Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 PM   #101
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Good riddance.

Chrome 24x7.

Nexus 5 & 7, OnePlusOne, iPhone 5, iPad 4, 15" rMBP, SP3, Lumia 920.

coolbreeze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:37 PM   #102
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I like Safari for Windows. Works great in bootcamp.

Hopefully it will be updated.
I agree. I really don't like the windows 7 version of Internet Explorer, and have been using Safari instead. Hopefully it'll get updated
moderngamenewb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:23 PM   #103
chrismarle
macrumors Demi-God

Safari on Windows is not that bad. I'm using it since 2009 on my Windows computers and it's pretty solid. Combined with MobileMe (now iCloud) bookmark syncing it's even more awesome.

I really hope that they'll release it soon with iCloud Tabs, omnibox.
chrismarle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 PM   #104
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Come on Apple... don't get rid of it. I want Safari 6 for Windows.
MythicFrost is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:55 PM   #105
camomac
macrumors 6502a

bye windows.. i'm really not going to miss you. actually i haven't missed you in years.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:51 AM   #106
Silono
Banned

I think you people are missing the obvious. Apple built iCloud integration into Safari 6. From this version forward, version parity is impossible, as long as iCloud doesn't exist on windows that is.
Silono is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:25 AM   #107
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silono View Post
I think you people are missing the obvious. Apple built iCloud integration into Safari 6. From this version forward, version parity is impossible, as long as iCloud doesn't exist on windows that is.
Errr...why couldn't it work on Windows because of iCloud? All iCloud is, is Apple's apps talking to Apple's servers and passing around data. There is nothing special, unique, or magic about it. In fact, other iCloud functionality already exists in Windows.
TennisandMusic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:37 AM   #108
Silono
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Errr...why couldn't it work on Windows because of iCloud? All iCloud is, is Apple's apps talking to Apple's servers and passing around data. There is nothing special, unique, or magic about it. In fact, other iCloud functionality already exists in Windows.
There is nothing magical about it, correct. But until now, Apple has maintained the same features in both versions. People will want tab syncing in Safari for windows, but they won't provide it. Does this make things clearer?
Silono is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:41 AM   #109
Fatboy71
macrumors 6502a

I really hope it's going to still be supported for Windows. I like using Safari for the Reading List feature, has I can catch up with web pages I've added from my iPhone, iPad on my pc and vice versa. And also with iCloud I have the same bookmarks on Safari on my pc has I have on my iPhone and iPad.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:11 AM   #110
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I think you are missing something obvious. iCloud is available on Windows.
steve-p is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:44 AM   #111
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502a

I really hope this isn't true.

Chrome is a horrible browser in my opinion.
Firefox is actually my preferred browser, but iCloud syncing is locked to Safari.

I am constantly using Safari to send bookmarks and my reading list between my PC and iPad. Today, I was expecting to get the Unified Smart Search Field and be able to sync tabs across devices, not have the browser disappear.

I agree that Safari's UI is fairly ugly on Windows, and it certainly seems the least stable browser on my machine, but syncing is of major importance to me, and it also lets you use OS X's superior font rendering rather than ClearType.

The worst part is, even though both Chrome and Firefox have their own sync solutions, you don't have the option to change the default browser on iOS devices, so you're stuck with Safari. (and even if you could change it, they are considerably slower than Safari on iOS)

And for people saying that we should just buy a Mac, aside from the fact that it is a significant expense, Apple need to actually put 2012 hardware in a tower for me to switch back. (and preferably not server-grade hardware to inflate the price) All of Apple's hardware offerings are considerably slower than my current PC, at significantly higher prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheleu View Post
If Safari drops Windows, I wonder if Microsoft will drop Silverlight for Mac - ie. no more Netflix for Mac. Already had issues getting Silverlight to work properly on my Macbook (took a lot of running around, deleting files, etc. to get it to function properly).
I'm pretty sure Microsoft is already killing Silverlight, aren't they? (not just for Mac)
Beta Particle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:48 AM   #112
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
Probably because all the Windows Safari users switched to Chrome
Of cause gotta have a buggy low security browser to match the buggy low security OS.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:03 AM   #113
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Apple should have made an official notice telling the Safari for Windows has been discontinued instead of just pulling the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixel View Post
If apple kill windows Safari they'll at least have to make iCloud support non safari bookmarks on the windows end?
iCloud syncs bookmarks in Windows with internet explorer also. Alas no support for Chrome or FF.

Quote:
iCloud has been available for Windows since day one, and is kept up to date: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455

Last edited by charlesdayton; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
charlesdayton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:05 AM   #114
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

They shouldn't even have Safari for Windows, just iTunes is enough. I don't see many people using Safari under Windows.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:09 AM   #115
macadam212
macrumors regular

I can still see it: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531?v...S&locale=en_US

Are you sure they pulled it? Apple might release Safari 6 for Windows a bit later and it's not unusual for Windows software to be updated first on Windows before eventually making it's way to the Mac. Works both ways!

Personally I think it's here to stay and will bring iCloud features to Windows. I think it should look more Mac like again, I know windows users that used it for that reason.
macadam212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:18 AM   #116
Costa Del Sol
macrumors newbie

Safari was simply a poor, buggy browser for Windows. Love it a lot for Mac, but just couldn't mess with the Windows version. Better than IE, but that's it.

They should either discontinue it or release a much better coded Safari 6 for Windows.
Costa Del Sol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:46 AM   #117
mrjayviper
macrumors regular

Love safari on both OSes. Hope they continue to update it.😞😞😞
mrjayviper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:12 AM   #118
Mike1298
macrumors newbie

Who uses it?!?!

WAIT! but who uses Safari on Windows as the default one or even as the secondary browser, it's probably gonna be Chrome or Firefox.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:00 AM   #119
fermat-au
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
.01% of Windows users are going to be really disappointed about this.
I think you mean .001% of Windows users.

Actually I used Safari for Windows the other day. I need to be logged in to 3 twitter accounts simultaneously, so need 3 browsers open.
fermat-au is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:23 AM   #120
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Windows 8 has a very high degree of hardware acceleration. I suspect Apple is doing a major revision for W8 of both Safari and iTunes.
I surely hope so. iTunes is a sore spot for PC. When you start it, it freezes for minutes on fast systems without even using any resources (CPU, RAM, or HDD) and when looking for updates on Apps, you get the next freeze. I neither like Chrome nor Safari, to be honest. Both lack x64 compilation. So, my choice is Waterfox (64Bit Firefox). Nice side effect: All kind of nice addons like Addblock, DownThemAll!, Flash downloader tools, and so on are available. I know that only makes a difference over 4GB RAM use which rarely occurs. Well, I have 16GB, so, bring it on!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:06 PM   #121
inlovewithi
macrumors 6502a

I used to have Safari for Windows, used it often because it had a different and nice look to it. But then they changed it to look just like Chrome. There was no point to it anymore.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:27 PM   #122
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Good riddance Safari! You are a horrible browser. That's why I stay away from it on Snow Leopard. Now if Apple could only fix the constant XCode 4 crashes as well... you open XCode 4, open a project, boom it crashes. Hundreds or thousands of people complain about it. Just do a Google search.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:44 PM   #123
dru`
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadua View Post
I don't understand what point you were trying to make.
The text of the Windows UX guidelines pdf is invisible when viewed in Preview.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:09 PM   #124
Barefoot Dave
macrumors newbie

Just downloaded Safari for Windows

from here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#...0for%20windows
Barefoot Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:30 PM   #125
Riot Nrrrd
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Riot Nrrrd Send a message via AIM to Riot Nrrrd
No one cares about this besides me, but ...

At my work we have lots of systems with 3ware (now LSI) RAID controllers that have built-in Web servers that use Secure HTTPS connections.

Recently my officemate (who runs Windows 7) complained that his Internet Explorer on Windows no longer could connect to these embedded Web servers.

We did some tests and it turned out that neither Google Chrome nor Firefox could connect, either. They all get "Connection Reset" errors now and are unable to establish a secure (HTTPS) session.

Turns out the issue is described in this LSI KnowledgeBase article: 3DM2 session 'Connection Reset'

My officemate was very happy to find that Safari 5.1.7 for Windows did not have this problem and still worked - it was able to connect successfully to these 3ware controllers so he could get his work done.
iPad Air [64 GB]
Riot Nrrrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion