Damn...

No more Reading List in my gaming OS when I want to temporarily bookmark something to read in OS X and not interrupt my next game.

Meh...

@Apple: Downvote

Suddenly this video seems stupid (with all its reasoning for the Windows release):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46DHMaCbdxc
(sorry for 240p version, couldn't find a better one in the rush, I get eye cancer from 240p, too :P)

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:32 PM   #93
Hojyoteiri
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
That's funny...try opening the PDF in OS X Preview and see what you get
Works just fine in Preview.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:40 PM   #94
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

What's interesting is that the apple.com search box at the upper-right still says "for Mac+PC" when you search for Safari...

The Windows version is still available for download, though:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariForMacPlusPC.png
Views:	13
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	349852  

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:46 PM   #95
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojyoteiri View Post
Works just fine in Preview.
Sometimes Apples "just work", and sometimes they don't.

Some fans won't admit that, though.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:10 PM   #96
jonnyz
macrumors newbie

No surprise to me. Apple probably decided the small Windows user base for Safari wasn't worth a Metro port for Windows 8, so they killed it.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:23 PM   #97
aafuss1
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to aafuss1 Send a message via MSN to aafuss1 Send a message via Yahoo to aafuss1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
What's interesting is that the apple.com search box at the upper-right still says "for Mac+PC" when you search for Safari...

The Windows version is still available for download, though:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531
Tried, goes to the Safari page. The exe link posted earlier should work but fir h LN, we don't know.

Kind of liked Safari on Windows for its speed and use with iCloud.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:58 PM   #98
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Safari is too slow on Windows. I have always use Chrome on Windows before switching to Mac, and now I use Chrome on my Mac, my iPad, and iPhone. I am a big supporter of Chrome.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:03 PM   #99
lilcosco08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
That would be a great experiment. Apple not release iTunes for Windows. At this point supposedly they don't even need Windows since you can set up iDevices OTA now.
Syncing
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 PM   #100
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
Safari is too slow on Windows. I have always use Chrome on Windows before switching to Mac, and now I use Chrome on my Mac, my iPad, and iPhone. I am a big supporter of Chrome.
I wouldn't use chrome on the iPad or iPhone, 3rd Party Web Browsers on iOS do not get to use the JIT Javascript Engine. Using 3rd Party Web Browsers on iOS will render JavaScript slower than Safari.

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...-chrome-on-ios
jamesnajera is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion