Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I'm looking for a nice thin, cool leather bag to carry a 13" MBA and an iPad.

Have been plowing the web and reading this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1220990/

and have taken a liking towards either the Happy owl briefcase (http://www.happyowlstudio.com/collections/all/products/briefcase-for-macbook-air-13)

or

Hard graft's Flatpack heritage (http://www.hardgraft.com/products/flatpack-heritage)

Are there any owners of these bags who can comment on plus/minus sides?

I realize they are quite different beasts but both look to be of good quality and built towards fitting a MBA and iPad and not much else (which is what I am looking for).

Any other similar fitting leather bags I should look at?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I know you asked for leather but I really like this particular solution:

Hex Academy Convertible

If I were to choose between the two you posted, I would go for the Hard Graft hands down.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I don't have any experience with either but the Hard graft looks way better! I'm tempted to get one myself but I can't afford it right now :p

tdfreeman

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I pre-ordered the Happy Owl case with a discount. The part for the MBA fits perfect, but not too snug. I'd say the accessory part is about the width of the charger. I can fit my MBA, iPad , charger if needed, and a couple dongles (monitor, Ethernet, iPad -> monitor), but that's about it. There's not much room, but the size is the point. Quality is great, but never had any complaints with the Happy Owl stuff. Not happy with the front "buckles" going in and out of meetings, but I assume it's more about looks than how quick you can open and close your briefcase.

The other one you listed looks to be for an 11" MBA and I didn't see one on the site for the 13".

kll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks all.

I know you asked for leather but I really like this particular solution:

Hex Academy Convertible

Looks neat, but as you say not quite what I'm looking for.

I pre-ordered the Happy Owl case with a discount. The part for the MBA fits perfect, but not too snug. I'd say the accessory part is about the width of the charger. I can fit my MBA, iPad , charger if needed, and a couple dongles (monitor, Ethernet, iPad -> monitor), but that's about it. There's not much room, but the size is the point. Quality is great, but never had any complaints with the Happy Owl stuff. Not happy with the front "buckles" going in and out of meetings, but I assume it's more about looks than how quick you can open and close your briefcase.

The other one you listed looks to be for an 11" MBA and I didn't see one on the site for the 13".

Thanks for the details on the Happy Owl case. Yes, the front straps looked like they could take a few secs to close, but I guess not much of an overall issue.

You're right that it looks like the Flatpack only comes for the 11" right now, though a few days ago it was also listed as being available for the 13". Perhaps an issue of availability — will have to check up on that.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
My coworker has Hard Graft flat pack and it looks really nice in person. The leather is soft to touch, very thin and very lightweight. My only gripe is the price but it is also the pro. You get what you pay for... :)

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I'm looking for a nice thin, cool leather bag to carry a 13" MBA and an iPad.

Have been plowing the web and reading this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1220990/

and have taken a liking towards either the Happy owl briefcase (http://www.happyowlstudio.com/collections/all/products/briefcase-for-macbook-air-13)

or

Hard graft's Flatpack heritage (http://www.hardgraft.com/products/flatpack-heritage)

Are there any owners of these bags who can comment on plus/minus sides?

I realize they are quite different beasts but both look to be of good quality and built towards fitting a MBA and iPad and not much else (which is what I am looking for).

Any other similar fitting leather bags I should look at?

Thanks for your time.

WOW! The Hard Graft is sexxxy! I have added that to the top of my Christmas list, lol.

I'm not usually a big fan of leather accessories, but that looks killer.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am seriously considering getting the Hard Graft. Do you think it would be ok in the rain? I live in Dublin where sometimes it's not easy to know when it's going to rain and it's often like that. I ride a lot (bicycle/motorcycle) and so I won't be able to use an umbrella so I don't want to spend a lot of money on a bag that will get damaged in the rain. None of the bags I currently use are waterproof but they haven't gotten any water damage or started to stink.

Thanks all.

Looks neat, but as you say not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the details on the Happy Owl case. Yes, the front straps looked like they could take a few secs to close, but I guess not much of an overall issue.

You're right that it looks like the Flatpack only comes for the 11" right now, though a few days ago it was also listed as being available for the 13". Perhaps an issue of availability — will have to check up on that.

What did you end up getting OP?

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Team Timm

macrumors regular
May 17, 2012
FL
Happ Owl!

I have the Happy Owl briefcase and I LOVE it! I like anything small and compact but enough space for all my stuff. This bag is perfect!

Fiancé loves it, coworkers are envious, it's a bit pricey at $200+ but it is totally worth it!

Fits my Air, iPad, wallet, cables, headphones, thumb drives, and my work files nice and neatly with room to spare. You will not be disappointed by this bag!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.