Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Title says its all.

When multiple versions of Microsoft Office are installed on a Mac computer, how do you set an older version of MS Office as the default to open files?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
With the Mac, you can set the default application for one file or ALL the files. Either way, you still use the Get Info command from the Finder. If you're changing one file, set the default application in this window. If you're changing ALL the file, set the default application and select Change All.

As far as having two versions of Office, the only differentiating point between the two is likely to be just the icon. You might have to browse to the appropriate folder to point to the correct version of Office for you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Title says its all.

When multiple versions of Microsoft Office are installed on a Mac computer, how do you set an older version of MS Office as the default to open files?
aarond12 is right. I'm curious: why would you keep multiple versions?

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Couldn't tell you. Was asking for a neighbor.

Aren't some versions of office more compatible than others? I seem to remember getting a recommendation to send 02-03 or 97-98 versions if possible when sending to a windows user.

Might be different now, I'll ask him.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Couldn't tell you. Was asking for a neighbor.

Aren't some versions of office more compatible than others? I seem to remember getting a recommendation to send 02-03 or 97-98 versions if possible when sending to a windows user.

Might be different now, I'll ask him.
You can save files for earlier versions without having earlier versions installed. Just do Save As and select from the format options. There is no need to keep earlier versions installed.

Brendanmac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Deactivated office 365 opens as default

I tried Office 365 for a month and have not yet decided to use it instead of my current office 2008 for mac. So I have not uninstalled office 365 in case i do want to use it again. But it defaults as the office app to open docs or excel etc

How do I make the office 2008 as the default instead of the later version?

Much thanks
Brendan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.